Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:31 pm 

This Break Barrel Novice had a chance this past weekend to run about 100 pellets through my new Legacy.
Honestly I easily could have chosen the Benji Trail All-Weather just as easily, but had to pick one of the two so the Legacy it was. (Trail was heavier)

When I got it I had a heck of a time breaking the barrel the first time... tried it, then read the instructions, took some minutes to figure it out that the end of the barrel needed a quick tap rather than pressure to release it... Perhaps this is common knowledge to those accustomed to break-barrel rifles...

The Legacy is relatively easy to cock (when I learned the trick) and it is a weighty rifle but still manageable for someone who has really only shot 22xx modded carbines.

If memory serves the handling and recoil of this NP rifle is stronger than the 22xx I had in 2006/7 and due to the weight more difficult to hold steady for targets. Despite that challenge I found 10m groups reasonable with Premiere Pointed and even 20m were fine. This past weekend session was really about zeroing the scope - which I did. I have read various reviews of the Legacy & Trail 3-9x40 scope to be 'crap' and folks could not zero it in. I read the instructions (finally) and learned that 30 clicks adjusts it 1", and this revelation speeded me on my way to zeroing much faster ;-)

I was too easily hitting veg cans at 25m but 30-35m was a challenge - tried about 15 shots and did not hit a can... perhaps was not aiming high enough...

My impressions all-in-all are quite favourable, and I look forward to the next time I can ensure my scope is zeroed properly and then enjoy shooting. Will provide pics of groups.

I don't know how the Legacy & Trail really differ but I think the Trail would have been as much fun, although the one at CTire I tried was heavier than the Legacy. I'm told the Trail wood stock would be lighter.

Cheers,
Will

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:47 pm 

Try some different pellets, Will. Most recommend starting with some JSB options; very often the search will stop there. I'd also recommend you ditch the pointed pellets. Domed pellets, under most circumstances, in most rifles, are more accurate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:23 pm 

Is that the Jim Shockey Legacy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:25 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Try some different pellets, Will. Most recommend starting with some JSB options; very often the search will stop there. I'd also recommend you ditch the pointed pellets. Domed pellets, under most circumstances, in most rifles, are more accurate.

This is the kind of practical reply that keeps me coming back :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:26 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Is that the Jim Shockey Legacy?

The very one ~

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:42 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:

Domed JSB - Should I get 5.5, 5.51, or 5.52mm?

https://www.dlairgun.com/Search.pl?ct=pl&br=JSB&wr=.22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:32 pm 

I have a few different models of this rifle and the non-pal (495fps) ones are really nice to shoot. The recoil is almost non-existent, they are very quiet, and reasonably accurate. The full power ones are a different story. The gas ram (Nitro Piston) is much larger in dia. and stronger..of course it is more violent in the shot cycle as well.

The .22 495 runs out of steam pretty quickly and you will be low at 35 yards if zeroed at 10 or 15.

I've been lucky that the CPHP (Crosman Premiere Hollow Point) is good enough in all of mine except one..a PAL Trail synthetic if it matters.

Try a Sampler tin, or just order the 5.51....the 5.52 may be too tight and 5.50 too loose but you should be able to tell by how the 5.51 goes in.

I just wish the legal requirement was 600fps instead of sub 500...just that LITTLE bit more to flatten out the trajectory when you dont need 700 or 850. I only punch paper targets, so in my case the full power ones are way overkill and yet <500 is so slow you can watch the pellet arc its way to the target (almost).

What Ive started doing is buying the Various tune kits for a hundred bucks or so, the 12ft lb or "low power" versions. They seem to take the rifle down in power to somewhere between 500 and 600 fps while smoothing things out nicely.

Now if hunting with these, then of course you would want that full power 750 or 800fps, both for energy and range.

EDIT: Please do not install one of these "tune kits" in a non-pal rifle unless you have your PAL. It WILL take the rifle over 500fps and now you have a "firearm" which requires a PAL, proper storage, trigger locks, away from ammunition, and on and on and on.

Last edited by ITGUY on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:35 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Domed JSB - Should I get 5.5, 5.51, or 5.52mm?

https://www.dlairgun.com/Search.pl?ct=pl&br=JSB&wr=.22

I guess that's the point of testing out different pellets, Will; there is definitely a difference from one rifle brand/model to another, but different copies of the "exact same rifle" can also vary. The standard is 5.5 in .22, but the beauty of JSB pellets is that they are a softer lead, and tend to conform well to slight variations. notice here that we are talking 1 1/100th of a mm difference here between the three, so that's how much difference may be significant, depending on the rifle you're holding in your hand.

Email D&L (mention you're a long-standing member of CAF) and ask if they are still packaging samplers. If so, they may send you, say, 150 of each size for approximately the price of a single 500 count tin. If not, start with 5.5mm and observe how they slip into the breech. It should be a snug fit, but not such that it requires any noticeable force to chamber them. Shoot the whole tin to get a true reading on how they load and how they shoot. If they consistently just fall loosely into the chamber, trying one of the other dome diameters (.51 or .52) is worthwhile. If it's a snug fit and they shoot well, you've found a good pellet, but I wouldn't necessarily dismiss trying the 5.51s as well. Use paper targets and a rested position when you're testing new pellets to see where they are hitting on a consistent basis at your shooting distance.

Another factor, of course, is the weight of the pellet; you may want to try a couple of variations there, as some rifles work better with heavier pellets (albeit at a slightly slower FPS). If you find that your rifle shoots very well with 5.5mm pellets, try a couple more weights at that size. How many you sample depends, of course, on how fanatical you are about finding the absolute perfect pellet for your rifle. As I said earlier, you may be perfectly satisfied with your first trial of JSB 5.5s. :)

You may also want to contact our fellow member sniper Dan at the Forum's airgun store (Its clickable ad is always at the near-top, left side of a top level page on the Forum. Dan has many years' experience and a great selection of pellets at good prices. Don't know if he offers sampler packs, but he's easy to find and easy to talk to.

Good luck on your journey.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:48 pm 

I agree with the above post...get a sampler pack of sizes because each and every gun is unique in how they favour one size of pellet over another....Even 10 microns too large....or .01 mm ...1/5 th the size of a human hair...will be enough to shave 20 fps or so off the numbers..maybe more...depending on the hardness of a particular pellet....If you can't get a sampler pack then I'd start in the basement and go with the standard 5.50...good luck...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:51 am 

Thanks folks. Costed out two different tins of JSB (250 pel) and with tax and shipping = $43. For 500 pels from D&L...

Or, and more likely, will go to CT and try Premiere HP 500 tin for $16 plus tax first...

Will ask about a sample JSB pack

Thanks again...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:14 pm 

As the reviews for the Benji NP Trail & Legacy state: the trigger needs improvement... :lol: :?

So today being a day off I made a 75 - 90 degree clockwise turn adjustment to the 2nd stage and fast-forward 30 minutes and several adjustments later - yuck. Wish I had not even touched it :roll: :oops: :? :lol:

Oh well... I have seen reference to a trigger upgrade kit, possibly at Scopes & Ammo, is that correct?

a few they offer:

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... more-p-242

http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... les-p-1056

Thanks ~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:59 pm 

Thought it time to use my girl again so shot five 5-shot groups at 7m while sitting on the couch, semi-rested using RWS .22 Superdome 14.5 grain. That is a quarter. :roll: :lol:

Will take it to the range next time and try 25 yrd groups. Wish the range had 10m or even 20 yards so I could sight my scope better. 25 yrds is likely stretching the practical limits of this rifle for groups but its all fun.

Attachments:
_MG_6660.jpg
_MG_6660.jpg [ 69.66 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:56 pm 

Buy your pellets from Dan on the forum store here . Much better pricing and by far the fastest shipping I have ever seen. He has large quantities so if you find a really good pellet you can reorder and get the same batch (most of the time ) . I found the 13.4 gr domed JSB shot best from the sub 500fps crosman guns . 5.52 head size

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:50 pm 

I appreciate you pointing me in this direction - cheers ~

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
...I found the 13.4 gr domed JSB shot best from the sub 500fps crosman guns . 5.52 head size

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:58 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
Thanks folks. Costed out two different tins of JSB (250 pel) and with tax and shipping = $43. For 500 pels from D&L...

Or, and more likely, will go to CT and try Premiere HP 500 tin for $16 plus tax first...

Will ask about a sample JSB pack

Thanks again...

I hear ya on the shipping.Must have been a mistake.$40.00 to ship $8.50 tin of pellets.