Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Shotgun curiousity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:26 am 

I realize this is an airgun forum but it does have a powderburner section and a very wide range of interests in the user base.
For whatever reason, I have decided that I just have to have a shotgun. I don't think self defence is very high on the list, although using a shotgun, (if needed), instead of my .45 would probably be easier to defend in court.
I'm not a hunter but am curious about trap and skeet. I don't have the money to put into a semi or over/under, so I am looking at 4 more affordable, (to me), pump guns. Your opinions and/or recommendations would be much appreciated.
The 4 that I am considering are:
Remington 870 Express
Mossberg 500
Benelli Nova/Supernova
Winchester SXP
I know there are several models in both the 870 and SXP's
I am kinda leaning toward the Benelli.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

Post subject: Re: Shotgun curiousity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:52 am 

Semi auto are not out of your range if your looking at Nova/Super Novas. Could get yourself a good used Rem 1100 for about 400-500. Most ever goes in them is the o rings. I bought one for 350 and lasted me awhile till I accidentally backed over it. Cycled trapped loads very well.

Supernovas are good.

I had 870, 500/590s, Rem 1100, Single actions. But Pops Supernova is smooth as butter. But pretty bulky forearm on it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 pm 

I could certainly be talked into an 1100 if I could find one priced around the 400-500 mark. I would prefer to buy local so I could see it first. The SuperNova is on sale at Wholesale for $659. At the upper end for me right now but it seems to have very good reviews as opposed to the 870 quality in the newer ones. This is what I am reading anyway.
I'm going to check at my range and see if they have any shotguns I can actually shoot. Failing that, Silver Willows west of Carstairs do rent guns so I may do that before any money leaves my hands.

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:30 pm 

My son has recently taken a interest in firearms and we went shopping for a shotgun on a budget.(Attending Univ.for Policing next fall)He purchased a Mossberg 500 with a choked barrell as well as a slug barrel for under $500.00.Great all around gun for turkey to deer if so inclined.The combo price seemed to be the best option for price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 pm 

Never have to worry about the super nova rusting either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:12 pm 

I was talking to The Shooting Edge a while ago and he mentioned an alternative ... Canuck over/under in the $600 range ... I think the same price as Supernova. I tried to find some reviews on it but could find very little on it.
I think I would prefer the O/U for skeet but not if its a lower quality gun.
Anyone have any info (pro or con), on it?

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:56 pm 

Well, I'm going to stick the bug in your ear.
I have a Moss 500 and its fine..

Recently the Stoeger Coach Gun has my interest. Side by side, double trigger (stay away from single), one barrel is Modified other is Improved Cylinder and from everything that I've seen, they are a total blast to shoot and seems to have high review ratings, lots of Youtube reviews as well. I was looking at o/u's too but they don't tickle me the same as a side by side

As I say the Mossberg 500 is a good shotgun, I've had no issues but I've grown into liking simpler things and the side by side 12 gauge is fascinating to me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:17 pm 

I've had semi-autos -started off with a Sportsman 48, then Ithaca, M1100 Rem. Browning Auto 5, but dearly love the pump guns - trained my boys & 2 girls in the Riot & Perimeter Security Squads on the mM70 Remingtons for 16 years along with M10 S&W and M1 Carbines. I -packed a JC Higgens Riot gun in the PC back in 1974/5 after friend Roger P. was shot, and currently have a Model 34 Ithaca and an 840Mosberg (similar to the M500) with 2 barrels, vent ribbed 28" with screw-in chokes and a 24" rifled tube. The mossy is a great shooting gun.

Do NOT get involved with pistol grips or ANYTHING with a black plastic stock. The fit poorly and are not suitable for trap or skeet shooting. Best to go to a trap and skeet range and see what the others are shooting. Trap and Skeet are both terrific and recognized as up-standing sports, but there is no place for wanna-be-military crap on the firing lines. Replaceable choke tubes will allow both sports with the same gun.

Skeet needs a more 'field' type gun, while specific trap guns have higher combs, straighter stocks. You can do well with a field gun in BOTH disciplines.

I dearly loved the pump guns, still do and can shoot them quicker and more accurately than I could with any of the semis. Yes - faster - and the M870rem. was the easiest to master in that. I could 'clean' 6 silhouettes at 25 yards with buckshot in 2 seconds flat. Our guns held 8 rounds. If there aren't 3 empties in the air at once, you're shooting too slowly.

Apparently the new multi-thousand $$ Beneli semi-auto riot guns are faster due to no muzzle rise in recoil. That being the case, they would be faster yet- but pricey.

