Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: My new B-31 AK-47 Clone
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:56 pm 

Thank you to Jamie at GMK up in Thunder Bay. Very, very simple transaction, done over the phone in 10 minutes, putting me ahead of other customers he undoubtedly had in the shop. Have to email him and buy something else soon.

The rifle arrived in 3 days Express Post, double boxed and tape over that.

Outside of rifle had some remains of mystery preservative, not too much and the bluing looked real nice still. After some Hoppes everything came up sweet.

I got a hilarious 1 page "manual" and thats it.

I am going to email Jamie and buy the sling because he would know which one will fit and it looks cool. Give me a chance to buy something else off him too :)

Now, keep in mind this rifle was sitting in a corner of the warehouse for at least a couple years I would guess, so the inside was pretty dry. I did NOT take it apart as it looks like more than I want to get in to just now, BUT lubed what I could.

The pistol grip is wood as is the fore stock. The scales on the folding stock are plastic. The usual baby poop brown which I detest, but this one gets a dark mahogany finish later on. I'll match the folding stock scales with paint.

Sights are adjustable, see pictures. EDIT: They do not have windage from what I can see, sorry.

The rifle looks pretty sturdy to me. Not OVERLY beefy, but solid enough.

The folding stock is held in place by a spring loaded detent and snaps solidly in to place. Could you break it by smashing it over your knee? probably, but for normal, reasonable use i see no problems.

Cocking effort is easy, similar to a QB57 or Griffon.

So breech seal bone dry and before I fired it I dropped 7 or 8 drips of silicone oil in the piston hole. I worked the cocking lever 20 or 30 times without fully cocking it.

I was shooting at a hardcover book from 5 feet away with heavy blankets covering the muzzle in case of ricochet and I had safety glasses on.

First shot stuck in the hardcover itself. extremely weak. Hmmmmm..

Using daisy pointed lead pellets.

To make a long story short, some more oil in the chamber, on the seal, etc and the 6th shot was penetrating the book 1/2" and denting another 1/4" of pages. I am pulling this number out of my a**, but at least 450fps in my opinion.

The rifle is VERY quiet. Less noise than 90% of my pistols. Almost NO spring twang.

Dunno what the trigger is but it is pretty good to me. Clean break at..6 pounds maybe? Mine seems more single stage than double, but I havent shot slowly yet to test it.

I will of course take the sucker apart, but it looks a little complex to be honest, and I need a few hours without being harassed by work, pharmacy, nurses, doctors apointments, and so on every 5 minutes.

I am incredibly happy with this purchase. It is a very cool, unique air rifle and i love the darn thing :) :).....for people that may be reading this and do not know me, I own several higher end ( think German) air rifles and of course they are a different animal, but I am NOT a gun snob...I love these quirky Chinese or Russion oddball things. I think I play with them more than the high end stuff to be honest.

Thanks so much Jamie. A nice ray of sunshine today that helped me forget the last few miserable days :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 pm 
Supporting Members

First thing I did with mine was take paint remover and strip the wood. Believe it or not there is actually nice wood under there. The previous owner already upgraded the spring, so all I had to do was a lube and cleaning up the trigger and any moving parts. DO NOT trust the loading port.......do yourself a favour and cut a small piece of hardwood to act as a failsafe. These can and will take the top off your finger. Luckily I was warned before it happened to me. Here is a picture of mine after I redid the wood.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 pm 
Site Moderator

Hi ITGUY,

The windage is adjusted on the front sight. I think you can also fine tune elevation up front. The B3-1 looks pretty slick with a black stock and black buttstock insert. I extended the buttstock on mine by drilling two holes, attached a shaped wood block and then screwed a thick recoil pad on top (old scrap pad). It worked great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 pm 

Thank you for the tips and pictures. I have a post somewhere that I refinished one of these Chinese stocks and it came out nice.

I have removed the action from the stock \ receiver. The single bolt holding on the pistol grip to the frame is crappy design and weak. I can see it getting wobbly already.

I'm going to drill through the frame in to the wood and install 2 more screws, maybe 1.5" in to the pistol grip.

The rifle is still spitting out a little silicone oil spray but that's fine. I'll do the spring, piston, and compression chamber this weekend. I have a lot of Chinese replacement parts laying around if needed.

Fun gun :)

EDIT: Yes, I see the big pin on the front sight to drift for windage, thanks for pointing that out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:16 pm 

I know it is only 6\7 yards and i could hit the target by throwing the rifle at it, but this is 5 shots with the AK-47 clone using Daisy lead pointed pellets. First shot was the bottom one with the sights as they came from factory...set at the 100M detent. i moved the rear to the 200M detent and shot 4 more times.

i have not cleaned the barrel nor done any more than remove action from stock, lube up what I could without disassembly, and tighten things up, lube breech seal and dump silicone in the compression chamber. These 5 shots are probably the 25th or 26th in total, so its not even close to broken in. Hope it doesnt get worse LOL.