Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:41 pm 

So I'm writing this from Newmarket hospital, where I've been for the last 8 days.

Long story short, been diabetic for 20 years and it certainly contributed to my latest heart attack in 2002 and factors in to this story.

Anyway, few weeks back, maybe 3 or 4, thought I stepped on something. maybe a small sliver of steel, etc. didn't pay much attention..happens all the time. usually it comes to the surface and a little nodule forms around it, easy to dig out with a good knife.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed the foot was getting very painful and was swollen & red..hmmm....something not right here "thinks the genius". OK, well then, lots of clinics around so i make the trek. They took one look and said "see ya" go to emergency.

So that took another couple days by the time i got around to it. By this time all the toe joints were ringed in bright red, tho bottom of the foot had split open from the pressure and was blood and "other" fluids. And a size 14 slipper cut in half on top would not go over the foot.

Emergency doesn't do much at first..has a look...sets me up with a double bag of Antibiotics (i.v.) some really exotic mix, dumps it in me, send me home. Tells me to come back for more next day. OK.

same story WED.

Thursday when I arrive for my iv bags, some doctor rolls in and starts asking me questions....first time for that. OK, so he sends me for more X-ray. Later he tells me they are admitting me....OH, OK, sure.

Friday SAT SUN was tests, Ultrasounds, MRI, ECHO, and more I've forgotten.

By this time the foot is on fire, 3 times normal size, and 2 full bags of morphine are not enough to dull the pain. The ruby red rings around the toe joints are now pure white. The foot is smelling like something crawled inside it and died.

next day i get the surgeon. Great dude. Looks like a hockey player. I would say looks young, but hell, they ALL look young to me now.

I was on call for any available surgery bay for 1.5 days but he got me in.

Then it was finally truth time....I have a severe form of cellulitis, (people started wearing spacesuits around me a few days ago) gangrene inside the foot, and am a heartbeat away from it turning in to flesh eating disease which has a nasty habit of killing you rather quickly.

So, he says good chance he can save foot, 50% chance toes are gone, what do you want to do?

This was a man-to man talk, a couple hours before surgery. I told him to do what he had to do, depending on what he found after he sliced everything open. I would prefer to keep all my pieces, but no hard feelings if they gotta go ;)

So it took him two hours (I was on a general) and then I was awake.

What he did was cut everything open, cut out all the rot around the toe joints, cut wound channels through the foot and used a sharp mellonballer type thing to scoop away the gunk, packed the wounds tight and left everything open.

Said foot was safe, toes not sure yet, but they were still on my foot so no complaints.

Been 2 days now, circulation is back, colour is good, sore as Hell but who cares.

So there are lots of details I left out, such as i will now be on an insulin pump, diabetic pill regimen changed, cardiac pills changed, and so on and so forth.

I'm lucky as Hell and I know it.

On the bright side, I have 3 long, heavy, unopened boxes at home :) Still, i have to say that the 2016 Christmas \ New Years season is not one of the best I remember :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:19 pm 

holy crap man :shock:
good to hear your on the mend
hope you have a full and speedy recovery :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:37 pm 

That is serious, you may have just dodged a bullet, hope things work out O.K.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:48 pm 

Hey Peter :D . Really sorry about that :( . I was wondering where you were in the last days. I wish you a quick recovery, and may this new year be good (better) for you! Take care of yourself, and take it easy :goodman:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:58 pm 

I wish you a speedy recovery.... May 2017 be a LOT better for you....

Bob

Life is too short to be wasted worrying about the opinions of others.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 pm 

Wow .........Speedy recovery .......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 pm 

Hey thanks so much!!!

Dodged a bullet is very, very appropriate.

This one made me sit up and take notice. I dont mind kicking the bucket, but this would have been a stupid, stupid, stupid way to go.

All because I thought i was Superman and no "little foot problem" is going to bring ME down! Ha! What a joke...it brought me to my knees and more.

I knew it was getting bad, but you know, work, work and more work, running around, laundry, cleaning, always SOMETHING to do right? So letsput it off til later.....uh-huh....we can all see how that worked out.

When you are "pretty much" healthy, you can go years without seeing a doctor for every little sniffle or hangnail, or run to the clinic because your nose is bleeding. 99% of the time its going to get better on its own....BUT you know, you just cant do that anymore when you get older and have underlying conditions. It will turn around and bite you in the buttock.

Thank God both my company owners have been MORE than supportive, in all aspects. Kids and ex-wife helping out..the amount of running around before being admitted was beyond belief.

It only gets worse now with home care.

Im waiting for a PICC now. Homecare needs it to hook up the juice.

The antibiotics will burn the veins to Hell and back with a normal shunt, so a PICC goes direct in to the heart from under the armpit. makes it easier as well, no hanging bags or IV machine to drag around behind you.

Sounds rough but i dont care...they put my stents in through the wrist and that was no picnic...how much worse can this be......

By the way...in the 15 years or so since Ive been in the system...it has gone to pure litter. left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing, the bureaucracy is VISIBLY choking the life out of the system.

As usual, the only saving grace is the people. The nurses, doctors, porters, lab techs, and so on. 99% of the ones I've met GIVE A CRAP.

Hosptal I.T. infrastucture has been down since this morning. Everything fuscked up. meals, scheduling, EVERYTHING.

They did get the Itranet back up and running eventually, but are blind otherwise.

I'm on my own hotspot.

All the people are bitching at I.T. (big surprise). i talked to a senior level guy here and know the REAL problem though.....a stupid piece of hardware failed, but did they have one on the shelf? nope......see, thats outsourced now!!!! So the hospital has to wait for the provider to get the only one in Canada from Winnipeg.

Oh well, life goes on.

Thanks again for the kind words and thoughts!!

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:35 pm 

My hope and prayers for a full recovery, speedy really doesn't matter - WOW - bloody hell is right. This is a grave and severe lesson to all of us, antiques. I'm as bad as anyone else for putting off going to see a Dr. My 3-month meds. regime lasts usually 6 months- or more - I keep forgetting to take the damn things.
This thread just shows us we need to take better care of ourselves- myself in particular - lazy and/or too busy can be the death of you.

Peter, thanks for posting this thread - it is indeed an eye-opener.

all the best
Daryl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:09 pm 

I wish you a much, much better 2017. Glad you're on the mend.

Air Arms S200, Airforce Condor .25, HW50s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:01 pm 
Supporting Member

Hey Peter

You're going through a really bad patch, but I pray that you'll emerge stronger than before.

When you're feeling really down, just think about shooting that beautiful blue Weirauch 97.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:51 pm 

PeterG wrote:
Hey Peter

You're going through a really bad patch, but I pray that you'll emerge stronger than before.

When you're feeling really down, just think about shooting that beautiful blue Weirauch 97.

Peter :D

Sitting in my living room unopened, alongside the unopened 2078 ;) ;)

Thanks for kind words and thoughts!!!

P..S. still interred. Perhaps weekend release.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:38 pm 

All the best in your recovery, Peter.

EAGLE EYES ON SAFETY:
EAGLE SKILLS ON TARGET

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm 

Thank you M.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:52 pm 

I got out.

Now, the next 5 weeks of lesser Hell starts, however, all things considered, I have nothing to complain about. Just have to drag around my little portable IV pouch, bags of juice, try to walk, try not to fall, be a pain in the butt to everyone with appointments I cant get to cause I cant drive, try to make the bathroom in time, etc.

Of course, it is always fun when they talk to you on the way out and mention Sepsis was about to set in and my own body was beginning to shut down my kidney function, thus "saving" me by killing me.

The word "chilling" comes to mind.....

So I have a great home care nurse. "Hmmm...Peter...you still might lose the toes" "Probably should have taken them off". "Wow, looks like you came close to checking out"...etc etc.

Personally, I love her. About mid 50's, seen it all, 3 times over, says whats on her mind and damn the torpedoes. Great stuff.

She mentions its always us stupid men that let things get to almost the point of no return through sheer stubbornness or stupidity. She's right too. Took me an hour and a half to call for help on the last heart attack because, well, you know, cant really be another heart attack, Hell, its early Sunday morning, must have been something I ate...hmmm...jaw and neck getting AWFULLY sore now......hmmm...naw, just the way I'm sitting....maybe I'll move on the couch....oh, left arm seems a bit dead...crap, well maybe ya know....naw, cant be....lets give it another 10 minutes.....well, nope, thats not working.....wow, why does my chest suddenly feel like someone is sitting on it????.......maybe lets go back upstairs and wake up wifey.....Oh, jeez.....why is my face on the floor all of a sudden???? Ah crap, guess it may be serious after all......

I dragged myself up the circular staircase with one arm (try that one day) crawled across the floor to the bed and grabbed her foot. She sat up screaming.

Then I died on my own bedroom floor.

Wifey in the biz. Started CPR. Saved my brain from apoxic injury.

EMT got me back with paddles.

3,4,5 minutes? I dunno. I remember waking up in the bus doing a million miles per hour down second concession with one guy paddling me, one guy with his hand down my throat, and so on.

I remember VIP treatment boy :) No cars in the way, doors open, 10 people descending on me right away....2 of them screaming they couldn't get the damn shunt in my veins cause they were all collapsed and BP was barely registering...then the big needle in the heart and you know what? That HURT!!!! Days later both my arms looked like they had been worked over by Ivan with a ball-peen hammer. Purple, blue, brown from wrists to elbows.

So anyway, permanent goodbye to 35% of heart muscle (lack of oxygen). Turned black and died.

Fun times indeed, all caused by stupidity and stubbornness. I fooled em though, didn't stay dead or die again :) They gave me 3 days in the death room to croak, but after I didn't, then they did the stents and stuff and fixed me up.

Tried to write this with a bit of humour, but the take away is crystal clear...if you THINK or SUSPECT you may have have something "not good" going on...DONT SIT THERE AND DENY IT. ACT ON IT.

Superman is not real. You are not Superman. You wanna let it go? Fine, maybe you get stupid luck like me, or maybe your family puts you in the ground next week. Its a crap shoot. Why take the chance?

And you all thought i was arrogant and my signature was aimed at other people? :) :) It's aimed squarely at myself. (probably still arrogant though) :)

Night.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 pm 

Good night, Peter, sleep well :) . You need a good rest, you still have things to do down here mister :wink: . FWIW, one thing I learned the hard way is that wisdom is easier to transmit than to learn, as paradoxical as it may seem. Your signature just shows that you're on the right way :D

Take care of yourself, and keep it up.

From another stupid, stubborn man :wink: