Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:05 pm 

Does anyone make their own lube for big bore airguns like the airforce texan? I have been casting for over a year now and recently started reloading for some powder burners but just curious because I have been saving all my bacon fat.

Hw45 in .22 and .177
Kriss vector gen 1 .45 acp
Norinco m305 7.62 x 51
Marlin 1895 45 70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 pm 

I am trying Ms. Moly on the 51gr. bullets for my Condor .25. I have not done a chronograph test yet to determine the effect of bare vs. moly. I've a feeling, the velocity will be increased due to less drag, whereas powder burners use bullet drag to increase pressure and get the powder to burn more efficiently. Powder charges must be increased slightly to gain back the pressure and speed. A chronograph is needed. Different ctgs. require different loading increases, of course.

Hoppe's or maybe it's Lyman also sell a moly spray for coating bullets. One of them sells a spray can of moly that wipes off like dry-errace felt pen - not usable for bullets.

As noted, what the effect is on the velocity, I don't know - yet.

When I get back from vacation, I'll get another tank of nitrogen and find out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:23 pm 

Problem with a soft lube, will be wiping it off before you get the pellet into the bore, I'd think. A dry lube would be best, would it not?

Once the moly is dry, it does not easily wipe off. One could actually spray them once, twice or thrice for varying thicknesses of lube - measured in the ten or hundreds of thousand's of inches, I'd expect.
Further - you could try a normal bullet lube - one of the harder wax-like lubes. Beeswax/Vaseline in perhaps 70:30 or maybe Beeswax/Bacon grease, 50:50 or 50:60 as the bacon grease isn't as soft as Vaseline especially in colder weather.

As a lube for my Black Powder ctg. guns, I use SPG, Lyman's Black Powder Gold, or a mix of 60%Vaseline to 40% Beeswax for a softer, hand-lubing formula- easier to apply if not using a press like Grey Lyman 450 or Green RCBS Lube Sizer. Both work and are currently set up for my handgun rounds, while my old Yellow Lyman lube press is set up for .459" rifle bullets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm 

Further- if you can get good beeswax, mixing it about 50:50 or 40:60 with Vaseline makes for a good lube to about 2,200fps in large bore rifles - (.458's and larger), as well as any black powder rifle ctgs. loaded with real BP. that is where the 60:40 lube SHINES!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:04 pm 

Thanks for the tips. When I use bacon fat is it a important I use a coffee fliter to separate the salts? Does anyone use coconut oil to lube bullets? I have been asking many gun shops about this when reloading and casting 45 70 bullets. I recently got into reloading all my cast ammo for my texam for my Marlin 1895 and so far it loves 405 grain .459 bullets with 16 grains of unique powder. I had great luck using benchmark powder with my 480 grain spitzer cast bullets getting 1600fps using 43 grains. I still find greater acurracy with my pcps at 50 yards.

Hw45 in .22 and .177
Norinco m305 7.62 x 51
Marlin 1895 45 70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am 

Some of the guys on a BP forum I frequent are experimenting with coconut oil for patch lube in their smokepoles. If using oil, I use neetsfoot oil (not compound) or Track's (trackofthewolf) mink Oil - for hunting. For plinking, I use a water based lube.
Benchmark and H322 are quite accurate in my .45 cal. rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:48 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Some of the guys on a BP forum I frequent are experimenting with coconut oil for patch lube in their smokepoles. If using oil, I use neetsfoot oil (not compound) or Track's (trackofthewolf) mink Oil - for hunting. For plinking, I use a water based lube.
Benchmark and H322 are quite accurate in my .45 cal. rifles.

Here in Calgary I haven't seen h322 powder yet but 43 grains of benchmark with my 480 grain spitzer bullets is a crazy accurate kaboom! It does aprox 1600 fps with my 18.5 barrel. Been getting good accuracy from 16 grains of unique powder in 405 grain cast bullets. Cheap plinking rounds but that power rush is a trip. I want to meet other long distance shooters out here which is why I brought my Texan and omega compressor. My pcps shoot way better than all my powder burners.

Hw45 in .22 and .177
Norinco m305 7.62 x 51
Marlin 1895 45 70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:00 am 

Being that this topic has swayed off airguns its now here.

Whitewolf