For a trap or skeet gun, when shooting doubles, many people have difficulty with pumps on doubles. With skeet, it's all doubles, so semis or better yet O/U are preferred. However, if you are willing to practice, a pump gun will serve both venues.
There are some pretty fair O/U's on the market now for under $500.00.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:32 pm 

If you have to plan to hunt (and need to shoot steel)... and would like a O/U (and don't mind having to refinish the wood) you might want to check out Tradeex used shotgun section. Antony is a good guy to deal with
https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/73?page=1

The 870 is probably the most versatile shotgun around, with the most accessories, extra barrels and other what-not available.

-

No pistol grip, black,tacticool shotgun for trap/sporting clays... Why not? It wouldn't be my first choice and some of the more "serious" shooter might (OK, WILL) give you a funny look... But if that's what you got...

A chance to shoot a round with a Benelli M4 (with a modified choke)... It swings funny, and rifle sights are certainly not the best for flying clays... but it was a hoot :D

-

Personally, my favourites are
- For plinking: 8'' CanadaAmmo Grizzly (870 knockoff)...
- For more "serious" stuff (trap and hunting): It's a tie between a Greener GP Trap and Winchester M50

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:51 pm 

By pistol grip - I meant the one that replaces the butt stock, not a normal shotgun with a pistol grip. Maybe it's just my preference, but black plastic (wanna-be-military-look) stocks do not belong on skeet or trap ranges. I have never seen a plastic stock at a trap or skeet shoot. Only shot skeet at the Poco range - loads of fun! Shot PITA trap in Burnaby & here in PG, also fun, but it is not cheap shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:34 pm 

We tried Skeet with a 8.5" DA Grizzly, That was a Hoot...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:50 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I've owned all but the Benelli. The Mossberg and SXP would be what I suggest. My reason being the layout of the gun. With the two suggested, you can release the action lock and safety without moving your grip much (Mossberg #1 in this department with it's Tang safety). The Remington has the action/slide release at the front of the trigger guard, you have to release your grip to work it.
With the SXP I would avoid any camo finished model, they are known to peel (my first one did, so did the warranty replacement, straight from the factory, day 1). If I were to do it all again I would get the Black Shadow, or whatever they call the all black model. The SXP is Turkish made, nice gun, but not the best quality.

The Mossberg was the first gun I bought, still a favorite. It has that Mossberg rattle people complain about, but I'll take that over an 870 any day. My 500 will cycle any round, never an issue.
Get one of the combo deals and you get the best value in a shotgun IMHO.

The Remington was a let down. It feels the smoothest of them all, the action feels better, but definitely not my favorite gun. It's fussy on what rounds it will eject properly, lots of stovepipes. The ejector is riveted to the action, not as easy to replace as the others (not a big deal, they rarely need replacing).

In my opinion anything but the Remington. There are rumors that the Chinese knockoffs are becoming better quality than the real deal. The Remington Express 870 is not the same as the old school 870's like the old Wingmasters that have a good reputation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:12 pm 

Woody wrote:

The Remington Express 870 is not the same as the old school 870's like the old Wingmasters that have a good reputation.

I was not aware of this, Woody. Our (& my) M870's were all 1970's shotguns. Never, in the 20 years I used them - year after year, for qualifications & duty use, did one every require repair. The first 4 years, say over 100 people qualifying on 6 shotguns every spring - after that, only 12 officers used them for qualification and work duties - tower duty, etc. Those same 6 Model 870's were in use when I retired from Corrections in 1996, as-were the dozen M1Carbines and 2 Dozen Model 10 S&W's.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:48 pm 

During my recent and limited research and talking to people at gun shops, etc ... the 870 Express is apparently the basic model. I have also been told that the last number of years the quality has degraded. I seem to remember 2006 being mentioned but can't be sure as when it started or not. I've been told by some that the quality is coming back in recent years but if I wanted the reputation of the older 870 I had to buy a wingmaster or the police version as both of these models were built to better standards. (police version having the highest quality).
In any case, I have almost decided on the Canuck over/under. I cannot find very much info on it anywhere as I think it is quite new to the Canadian market. Same price as the Supernova so it's a hard choice to make but the OU is winning so far.
The more I read and watch, the more I switch back and forth so I should just bite the bullet and go shopping tomorrow!
$650 out the door for either so its not a price thing.
Next time I post I'll probably have a new shotgun!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:00 am 
Supporting Member 2009

The older 870s I've seen are nice and well liked by their owners. Comparing the Wingmaster to a Mossberg 500, or Winchester SXP isn't a fair comparison, the price difference speaks for itself.
As I mentioned, I didn't like the ergonomics of the 870, among other things. I have seen this topic come up on almost every gun forum I have visited. It's the old Ford/Chevy argument. Which is better? Usually whichever one you own. To someone who has an 870 and never touched a 500 or SXP, they will likely prefer the 870. Having owned most of them on the list, I feel I can give an honest review