Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:51 pm 

I'm looking for one, and I am prepared to pay up to $1K (but I wouldn't mind spending less since I am not a competitor by any means). It must be a repeater at least and preferably semi-auto. A few people have recommended Ruger, but there must be a dozen different models, and while I've only seen them on the net, I have never seen one that appears to have target sights.

I'm not rejecting Ruger by any means, but if you recommend it, please fill me in on model preferences and what is required in the way of add-ons to make it range ready. And I'm also very open to any other recommendations you may have. I'll be shooting paper 10 - 25 meters.

Thanks for any advice you can offer (website URLs would also be appreciated).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:44 am 

The Ruger Mk III is a popular pistol, as is the Browning Buck Mark, which is available in many different configurations. They do not, however, have "target shooting" triggers as they are fairly heavy. I had a Buck Mark Plus UDX, which was a very nice handgun. I never got around to trying the "Heggis flip" modification to lighten the trigger pull.

There are other options. You can look for a S&W Model 41, which is a fine target pistol, and a used model may be found for slightly less than $1000 (they are over $1500 when new). There are some pistols that are no longer made that ruled the target shooting world for those with a average man's budget, including some High Standard models such as the Citation, which can be had for $600 - $700. The Belgian-made Browning Challenger is also a good choice (and there is one on CGN at this moment for $400). Both the High Standard and Belgian-made Challenger have very nice triggers. I have a Citation and a Challenger I (as the Belgian Challenger is referred to by many; there are the American-made successors the Challenger II and III) and like them a great deal. In addition to the EE on CGN, check out Trade Ex Canada, which carries used target shooting handguns https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/74

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:57 am 

S&W 41 or High Standard, but be prepared to pay around 800$.

If you want a gun that shoots just as good. Look at a S&W 22A1. They sell for around 350$ new. Once you remove the mag safety you get a better trigger pull. The grips are nice and the ribbed sights is nice. But the model is discontinued because they came out with the victory. You can still get parts for it. But firing pin breaks every 2000rds and recoil plate. Which isn't expensive. Still I like the pistol.

I got also a Ruger MKIII 2245 and I like it but I had issues with it. Crooked sights, mounts, etc. Im on #3 trying to make it right. It shoots accurately and 25M not benched I avg around 2.5" groups. Same with the 22A1. If you looking at Rugers look at the MKII older ones. They were built better. If you get a MKIII 2245 get one that you can change grips. I wish I got that model being its a wee bit small for my hands.

Changing a bushing on it, made the trigger better. I have a competition trigger on mine. I still like my MKII 2245 that I sold to my friend.

Buckmarks are nice pistols but they take a bit of rounds to work the kinks out. You can get a Gold target model with hooded sights that used can be bought around 450.

A friend will say Beretta Neos.

Grand Power X Trim are suppose to be nice guns. Theyre around 800$ but more for the sport shooting and training.

Find someone local with these choices and ask to test them out. When I first got started in shooting, I used to goto ranges with my safety gear and 22 in my hand. And ask people if I could borrow their guns or try. Many had no problem.

Our club all they run is Ruger MKII's

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:01 am 

I'd recommend looking at one of these Ruger models.

Ruger MK III Target Model 10159 Blue

Ruger MK III Target Model 10103 SS

Ruger MK III Competition Model 10112 SS

add the following:
Volquartsen trigger/sear accurizing kit
if you don't like the Ruger rear sight get a Volquatsen target rear sight
hammer bushing to eliminate the mag disconnect

gun and parts can be found from re-sellers for less than the suggested retail prices

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:18 am 

Model 41 is a heavy pistol, keep weight in mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:12 am 

Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far. I've had mention of the SW41 before, and it looks sweet, However, a bit over my budget at $1700+.

In the Ruger category, it would appear the Marklll comes in many variations, many of which are not distinguished in many websites. The only one I've found that is descriptively and visually portrayed as a true target gun is this one from London BullsEye:

http://www.bullseyelondon.com/new-ruger-mark-iii-target-22lr-pistol-5-5-barrel-laminate-target-grips-blued-finish-10-rnd-target-sights-10159-canada.html

By the sounds of it, the 2245 model is not one for the top of the list, and retailers are really poor with descriptors for these guns. I have heard elsewhere that the MarkIII does not really have a target trigger. PG mentioned this, which confirms these earlier reports. Does anyone know what (professionally done) mod (and money) I would be looking at to give me a light/adjustable trigger?

I did see the Volquartsen name mentioned for sight replacement, but no mention of them as a pistol option. Were I to focus more closely on a Ruger, and were it necessary to pay for a trigger mod, should I perhaps be considering one of Volquartsen's lower-end custom Markllls where the "target" treatment is already done (grips, sight, trigger, etc.)?

A little closer, but still not yet confident enough to jump in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:46 am 

Give serious thought to buying a good used handgun for target shooting. They don't make them like High Standard used to anymore due to reasons of economy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:00 am 

Would you guys please stop it with all these great recommendations!!!! [emoji35]
I'm trying to stop buying more pistols!!!!
[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:23 am 

Go yo Wild West and test a few.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:38 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far. I've had mention of the SW41 before, and it looks sweet, However, a bit over my budget at $1700+.

In the Ruger category, it would appear the Marklll comes in many variations, many of which are not distinguished in many websites. The only one I've found that is descriptively and visually portrayed as a true target gun is this one from London BullsEye:

By the sounds of it, the 2245 model is not one for the top of the list, and retailers are really poor with descriptors for these guns. I have heard elsewhere that the MarkIII does not really have a target trigger. PG mentioned this, which confirms these earlier reports. Does anyone know what (professionally done) mod (and money) I would be looking at to give me a light/adjustable trigger?

I did see the Volquartsen name mentioned for sight replacement, but no mention of them as a pistol option. Were I to focus more closely on a Ruger, and were it necessary to pay for a trigger mod, should I perhaps be considering one of Volquartsen's lower-end custom Markllls where the "target" treatment is already done (grips, sight, trigger, etc.)?

Did you click on any of the links in my previous post?

All three Rugers in the links are portrayed as Target guns. Also do a Google search for gun writer reviews of these guns...you will come up with lots of info. Do the same on Youtube.

The Volquartsen links take you to the trigger and sight recs.

Same for the hammer bushing.

The Volquartsen trigger, sights and hammer bushing are easily installed...no need for a gunsmith.

I just happen to have the MKIII Target Model 10159 and installed the options mentioned. The trigger went from 6# to a nice 2.25# and is adjustable for pre and over travel. The sight is a nice improvement over the factory sight.

Volquartsen Trigger kit and TK Bushing

another Volquartsen trigger kit, Sight and a BAM Bushing (same design as the TK)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:33 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
I perhaps be considering one of Volquartsen's lower-end custom Markllls where the "target" treatment is already done (grips, sight, trigger, etc.)?

Might be tough finding Volquartsen firearms in Canada.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:55 pm 

rws wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
I perhaps be considering one of Volquartsen's lower-end custom Markllls where the "target" treatment is already done (grips, sight, trigger, etc.)?

Might be tough finding Volquartsen firearms in Canada.

Sylvester Sports in Bonnyville AB is the Canadian VQ dealer. Ive ordered from them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:11 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Dangitt.... I just typed a long review of my pistols and forgot to hit submit. :oops:

The quick version..

I have a Smith 617-10, Ruger std, Ruger MK1, Ruger 22/45 Lite, Browning buckmark
617, love it. Stainless revolver, 10 shot, best trigger of all mine.
Ruger std is old and I don't shoot it much.
Ruger MK1 is my most used, added extended mag rel and modded slide loc.
Ruger 22/45, did the whole tandem cross kit so far, didn't like it in stock form.
Buckmark, best bang for the buck. Used with 4 mags $300. Great shooter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:22 pm 

I need to order a new rear sight for mine. The stock target sight the pin came out and it wouldn't adjust. That was my final straw with ruger.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:38 pm 

rws:
Quote:
Did you click on any of the links in my previous post?

All three Rugers in the links are portrayed as Target guns. Also do a Google search for gun writer reviews of these guns...you will come up with lots of info. Do the same on Youtube.

The Volquartsen links take you to the trigger and sight recs.

Same for the hammer bushing.

The Volquartsen trigger, sights and hammer bushing are easily installed...no need for a gunsmith.

I just happen to have the MKIII Target Model 10159 and installed the options mentioned. The trigger went from 6# to a nice 2.25# and is adjustable for pre and over travel. The sight is a nice improvement over the factory sight.

I did, indeed; thank you for same, as well as all for your pix. The issue I had was actually finding model numbers and descriptions at the retail web level. I have since emailed several to ask for the specific models they carry.

Thanks again for all of the info you provided, and thanks to all who participated in this thread.