Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:00 pm 

Looking to gift this 6" Competition model for myself this Christmas :twisted: :P :o

Owners chime in and do tell of your experiences - and maintenance or performance mods.

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:43 pm 
Supporting Members

Co2,pellets,and shoot.....very low maintenance gun and fun to shoot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:27 pm 

Good choice!
Love both my CP88 and CP88 Comp,
looking to get a third?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:53 pm 
Supporting Members

I will make one comment.....if you are looking, try to get the one with the blued finish and not the black paint. IMO it looks so much better blued......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:08 pm 

Awesome Jonathan ~

notec wrote:
I will make one comment.....if you are looking, try to get the one with the blued finish and not the black paint. IMO it looks so much better blued......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:09 pm 

If a mod is glancing this way - I think I would have preferred this thread in General Airgun chat ~ :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:31 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
If a mod is glancing this way - I think I would have preferred this thread in General Airgun chat ~ :roll: :lol:

8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:54 pm 

I'm looking at one to replace my Vigilante.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24 pm 

Some obvious stuff you should be aware of but won't really think of until you get your gun. The 88 shoots in both single and double action but since it doesn't have blowback, for single action you have to thumb the hammer back before each shot. You will probably want to always shoot single action because thumbing the hammer back indexes the mag so the trigger then just has to release the hammer. It's also easier to hold the gun steady (better accuracy) and also because it has been noted that this gun fires harder in single action than in double action - this is because the distance the hammer ends up falling is greater in single action than in double action.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:24 am 

I have a CP 88 which I converted to a competition. It must be at least 15 years old. It has gone through thousands of rounds and is still in great condition. I recently measured it at just under 500 fps with a chrony, well beyond the official 450 fps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm 

jfcooper wrote:
I have a CP 88 which I converted to a competition. It must be at least 15 years old. It has gone through thousands of rounds and is still in great condition. I recently measured it at just under 500 fps with a chrony, well beyond the official 450 fps.

Cool - what pellets did you use for that fps?

If I hd that power I would try shooting some heavy domed pellets for tin-can smack-down fun 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:30 pm 

Plink-Panther wrote:
jfcooper wrote:

Cool - what pellets did you use for that fps?

If I hd that power I would try shooting some heavy domed pellets for tin-can smack-down fun 8)

I used Crossman Pointed, 7.4gr. Hitting tin cans is fun (and destructive).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:16 pm 

lleader wrote:
it has been noted that this gun fires harder in single action than in double action - this is because the distance the hammer ends up falling is greater in single action than in double action.

Why is that then? Are you sure it's not just because double action leans more towards rapid fire, which will lead to the power dropping off?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:31 pm 

DDtank wrote:
lleader wrote:
it has been noted that this gun fires harder in single action than in double action - this is because the distance the hammer ends up falling is greater in single action than in double action.

Why is that then? Are you sure it's not just because double action leans more towards rapid fire, which will lead to the power dropping off?

I wish I had some figures to actually back this up, but my chrony is non-functional at the moment. If you have an 88 cock the hammer and note its position relative to the gun frame, then pull the trigger in double action and compare how far back the hammer comes before it releases.

Edit: I searched back a bit and found a reference to the CP88 being stronger in single action .
alstone wrote:
I have the CP88 which I think is one of the better Umarex pistols, to improve the accuracy I squeezed the sides of the slide in slightly by folding a cloth around it and using a vice to apply the pressure, this as the effect of taking any slop out of the barrel, you may notice that each time you change magazine the poi changes, this will cure this problem, be careful and don’t crack one of the sides off.

The other mod you can do with out taking the gun apart is to increase the cocking lever spring pressure by bending it a little bit more, this as the effect of holding the hammer release in a bit longer in double action mode so increasing the output power to the same as single action. This spring is located inside the right grip.
Al

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:08 pm 

3 wks ago I thought I was going to get a 2240 with 2250/60b conversion for a winter fun project. Now I think I need the 88 Comp... sooner than Christmas... :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next