Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:13 am 

airmec wrote:
Good night, Peter, sleep well :) . You need a good rest, you still have things to do down here mister :wink: . FWIW, one thing I learned the hard way is that wisdom is easier to transmit than to learn, as paradoxical as it may seem. Your signature just shows that you're on the right way :D

Take care of yourself, and keep it up.

From another stupid, stubborn man :wink:

Oh SO SO true on the wisdom.

You know, in retrospect, I'm wondering how much I subconsciously KNEW how bad the foot was getting, and yet tried to ignore it because I was WELL aware of what this whole process would be (except for the "lets almost die" part?? I dunno. Probably just over analyzing and trying to justify stupidity.

Sigh, cant sleep. I have very high end narcotics for nerve pain....taken my max dosage and it helps, but it brings on RLS like gangbusters...must try and get that fixed since no sleep works against me. Maybe try and get some 1mg lorazapam later today.

The surgeon did a fantastic slice and dice job on the foot, but deliberately left the wound open. It throbs with every heartbeat. It tries to heal, but every day the nurse opens it up to abraid it and remove necrotic tissue so it can never get ahead of the game.

Lets not forget living in the washroom half the time because the exotic antibiotic load is destroying my stomach's ability to firm anything up.

The good part is every time I get out of bed and pass down the hallway, I see the son-of-a-bitch to blame for this whole gong show. In the mirror.

Cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:12 am 

Again, FWIW, patience and self-forgiveness are needed in the healing process, don't be too hard with yourself, just don't forget :wink: :D .

I have a SMALL idea of what you're going through, had my left foot crushed by a 6'' x 6'' steel beam once. The impact was so strong, my big toe bone pierced my leather boot, and I was disabled for three month. Doctors also kept the wound open, because the flesh was so badly damaged, they needed to regularly remove dead tissues. Medications where tiring by themselves, and everyday life was hard, to say the least. Healing and rehab went well though, and I was able to get back to work after 8 months. The pain was a good ''school'', but it was just a ''course'', not the entire ''session'', I'm still learning today, even if it happened 27 years ago :roll: :lol: .

Try to keep positive thoughts, think about your loved ones and all the good things you had in your life, and those still to come, It helps! No lecturing here, it's just that I feel your pain...

Best wishes :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:50 am 

airmec wrote:
Again, FWIW, patience and self-forgiveness are needed in the healing process, don't be too hard with yourself, just don't forget :wink: :D .

I have a SMALL idea of what you're going through, had my left foot crushed by a 6'' x 6'' steel beam once. The impact was so strong, my big toe bone pierced my leather boot, and I was disabled for three month. Doctors also kept the wound open, because the flesh was so badly damaged, they needed to regularly remove dead tissues. Medications where tiring by themselves, and everyday life was hard, to say the least. Healing and rehab went well though, and I was able to get back to work after 8 months. The pain was a good ''school'', but it was just a ''course'', not the entire ''session'', I'm still learning today, even if it happened 27 years ago :roll: :lol: .

Try to keep positive thoughts, think about your loved ones and all the good things you had in your life, and those still to come, It helps! No lecturing here, it's just that I feel your pain...

Best wishes :D

Thank you.

That made me cringe just reading it. Any foot assault can be so damn painful and I can only imagine what you went through on THAT one.

I just spent 30 minutes talking to the owners of my company, updating them on things and what have you. They are very supportive and are covering things for me.....I will be avoiding any insurance, or std, or UIC bull crap. Full salary for working from home until such time a doctor allows me to return officially. Few weeks maybe.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:15 pm 

You owe it to modern technology for not losing any limbs. My grandfather wasn't so lucky and what cost him his leg seemed almost comical. Of course, back in the day there were no fancy icats, c-scans, all those radiating/laser emitting devices. Or even much knowledge, not to mention a lack of modern medicines. Thus he lost his entire leg due to a simple spear from a dying (maybe dead) fish, as he sat on the passenger seat of car and had a sharp fin of one of his catch stab him in the leg, from a fish no more than 15cm long. That's all it took for the infection to turn to gangreene (spell?) and the rest is history.

