Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Son's Cougar Today
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:18 pm 

Apparently not bad. Have seen it on the menu at the local wild game dinner/fund raiser off and on.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-coo ... lion-meat/

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:23 pm 

rsterne wrote:
So if they had a reason, it would be OK?.... A rancher protecting his cattle (so that you could enjoy a burger or steak).... of a farmer his chickens (pass the eggs, please).... that would obviously be fine.... So someone acting on behalf of that food producer would obviously be OK as well, right?.... I see no difference between this and a Varmint hunter operating on the "Permission" of a landowner to wipe out as many P-dogs, Ground Squirrels, or 'Chucks as you can.... They're cute too, one at a time....

If Alberta determine there is enough of an oversupply of Cougars to allow hunting them, then let them be hunted, IMO.... Same goes for Wolves, if their population numbers are too high in a given area.... What does Cougar taste like, BTW?.... :lol:

Bob

Well said, you absolutely nailed it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm 

Nice cougar!!!!!!!!!!!! - in trees is where they are shot - well, mostly in trees, not generally not off a bait or off your kid's play pen in the back yard in the summer time - but sometimes both depending on the local laws.

That one is a good one to get out of the gene pool. That is a huge cat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:33 pm 

Bob - cougar tastes like a mild game meat - I've had it at game banquets - I'm told it is a lot like lynx, which is supposed to be a native favourite in Northern Ontario & even preferred to turkey at Christmas time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm 

Aged wrote:
We're funny. We wouldn't shoot a dog for no reason but kill coyotes a hundred miles from the nearest town. Shoot a deer, sure but not a horse yet both are eatable. Crows are ugly shoot them but it would be a shame to kill a cardinal. Personally If I'm going to eat it I have no problem with a humane shot. For those of you who would never kill anything yet eat meat go visit a slaughter house.
I wouldn't kill a cougar to stuff it but if someone else does so legally that's their business. But Harold, don't call me a stupid for my opinion.

interesting - SouthWestern Ontario, Aged?

Further to that, I've eaten a lot of horse meat at my friend's farm in Horsefly, BC. They raise horses, ride some & eat the others. They are Swiss.

When I lived in SW Ontario and obtained my first hunting license in 1965, aged 15, the game regs which I memorized, stated:

"It is the duty of every licensed hunter to eradicate ALL domestic carnivores found more than 500yards from outbuildings".

I took those regs seriously, but could not shoot dogs out running, I loved dogs. Neighbourhood cats killed my rabbits and pigeons when I was 11 through 13yrs. old. I actually had no trouble shooting feral cats then, out hunting mice or grouse or rabbits, nor now, imagine that!

Now, I also include any dogs I find running in the bush here in BC, in areas that I am the only hunter present. Since the use of dogs to hunt deer is legal, I must be careful, thus in almost 40 years I have shot only 2 dogs yhen out in the bush - but many cats - all feral - ie: gone wild cats, when I was oput hunting, or simply working prowl shift at the jail. I figured it kept the inmates inside the building guessing, when awakened at 3AM from my .44 Mag. or .38SPL. killing another cat. Both of these species when feral, are a blight on our game populations - along with over-populations of the big cats and wolves.

When the big cats and wolves overpopulate, hunger sends them to the ranches to eat cattle and horses & farm dogs - then into outside city urban areas where they prey on domestic cats and dogs - or people as has happened too many times, here, Alberta and Alaska. If all of these species are not kept in check, problems ensue.

Note now how there is a wolf problem in the States, from Michigan to Northern Cal. - from the 50 BC wolves originally purchased and released in Yellowstone Park. They now number close to or over 3,000 & although starting in Wyoming/Montana in the park, they of course, spread West and East - and have numbers from California to Michigan - unintended consequences? maybe not, but it's a bad scene. In Montana, wolves now come to game calls and rifle shots as if they are dinner calls, the same as grizzlies have been known to do around here for some time. There is an upside - more wolves are now being shot in Idaho and Montana by hunters, where the federally introduced dangerous species designation has been lifted by the governors of those States. They have declared the Fed government did not have the authority to put their ranchers and populations at risk.

Just ask the parks service in Hawai'i about invasive species! That is what cats and dogs, pigs and goats are, when in the wild. I did talked with a couple of them about invasive species.

