Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Shotgun curiousity
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:52 pm 

I enjoy clay sports. It's easy to get hooked.
Pump guns are a challenge on doubles.

Lots of good advice from the others.

Have a look at inexpensive autos. Make sure they run light loads

Used O/U are available under 7-800. And stay away from modern looking pistol grip etc. if you wand to fit in at the skeet club. Wood is king and black is ok. (I am not a FUDD)

Welcome to another addiction!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:17 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I have two 870s. Express deer and express sportsman, the sportsman fired one shot
and had to go in for warranty work. It wouldn't open. I only fire slugs at paper right now.
The deer has been great.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 am 

I lied ... I don't have a new gun yet ... I was on my way down to AHEIA in DeWinton to have a look at what I was getting myself into and see their guns. Halfway there I had a flat ... sitting on the side of the road ... can't get an answer at AMA, so decide to put on that mickey mouse tire they call a spare. Arrived at Kal Tire to discover that it must have been driven half flat for a while and ruined the tire. I wish I was married now, I'd have someone to blame!
In any case, It's gonna cost me near $400 for the tires so my new toy is going to have to wait a bit. Hopefully not too long though.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:56 pm 

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. IT happens, time to time. Just when you think you are ahead of the game, IT happens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:37 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. IT happens, time to time. Just when you think you are ahead of the game, IT happens.
Ain't that the truth!
Oh well, gives me a bit more time to bounce back and forth between the pump and O/U.
I'd also like to get a Condor .25 by spring, I miss not going to the shoots. I've got too many hobbies ... I better look for a job soon. This being retired on a pension that is not quite there makes it difficult to play with my toys. I suppose I could cut back on my toys ... nah, that's not an option.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:30 pm 

Judging form the shooting I've done with my Condor so far - only 2 trips to the indoor range - I KNOW it is going to be fun on field rats this coming summer.

I'll use it and my buddy can use the Brocock .22. Lots more fun than the .22 & we'll be able to work on them out to normal rim-fire ranges. The .17HMR's then get the nod out to 200yards. I'll save my 15,000 rounds of .22's as trading fodder.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:43 pm 

A shotgun can be great, but if it doesn't fit you, you will not hit a thing. Go to a good gun shop and shoulder a few. For me the gun should come up to the shoulder fast and without weird movements, and I should be looking straight down at the bead. If the rib looks like a runway going to the bead then it isn't fitting well. Most Benelli's fit me well, as do Remington 870s. The 870 I had would not eject shells very good even after a chamber polish, ended up selling it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:02 pm 

Seems there is a quality problem at Remington.
My Mossberg 835 functions perfectly, with 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2".
All the slugs so far, 2 3/4" and 3" show similar accuracy in the short 24" rifled barrel - hole cutting at 30 yards.
With the 28" vent rib barrel, the hold is perfect with very little practice. Comes up perfectly every time. A lot of that is practice. If the stock is too long, then you have a problem. A little short can be learned quickly.

You eye should never be down even with the rib, in that all you can see is the round bead above the back end of the barrel/action. Your eye should be slightly raised at the breech so you see a long tapered rib (or barrel top surface) to the bead - but - not too high.

You should also 'pattern' your shotgun to see where it throws the pattern or slug, when aiming deliberately at a spot, like a felt pen mark on a large page.

If the gun routinely hits to one side or the other, but tube is likely bent, or you are not looking down the centre of the rib or barrel. If the gun hits low, raise your head slightly on the cheek piece and try again.

You can use butcher paper, or go to a Forestry office and ask for OLD maps. That is what I use & prefer to pattern-checking for impact location at 20-25yards. That way, the pattern is completely contained on a 30" piece of paper.

You need to be able to see the centre of the pattern. You can use smaller piece of paper at close ranges like 10 yards and this will work also.

Once you see where the pattern goes, you learn to hold the gun so the pattern hits centre at the range you wish or need to use the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:42 am 

Santa bought himself a Xmas present. I decided to go with the O/U ... ordered it this morning. I was close to getting the SuperNova but the O/U was $70 cheaper and I wanted the O/U anyway.
I was/am still a little concerned due to lack of reviews on the Canuck but the distributor claims they have sold hundreds of them and have not had one back for warranty. Plus it has 2 year warranty. I could not pass up the price ... $70 cheaper then the Benelli and that was with a discount at the Shooting Edge.
Oh well, not my first impulse buy and I'm sure it won't be my last.
I will try to remember your tips, Daryl, when I go to the range to try it out. I haven't shot a shotgun for about 45-50 years so it should be interesting!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177