Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:08 pm 

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/b ... -p8696460e
Shows out of stock online but may be available at stores

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/c ... -p8510877e

Attachments:
Crosmans on sale at PA.jpg
Crosmans on sale at PA.jpg [ 39.22 KiB | Viewed 1794 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:56 pm 
Supporting Member

I hate Princess Auto. :evil:

Every time I go in there I find something else to buy that I didn't know I needed. :evil:

Sometimes it's something I didn't even know existed. :evil:

I pore over their sale flyers and resist, but when I'm standing there, and the Vantage is right on the shelf, right next to me, beckoning.... no shipping charges.... no....must....resist....

So with GST it came to $104.99.

I've lube tuned it, and it's a great fun shooter; quiet and accurate at least to 25 metres. It Chrony's at 497 fps with JSB 4.51, and 513 fps with H&N Excite Hammers! Bonus! :shock:

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:30 am 

This ought to make you walk back in: they have Crosman CO2 on sale, box of 40 for $22 (or $15 for a box of 25) http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4 ... -p8490872e

Thankfully one of the stores here (there are two in town) no longer displays airguns, so I'm immune from hating myself after walking past the aisle and heading to the cashier. Reason I was given: too much shoplifting.

Curious what the fps will be once the Vantage is broken in. I'm guessing a decrease of 20 to 30 fps after some 600 pellets are put through, so please let us know what you get then. Also, how is the trigger compared to the Air Hawk?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:29 pm 
Supporting Member

It won't take me long to get 5 or 6 hundred pellets through and I'll Chrony it again.

I don't know what it did pre-lube tune because I only fired one pellet then took it apart. I did a string of 10 a few days ago and with the JSB 4.51's I got average fps 496.29, extreme spread of 9.6 fps, variation of 7.1 and standard deviation of 2.67.

I think of these inexpensive air rifles as air rifle "kits" and for me a lot of the fun is modifying, tuning, etc.

I modified the Vantage trigger with the 2 screw mod (from Chevota), polished all the innards, and it is a really nice smooth and genuine two stage.

The Chinese T-05's like on the Ruger are nicer triggers but I've modified them too with a 2 screw mod and interior polishing and they end up with a lighter first stage and a really crisp break.

All my triggers are adjusted a bit too light for hunting, (I can adjust the pull to be harder) but since I'm a target shooter that works for me.

I actually went into PA to get a tiger torch (they were out), but the air guns were right where the torches are normally displayed. I almost bought that $34.95 one to play with, but then I saw the Vantage. It beckoned....... :shock:

It's just a good thing I'm an hour's drive away from them.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:34 pm 

Is the Vantage a Chinese rifle with some kind of black fiber O ring - or they different rifles?