Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:32 pm 

There is always the Princess Auto ducks. Not the best quality but lots of fun.

Attachments:
8391963.jpg
8391963.jpg [ 187.49 KiB | Viewed 782 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:25 pm 

Here is my set up. A little bit of everything. Started with a 3/4" x 3 1/2' x 6" plywood to mount to. The wife made me paint it the same as the wall so it wouldn't stick out. LOL It's the least I can do so I can shoot in the basement!!!!
The white target is a piece of 1" particle board with the center cleaned out to put duct seal in. To be safe behind that piece I have a 16" x 16" piece of plate steel. Bottom is just a shelf to shoot at cans (and other things) and the top has a few steel targets. Works great for all types of shooting.
P.S. Duct seal is cheap so I just let it fill up behind the paper target, when full, I just cut out and replace.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:59 pm 

Wish my setup was as nice JWG :)

Nice indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:17 am 

ITGUY wrote:

Nice indeed.

Thanks, it's developed over time and has taken a beating. My son and I both shoot .177 and .22cal full power rifles and it seems to hold up. The black knock target has taken the most abuse but I just bend it back to shape after a day of shooting. Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:19 pm 
Supporting Member

jwg wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

Nice indeed.

Thanks, it's developed over time and has taken a beating. My son and I both shoot .177 and .22cal full power rifles and it seems to hold up. The black knock target has taken the most abuse but I just bend it back to shape after a day of shooting. Lol

Don't the full power guns shoot right through your back stop? I have several that would go through the plywood and then through both sides of the drywall too. Oh well. . . as long as the cat isn't sitting on the other side. . . and I guess that's why God made poly filla :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:30 pm 

raezor wrote:
jwg wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

Nice indeed.

Don't the full power guns shoot right through your back stop? I have several that would go through the plywood and then through both sides of the drywall too. Oh well. . . as long as the cat isn't sitting on the other side. . . and I guess that's why God made poly filla :D

1/4" Steel plate behind white target (paper one) stops anything!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:28 pm 

pete wrote:
hey dd. are these any good. I just looked at them on e-bay. they say airsoft but can they take pellet and bb beatings. and the cheapest ones I saw were $14.97 for six. thanks.

Hey Pete, the answer about those little silhouette targets is:
Airsoft BBs put a dent in them and smash to pieces.
.177 out of a P17 put a slightly larger dent (not much in it, those airsoft BBs pack quite a punch out of a CO2 mag).
.22 out of a HW45 put a massive dent on the front with a big bulge on the back. I might try my rifle sometime and see if I can put a hole through one.
They will be fine for low power plinking but you will probably need to hammer them out from time to time (I have seen that mentioned in one of the Ebay reviews).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:11 am 

DDtank wrote:
pete wrote:
hey dd. are these any good. I just looked at them on e-bay. they say airsoft but can they take pellet and bb beatings. and the cheapest ones I saw were $14.97 for six. thanks.

Hey Pete, the answer about those little silhouette targets is:
Airsoft BBs put a dent in them and smash to pieces.
.177 out of a P17 put a slightly larger dent (not much in it, those airsoft BBs pack quite a punch out of a CO2 mag).
.22 out of a HW45 put a massive dent on the front with a big bulge on the back. I might try my rifle sometime and see if I can put a hole through one.
They will be fine for low power plinking but you will probably need to hammer them out from time to time (I have seen that mentioned in one of the Ebay reviews).

hey pp sorry for using your thread. but we are getting a lot of good ideas while doing so. thanks dd I kind of figured they wouldn.t be very good for us. take a look at the ones I make in the airgun target section. they can really take a beating. I bought one of those princess auto duck ones and don,t like it at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 am 

I use cheap hokey pucks. I use one in a wooden frame. When is filled, I replace it.
You must be able to make small groups. It works for me at 25 m.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:33 pm 

I got a Daisy outdoor products pellet trap from Amazon a few years ago and the thing has now received thousands of shots. Steel is fairly thick which makes it heavy but weight is sign of reliability.

It's expensive, though. Regular price is around $90 CAD. I got mine for much less because it was a return.

Apart from my pellet pouch, this was the best airgun accessory purchase I've ever made. Anytime I go shooting, I take it with me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Daisy-Outdoor-Products-990879-101-Airsoft/dp/B000N8KHQ6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1486171871&sr=8-7&keywords=pellet+trap

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:50 pm 

I'm with Ace. Champion Heavy Duty Metal Trap. Or any other heavy duty one made for .22 rimfire.

I've shot up to .25 caliber in mine for ten years. Plus .22s and cast bullets below 800fps in up to 25 cal.

Still going strong. By the way, melt down the old used pellets for fishweights or cast .25 caliber bullets for your Samyang with them! :D That's why I don't use duct seal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:15 pm 

Just got this from Hero Outdoors. It is a Hatsan trap, targets are 6" x 6" and more importantly, readily available without having to go get them made at Staples.

Looks very well built, heavy, all steel, back plate is thick and rated for 1250fps and it will do that EASILY by the looks of it. $39.00 plus the extra targets.

Perfect for an indoor 7\8 yard range :) :) although I may be able to stretch that to 9 yards soon.

EDIT: Yes, I have enough duct seal left for a 1" layer which is FAR more than needed for low powered indoor gun use. My IZH-61 for example barely sinks the flat heads 1/8" deep in the duct seal and BB's barely embed themselves at all.

FRONT

REAR

http://www.herooutdoors.com/hatsan-air-rifle-pellet-catcher/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 am 

Nice, what is the telescoptic wand for?

I have 5lbs of duct seal coming, how much did you use to get a 1" layer?

ITGUY wrote:
Just got this from Hero Outdoors. It is a Hatsan trap, targets are 6" x 6" and more importantly, readily available without having to go get them made at Staples.

Looks very well built, heavy, all steel, back plate is thick and rated for 1250fps and it will do that EASILY by the looks of it. $39.00 plus the extra targets.

Perfect for an indoor 7\8 yard range :) :) although I may be able to stretch that to 9 yards soon.

EDIT: Yes, I have enough duct seal left for a 1" layer which is FAR more than needed for low powered indoor gun use. My IZH-61 for example barely sinks the flat heads 1/8" deep in the duct seal and BB's barely embed themselves at all.

FRONT

REAR

http://www.herooutdoors.com/hatsan-air-rifle-pellet-catcher/

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:55 am 

Hi Plink
Telescopic wand is for old guys who drop screws or roll pins on the floor and watch them go under the couch :) :) or in this case, to show the trap is steel and not some other cheesy metal.

Half of your 5lb brick should easily suffice for indoor use, probably less. If you are using outdoors then no need to bother with the putty I wouldn't think. It is VERY dense material.

TIP: wear some disposable nitirde gloves or something, it leaves a residue on your hands that is a PITA to wash off.

EDIT: The targets are stiff cardboard and are 10 bucks for 50. So .20 cents each..each one of the 10 meter style (5 bulls) will give me 25 shots since I like 5 shot groups. I got an extra 10 packs so wont have to worry for awhile. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:18 pm 

Thanks mate - will see if 2 of the 5 bricks will work, should have it in a day or two

ITGUY wrote:
Hi Plink
Telescopic wand is for old guys who drop screws or roll pins on the floor and watch them go under the couch :) :) or in this case, to show the trap is steel and not some other cheesy metal.

Half of your 5lb brick should easily suffice for indoor use, probably less. If you are using outdoors then no need to bother with the putty I wouldn't think. It is VERY dense material.

TIP: wear some disposable nitirde gloves or something, it leaves a residue on your hands that is a PITA to wash off.

Learn to Love To Do Well - And You Shall. - C. Poseidon