Ironically today I spent a good chunk of time in the emergency due to something very similar to what happened to you, courtesy to a nasty sliver I got while moving a dresser. Deep cut and incredible pain that seemed to have healed up nicely. Typically I yank these out myself but this was a deep, bloody cut that I didn't want to mess with. A week later and cut has closed up nicely, the pain indicates a good chunk of sharp wood inside. The "lets not waste the doctors time with something so silly" took over and I wasn't about to "wimp" my way into wasting a doctor's precious time and patients with real issues. But since we had to take the kids for vaccinations just one floor up from the critical care unit, I figure why not pay them a visit? Ended up getting xrays taken in order to identify the position/shape of the sliver. At the end I get to keep my finger, but the very first question I was asked was when it was the last time I had a tetanus shot.

Something is minuscule as a sliver could turn ugly in an instant. A situation due to worsen thanks to the many emerging superbugs. Losing a limb or worse isn't worth the risk, not when we have great health care that is FREE. Other than the long wait, that is.

Glad you didn't lose a leg or any toes. Kinda hard aiming these new rifles when you can't fully balance yourself while at the standing stance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:54 pm 

I believe now that they have been, shall we say, less than forthcoming with me.

After a few days off the morphine, Im thinking a little clearer and seeing things better.

The circulatory system in the foot is not functioning properly. The nerve damage is extensive.

Tissue is dying and turning black. Started on the bottom halfway down the toes and has now reached mid foot.

3 home care nurses have looked at it, as well as my ex wife. All of them are rather less than enthusiastic.

My last nurse (Russian) says if she comes Monday and it looks worse she's calling ambulance. Great.

I have appointment with surgeon We'd.

Keeping positive attitude of course.

I really would have a rough time without the damn foot. My Summer car is a Hemi Challenger 6 speed stick car and I heel \toe with it. Would hate to lose that ability forever.

I think I will sign off for awhile. Will read but not post until this mess is sorted one way or the other.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers, but there are many people worse off than me. Looks like end game is only limb loss, not death, so no complaints I guess.

I just want to mention though that if I had known it was THAT bad I never would have let it get so far gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:54 pm 

Good luck man... a healthy dose of divine intervention may be just what the Dr. ordered...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:10 am 

I owe the people who expressed thoughts, concern, and prayers an update.

I will be brief..... after meeting my surgeon yesterday. I am very glad she took SOME of the guilt off me.

First, once bacteria gets foot hold (yuk-yuk) in a diabetic, its all over. It loves the sugar and just quietly sits there eating away your tissue. It creates pockets that fill with gunk and the best antibiotics in the world (which I'm on) cannot penetrate. As well as flesh, I found out yesterday my tendons are gone. Guess thats why I cant wiggle my toes anymore.

My surgeon is great. No nonsense woman, mid 50's, possibly German. I trust her.

So we discussed the plan of attack. She is willing to go at it on a "best effort, lets hope for the best" basis as long as I dont mind multiple surgeries.

Tomorrow morning they are taking 3 toes off me.

Also debrading the foot which means they take a cheese grater to it and remove everything down to pink, raw flesh. THAT is going to hurt.

The last 3 toes on my right foot are finished and will never recover. Bye-Bye.

Step 2 is watch my big and second toe. If they recover, they stay, if not, they must go. 50 \ 50 there. Oh yeah, need skin grafts too.

Step 3 is end game. Foot gets lopped off from just in front of ankle, thus leaving me the muscles and what have you to pivot my foot stub.

Now, I've seen a lot of things in my life. Gutted many deer, bear, moose, removed half a person from a terrible car wreck, and so on....but when my son took a picture of my foot yesterday it was almost enough to toss the cookies. You know those medical drawings that students use? The show all the muscles, veins, arteries, tendons etc under the skin? That is what it looks like, with the added bonus of dead tendons, muscles, and flesh.

This foot, no matter the outcome, will be problematic the rest of my life.

The SPEED it is deteriorating at is beyond belief.

Interestingly, the amputations tomorrow are day surgery. Local anesthetic only. In at 09:00. out at 12:00 who knew :)

Its the diabetes that caused most of this. Of course I took it seriously before, but GOOD GOD what a miserable son-of-a-bitch disease.

Did I mention it all started 6 weeks ago with a metal splinter in my foot? That got the ball rolling,

So...am I scared about my toes going away tomorrow? Nope. I AM apprehensive about half the foot though. I would like to keep that. As well, I had a severe burn wound abraided once. On the pain meter, we are looking at 11. Hopefully I get some higher powered morphine than I'm on now. I can take 3 in one shot now and it dulls the pain, but I've previously had stuff where ONE pill puts you on your butt for 12 hours.