In Australia, feral, kitty cats are having a demonstrative effect on their indigenous bird and small mammal populations. It is a never ending story.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 pm 

FRANK wrote:
This is a airgun related forum so stop your winning and go vote liberal one more time see where that gets you.

it was wounded, thanks for taking out of it's pain,
wounded like this it could have attack something else. like a child or family pet or farm animals or run in-front of your car and make you lose control or crash, all that was stopped.

on the other hand if it would have been healthy maybe my opinion would be different. but it was not.

Unless they were out specifically hunting for sickly animals, the quills seem more like a convenient rationalization that a legit reason to hunt it.

As for the first sentence, I am not sure an air gun site is an obvious place to expect widespread support for big game trophy hunting. I shoot targets, cans and if necessary I will shoot a pest. That is a helluva long way from celebrating the death of a big cat that was treed, simply for the pleasure of having it stuffed and displayed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 pm 

Aged wrote:
We're funny. We wouldn't shoot a dog for no reason but kill coyotes a hundred miles from the nearest town.

I guess I'm funnier... because I have no qualm with dispatching a cat or a dog that are out in the wood. Heck, a farmer where I used to hunt had offered to give me some $$ for ammo if I was willing to dispatch of any stray cat/dog I came across while walking his woods.

As far as that cougar is concerned, someone need to keep the population in check. Better it be shot than wait for an overpopulation problem.

-

What I find funny is people getting excited over a rabbit hanging at the butcher's shop... but these same people find it perfectly OK to have live lobster boiled at the grocery store... for their convenience...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Aged wrote:
As far as that cougar is concerned, someone need to keep the population in check. Better it be shot than wait for an overpopulation problem.

Any evidence the population was out of check? Was this cougar looking to multiply to dangerous levels? The above is a simplistic rationalization for shooting a beautiful animal up in a tree. It wasn't a threat. Be honest about what it was: a trophy for someone's rec room, nothing more. There was no heroism or manliness involved in killing the great cat.

The cat wasn't "wounded" and in pain as Frank spuriously contends. A lot of animals are regularly quilled and suffer little for it.

Calling out unnecessary killing for the pleasure of a trophy is not liberal "winning" either, although I suspect Frank meant "whining". It is instead common sense, which everyone regardless of political persuasion should have in a little more abundance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 am 

I want to apologize for the misleading nature of my previous post. It appears that I've mistakenly quoted Aged rather than sillymike. It was with his words that I disagreed.
sillymike wrote:

My other comments stand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 am 

Well, government biologist must have thought there was a need... they issued the license.

-

If we want to save the animals... maybe we ought to do something to stop the ever expending urban centres.
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 am 

sillymike wrote:
Well, government biologist must have thought there was a need... they issued the license.

-

If we want to save the animals... maybe we ought to do something to stop the ever expending urban centres.
https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/

Ha! good luck with that... :roll:
that's some wishful thinking right there...
Man has been known to destroy everything in his path with no care about anything what so ever.... :evil:
till its to little to late, then try to point finger ells were... :axe:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 am 

Ace wrote:
Man has been known to destroy everything in his path with no care about anything what so ever.... :evil:
till its to little to late, then try to point finger ells were... :axe:

It's not a trait or tendency only the human species however we as a species should know better by now.

I've been following this thread from the beginning and would like to participate however my big SUV with leather upholstery would say I was a hypocrite for doing so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:29 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

I've been following this thread from the beginning and would like to participate however my big SUV with leather upholstery would say I was a hypocrite for doing so.

Reminds me of a woman at the office a few years back complaining that ridding a motorcycle for fun on weekend wasn't environmently friendly... Yet her driving a SUV to work was (she didn't like the schedule of public transport), driving that SUV to the cottage on weekend and her flying South in the winter... that was somehow acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 pm 

Cedar Fork, Utah- man kills cougar in town while it is chewing up an old dog.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/vi ... 2899127001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:02 am 

Mans needs are easily met. Mans wants and desires are out of controll and will never be satisfied. The latest discovery of Earth like planets, immediately led me to the conclusion that all future resources for space exploration will be focused on getting there. If one of the planets has life, but not intelligent biengs, then chances are it has a balanced ecological system. When humans land on that planet, they will ultimately destroy it. First, they will wipe out the competition.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next