Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:55 pm 

Valor 525R, Made in England
I picked this up today for $20 and couldn't be happier. The last 1 of these I ever saw was rotting into the floor of some backwoods hunting camp long ago in the 1970's.
Overall 9/10, Enamel 9/10. Missing the burner assembly but no problem.
I dropped a 9" metal pie plate into the burner chamber, then 8" round enamel roaster, an 8" ceramic flower pot base and a handful of tealights.
Voila! Instant apartment friendly fire place.
Nice satisfying red glow from the glass window, as well as dancing ambient light from the combustion chamber, and a surprising amount of confection/radiant heat.
The pictures do not do this justice!
Well that was the highlight of my day, as my plans went totally sideways on me today. This pick more than more makes up for it though.

“The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, / Gang aft agley,"

Cheers & TGIF

Click on PICS for proper orientation.
Attachment:
IMG_2201.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG [ 544.03 KiB | Viewed 870 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG [ 318.02 KiB | Viewed 870 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:02 am 

Nice find. I understand your pleasure. You must have had past experience in the ambiance of wood heat. I myself grew up in a comunity where wood stoves were the norm. The pool hall I frequented had a much larger version of that exact model heater. The pot belly stove was also a camp favorite as you mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:07 pm 

How do these thing work? How can you make a wood fire without a chimney?
I WANT ONE!!! :shock:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:08 pm 

DocGadget wrote:

It originally had a kerosene burner in it, like an oil lamp only with a large circular wick, similar to the modern Kerosene Heaters currently available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm 

I too am interested in this.
Ever since the AB government came up with this ridiculous money grab tax us commoners call carbon tax - but their clever marketing dept. instead market it to us as Climate Leadership Plan - we're now paying a lot more for heating up our homes. You get dinged for natural gas and electricity.

So, naturally I'd like to send them a message written in smog causing smoke - call it smoke signals - by using a wood burning stove of sorts. My place doesn't have a fireplace or a chimney. So smoke signals may not be easy to read by anyone outside my house but if this contraption will help heat up my home and prevent me from giving the AB gov money for their clever new tax, then I want one.

But as asked already, how does this work without a chimney? Aren't you risking killing everyone inside your home with the fumes this will release inside of your home? Or does it have a filter to keep toxins out of your lungs? Looks great btw.

To our members to the east of me (pretty much the entire country) sorry for sending more pollution your way. But it is my intent to start burning a lot more wood than before. Have a yard full of logs from trees I cut a while back waiting to be burnt. Can't burn enough while camping. But now that we have this carbon tax, I'm left with little choice but to create heat from whatever sources I can find, which may including burning some of my garbage. Which my be necessary, as the city of Calgary now plans to have collection only twice/month. Which is absurd for a household of 5. Anyway, may apologies in advance that you'll be getting a lot more carbon being sent your way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Ever since the AB government came up with this ridiculous money grab tax us commoners call carbon tax - but their clever marketing dept. instead market it to us as Climate Leadership Plan - we're now paying a lot more for heating up our homes. You get dinged for natural gas and electricity.

So, naturally I'd like to send them a message written in smog causing smoke - call it smoke signals - by using a wood burning stove of sorts. My place doesn't have a fireplace or a chimney. So smoke signals may not be easy to read by anyone outside my house but if this contraption will help heat up my home and prevent me from giving the AB gov money for their clever new tax, then I want one.

But as asked already, how does this work without a chimney? Aren't you risking killing everyone inside your home with the fumes this will release inside of your home? Or does it have a filter to keep toxins out of your lungs? Looks great btw.

To our members to the east of me (pretty much the entire country) sorry for sending more pollution your way. But it is my intent to start burning a lot more wood than before. Have a yard full of logs from trees I cut a while back waiting to be burnt. Can't burn enough while camping. But now that we have this carbon tax, I'm left with little choice but to create heat from whatever sources I can find, which may including burning some of my garbage. Which my be necessary, as the city of Calgary now plans to have collection only twice/month. Which is absurd for a household of 5. Anyway, may apologies in advance that you'll be getting a lot more carbon being sent your way.

I have a wood stove and burn logs made of compressed wood, nothing else, just wood chips, no glue. They press it so much that it sticks together.
It barely makes any smoke, burns for a long time and makes a lot of heat. But I would advise you against burning garbage as it will emit all kinds of nasty stuff not only in the air but also all along your chimney and you can still inhale a bunch of vapors.
Our garbage are picked-up twice a month and we're fine. One week they pick-up recycling and the other they pick-up garbage. The recycling bin is always fuller than the garbage. Family of 4 with 4 dogs and a cat (so more like family of 9).

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:24 pm 
Supporting Member 2010

DocGadget wrote:
Joolz wrote:

I have a wood stove and burn logs made of compressed wood, nothing else, just wood chips, no glue. They press it so much that it sticks together.
It barely makes any smoke, burns for a long time and makes a lot of heat. But I would advise you against burning garbage as it will emit all kinds of nasty stuff not only in the air but also all along your chimney and you can still inhale a bunch of vapors.
Our garbage are picked-up twice a month and we're fine. One week they pick-up recycling and the other they pick-up garbage. The recycling bin is always fuller than the garbage. Family of 4 with 4 dogs and a cat (so more like family of 9).

You can make your own with paper and cardboard.......all you need is 2-5 gallon buckets and a few weights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLZ88_DZz8

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:27 pm 

That is very cool, wasn't aware of these compressed pellets. But you (doc) seem to have missed the part where I said I don't have a chimney. I'm still confused by this neat Valor burner - does it not require a chimney for indoor burning? Of for that matter, can these compressed pellets be used for heat on a different device (seeing how rare a find this was) that doesn't require outdoor exhausting?

Prior to having kids we'd keep our programmable thermostat very low during the evenings. Currently we have it set to around 19.5 to 20C due to the baby that's only a few months old. This is killer on one's heating bill, especially now that we're in the unenviable position to have to pay for this BS carbon tax and have been facing a very cold winter, with temps dipping to below -20C for several weeks. If burning these pellets would indeed help keep the house warm during the evenings without requiring a vent to the outside, it'd be something I'd definitely look into. Especially, as Notec noted, can be made for free.

Oh and the garbage burning would be done outside only, of course. And only if required. A friend has an outdoor burner that works very nicely for certain combustibles (wouldn't want to annoy the neighbours by burning plastic or the like).
Weekly, both our garbage and paper recycling bins are full by the time pick up is due. Cutting garbage collection to biweekly would be a hassle for us. And the kicker is that blue bin pickup would continue to be a weekly thing. This is our mayor's attempt at making himself look good in front of the camera in his attempt at appeasing the tree huggers, which seems to be the trend these days with most politicians.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:37 pm 

Joolz wrote:
That is very cool, wasn't aware of these compressed pellets. But you (doc) seem to have missed the part where I said I don't have a chimney. I'm still confused by this neat Valor burner - does it not require a chimney for indoor burning?

I think you skipped over this post:
rangerll wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

It originally had a kerosene burner in it, like an oil lamp only with a large circular wick, similar to the modern Kerosene Heaters currently available.

When I was a kid (approx. 70 years ago...) I had a bedroom on the third floor of our old house. Often in winter the coal furnace in the basement wouldn't heat the upstairs enough. We had what I believe was a kerosene heater with a circular wick that my mom would light up up there for me. Other than open a window a small crack to ensure that enough oxygen was available it managed not to kill me. I don't think you could burn any wood based stuff safely without a chimney. You might want to research kerosene heaters but I suspect it would be cheaper just to pay the tax.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:18 am 

lleader wrote:
I think you skipped over this post:
DocGadget wrote:

Nope, didn't skip it, just didn't understand it :?
My age may have something to do with that :wink:
Even if not economically viable, something as cool looking as this Valor would be an amazing centre piece in our house. Doesn't take much space and it'd be a lovely piece that would greatly enhance a home that's adorned with way too much fancy electronics. However the chances of finding something this good looking and in such great shape - for that kinda of a bargain - would be close to nil. Consider yourself lucky, RangerII.
It truly is a shame that our house didn't come with a chimney or a fireplace. A wood burning fireplace would be such an attraction for the kids. And as mentioned earlier, I have more firewood than I know what to do with. However I may go ahead one day and do a basic chimney. I recently added a much needed hood fan to our stove (a necessity now that it's been switched to propane) but it lacks an outlet to the outside. Instead it uses coal filters. Far from ideal when wife is cooking up a batch of bacon as it simply cannot cope. So I'm considering doing the job myself, it really doesn't seem that hard to run some ducts up through the roof. Depending how it goes may have to consider doing the same for a chimney for a small, basic fireplace. Or a compressed wood burning contraption should I be fortunate enough to find one similar to the one pictured above.

lleader good to see that you made this far. Guess this proves those that say kerosene fumes to be carcinogen wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 am 

Burning wood is carbon neutral. It will release the same amount if allowed to rot on the forest floor as if you burn it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:01 am 

Joolz wrote:
That is very cool, wasn't aware of these compressed pellets. But you (doc) seem to have missed the part where I said I don't have a chimney. I'm still confused by this neat Valor burner - does it not require a chimney for indoor burning? Of for that matter, can these compressed pellets be used for heat on a different device (seeing how rare a find this was) that doesn't require outdoor exhausting?

Prior to having kids we'd keep our programmable thermostat very low during the evenings. Currently we have it set to around 19.5 to 20C due to the baby that's only a few months old. This is killer on one's heating bill, especially now that we're in the unenviable position to have to pay for this BS carbon tax and have been facing a very cold winter, with temps dipping to below -20C for several weeks. If burning these pellets would indeed help keep the house warm during the evenings without requiring a vent to the outside, it'd be something I'd definitely look into. Especially, as Notec noted, can be made for free.

Oh and the garbage burning would be done outside only, of course. And only if required. A friend has an outdoor burner that works very nicely for certain combustibles (wouldn't want to annoy the neighbours by burning plastic or the like).
Weekly, both our garbage and paper recycling bins are full by the time pick up is due. Cutting garbage collection to biweekly would be a hassle for us. And the kicker is that blue bin pickup would continue to be a weekly thing. This is our mayor's attempt at making himself look good in front of the camera in his attempt at appeasing the tree huggers, which seems to be the trend these days with most politicians.

Left leaning governments are very fond of tax, especially if they can sell it as environmental. The Ont government promised before the last election to raise hydro rates by 400%. Now people are complaining that the cost is the highest in North America, while we sell it at a loss to the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:56 am 

paddyfritz wrote:

Left leaning governments are very fond of tax...

And they like "you" to be dependant of "them"...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:56 am 

I love to get one of these for my garage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:18 am 

The vintage one is pretty cool.
Too bad fuel is so expensive for them.