So update over and thanks for thinking about me.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:20 am 

No. I am NOT serious! Just taking a long shot that it might give you a smile - you could probably use one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:43 am 

What a story!

I hope that thing will start to go in the right direction for you.

Best of luck with the surgery.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:38 am 

lleader wrote:
No. I am NOT serious! Just taking a long shot that it might give you a smile - you could probably use one.

All i would be doing is forcing the Admins to delete the post and picture. I know you are joking and I got a chuckle, thanks :) You do NOT want to see the pic, you really, really do not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am 

R-Gun Pete wrote:
What a story!

I hope that thing will start to go in the right direction for you.

Best of luck with the surgery.

R-Gun Pete

Thank you sir! I am really hoping it stops after tomorrow. I will still have good balance with the first 2 toes attached. Not so much if they have to go in a few days.

I'm more pissed off than anything else. I do not mean the "oh why me why me, lifes not fair" bullcrap, just pissed at the disease, the way things went down, and so on. I never feel sorry for myself. thats just weak. I HAVE spent 9 months with a little girl in sick kids hospital and another 6 at bloorview. Compared to what I've seen, this is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Piece of cake. I avoided Sepsis and thus avoided death. Everything else is a bonus. Hell, the last 16 years were a gift.

Cheers

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 am 

My thoughts are with you, hope you can keep in good spirits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:49 pm 

Watertown wrote:
My thoughts are with you, hope you can keep in good spirits.

The morphine helps :) :) :)

Thank you.

Long day, just got back from hospital after 7 hours (for a 45 minute surgery). They carved out the bottom of my foot to remove necrotic tissue like muscles and tendons, and surprisingly only took two toes. The third one they were going to remove still has the potential to be "viable".

So really, good news all around. Cant complain.

I meet with surgeon in a week. That will be the end of things (thank goodness) one way or another. If it is improving then great, if not, the foot goes away. I much prefer the former, but at this point I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired that I am fine with the options.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:34 pm 

Hi
I have an update and I think it is good :)

Went in for my appt. with surgeon. Now keep in mind that if you open up Webster's dictionary and look up the word " conservative" you will see her picture :)

I got "viable", " improvement", " better colour", and so forth. What I did NOT get was a date for further surgery. Yay.

The only minor downside was I saw my foot for the first time. So yeah, they took off just a bit more than the toes that's for sure.
I guess if you took a 3" X 2.5" rectangle and laid it lengthwise, lining it up with the end of your baby toe and right side of your foot, that's what they took.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less. If I get to keep everything else, which seems more and more likely, I'm happy.

No stitches surprisingly. Just 1" to 1.5" thick walls. Very similar to cutting a thick steak in half before cooking.

I guess they cauterized it or something.

Anyway, 2 more weeks of antibiotics and home care and very sore foot then all over, except for some cosmetic sculpting.

Thank you again for thoughts and prayers, they sure helped.

Very best to all

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:59 am 

ITGUY wrote:
Hi
I have an update and I think it is good :)

Went in for my appt. with surgeon. Now keep in mind that if you open up Webster's dictionary and look up the word " conservative" you will see her picture :)

I got "viable", " improvement", " better colour", and so forth. What I did NOT get was a date for further surgery. Yay.

The only minor downside was I saw my foot for the first time. So yeah, they took off just a bit more than the toes that's for sure.
I guess if you took a 3" X 2.5" rectangle and laid it lengthwise, lining it up with the end of your baby toe and right side of your foot, that's what they took.

On the other hand, I couldn't care less. If I get to keep everything else, which seems more and more likely, I'm happy.

No stitches surprisingly. Just 1" to 1.5" thick walls. Very similar to cutting a thick steak in half before cooking.

I guess they cauterized it or something.

Anyway, 2 more weeks of antibiotics and home care and very sore foot then all over, except for some cosmetic sculpting.

Thank you again for thoughts and prayers, they sure helped.

Very best to all

Peter

Apologies for any quoting my own post but I missed the edit window.

I want to correct a statement. Things will never be " all over",. What I meant was this chapter will be all over. All my extremeties and the right foot in particular are at great risk, oh, let's say "forever".

I will have to be very vigilant.And hightail my skinny butt to the doctor at the first sign of trouble.

Again though, no big deal. I am so happy to not lose any more pieces I can't describe it :)

Walking is gonna be a bit funny as well as buying shoes I guess, but HelI I don't care. I can get in my Challenger this April and DRIVE!!!!

Cheers all!