Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:00 pm 

Any suggestions about where I might find an adjustable hamster (other than Rowan Engineering) that would attach to the rail under a rifle?

The Rowan Engineering one is probably the best one, but at 360 British Pounds (about CAD$600) it's just too rich for my blood.

I have a new rifle, one of the brand new CZ200S "Green" models (probably the only one in Canada as I had to get it special order) and the stock and underneath rail is different from other CZ200 models. Between the end of the rail and the trigger guard is only about 2" and that's not enough to allow attaching a hamster to the stock. So I'm looking for something that could slide into the rail, be fixed in place, and then allow the palm shelf to be angled down and back towards the trigger. If it went straight down from the end of the rail I feel it would be too far forward for me to be comfortable with it. (I'm comparing it with the Rowan hamster I have on my AA S400 MPR FT, which is absolutely perfect, and it isn't and doesn't need to be adjustable.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:54 pm 

They are the best out there right now, but they are not quite that expensive, I recently bought one. Still expensive of course, but there are others at the same price point that are nowhere near the quality of Rowans work, they are top notch.

Their kneerisers are £240+mount, with a T-Slot or bolt-in mount they are £260+£18 shipping = $458. It is actually coming up as £234.58 or $386.80 in the shopping cart right now though...
http://www.romancart.com/cart.asp

You could look at the unit from RAW, currently on sale for $200USD, probably $300 by the time you have it in your hands
https://www.rapidairweapons.com/xcart/p ... 271&page=1

For the $87 difference I would easily get the Rowan over the RAW, much less bulky and easier to adjust, also the RAW kneeriser weighs 2.5lbs!!! Good for springers I guess lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:41 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
They are the best out there right now, but they are not quite that expensive, I recently bought one. Still expensive of course, but there are others at the same price point that are nowhere near the quality of Rowans work, they are top notch.

Their kneerisers are £240+mount, with a T-Slot or bolt-in mount they are £260+£18 shipping = $458. It is actually coming up as £234.58 or $386.80 in the shopping cart right now though...
http://www.romancart.com/cart.asp

You could look at the unit from RAW, currently on sale for $200USD, probably $300 by the time you have it in your hands
https://www.rapidairweapons.com/xcart/p ... 271&page=1

For the $87 difference I would easily get the Rowan over the RAW, much less bulky and easier to adjust, also the RAW kneeriser weighs 2.5lbs!!! Good for springers I guess lol

That RAW unit doesn't look bad! Thank you for telling me about it.

But regarding the Rowan stuff, I was looking at the Mechanism with Adjustable T-Rail Mounting (£280) because I think it would be more versatile and would allow me to more easily swap it back and forth between my rifles. And in your pricing above you're overlooking that these prices do NOT INCLUDE the actual palm shelf/rest. That's an extra £80. So it's £360 plus shipping which for the sake of argument is the £18 you mention. £378. And the pure conversion (not what the banks actually end up charging which is always a fair bit more) comes to CAD$623.

So that's a LOT more than the RAW unit. Which would cost probably about the $300 you mention. The Rowan is surely a better unit, but is it worth double the price?

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:56 pm 

I was just about to order the RAW unit, but held off when I found they want US$65 to ship the darn thing by MAIL to Canada!!!!!!! And that makes me feel ripped off, so I decided to wait a bit and see if I find any other options.

(Totally out of line, especially when you consider the Rowan shipping cost, for a larger and heavier unit, coming from overseas, costs only about a third of that.)

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 am 

Hi Eldor,

ANother option is the Mac1 riser -

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/adjustabl ... eerest.htm

I have both the Mac1 and the Rowan. I prefer the Mac1 because you can easily adjust the position of the riser on the rail, whereas the Rowan you cannot. (At least the model I have, maybe there's another one that is adjustable.) I didn't like the salad bowl hamster on the Mac1 though, so I made my own. I've tried the RAW, and it seems nice, though according to the member who owns it, he's not happy with it because it moves even when it's locked into position. I'm sure it's possible to tighten up the hardware so that it's not a problem though.

Otherwise, you could go ultra cheap and for about $50 you can Mcguyver a ram mount. I expect though that if you won't use a toilet flange bolt, you wouldn't use a ram mount either. :P

https://www.amazon.ca/RAM-Mounts-RAM-11 ... =ram+mount

GL,
Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:26 pm 

Hunkaluv wrote:
Hi Eldor,

ANother option is the Mac1 riser -

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/adjustabl ... eerest.htm

I have both the Mac1 and the Rowan. I prefer the Mac1 because you can easily adjust the position of the riser on the rail, whereas the Rowan you cannot. (At least the model I have, maybe there's another one that is adjustable.) I didn't like the salad bowl hamster on the Mac1 though, so I made my own. I've tried the RAW, and it seems nice, though according to the member who owns it, he's not happy with it because it moves even when it's locked into position. I'm sure it's possible to tighten up the hardware so that it's not a problem though.

Otherwise, you could go ultra cheap and for about $50 you can Mcguyver a ram mount. I expect though that if you won't use a toilet flange bolt, you wouldn't use a ram mount either. :P

https://www.amazon.ca/RAM-Mounts-RAM-11 ... =ram+mount

GL,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Happy New Year!

Thanks for pointing me to the Mac1 product. I looked at it and didn't like the looks of it. The RAM mount idea is a good one but I guess I'd have to jury rig some way to attach it to the rail (and I'd like it easily removable to move it forward/backward or put it on another rifle). And I'd still have to fashion some kind of base/block for it.

In any case, I gave RAW a phone call today about their (what I thought were) outrageous mail shipping charges - US$65!!! for this thing. And they checked, called me back and reduced the shipping to a much more reasonable US$24.50. (Still higher though than what Rowan charges for a substantially larger and heavier product, coming a much greater distance.) So I ordered one. My cost is going to be less than half (just over a third) of what the Rowan would have cost me and that fits my budget much better at this time.

I'm trying to set up that new CZ200S Green for field target, and have a regulator, air stripper, adjustable trigger and now this hamster coming for it. I've got high hopes for this being a really good FT rifle.

Cheers!

Eldor

Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:51 am 

Mtl_Biker wrote:

That RAW unit doesn't look bad! Thank you for telling me about it.

But regarding the Rowan stuff, I was looking at the Mechanism with Adjustable T-Rail Mounting (£280) because I think it would be more versatile and would allow me to more easily swap it back and forth between my rifles. And in your pricing above you're overlooking that these prices do NOT INCLUDE the actual palm shelf/rest. That's an extra £80. So it's £360 plus shipping which for the sake of argument is the £18 you mention. £378. And the pure conversion (not what the banks actually end up charging which is always a fair bit more) comes to CAD$623.

So that's a LOT more than the RAW unit. Which would cost probably about the $300 you mention. The Rowan is surely a better unit, but is it worth double the price?

Ahhh I see, wasn't thinking that you needed palm shelf. I would probably get the rowan and just make my own palm shelf in that case.

I see you ordered the unit from RAW, I am sure you will be happy with it, very solid piece of kit... :drinkers: