Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:14 am 

Whats one airgun law you like to have removed from Canada?

Personally I wouldn't mind airguns being removed from the CC as firearms ( still keep the whole if used in crime be subject the same ) That way that they wouldn't be subject to the same laws. That also should do away with over 500 FPS air pistols being restricted.

Being I don't quite like having rifles, and its hard to make a compact carbine over 500 FPS. I would LOVE a full power Hatsan ATP 22 or a Prod.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:10 am 

The "silencer/moderator/leadcatcher/whateveryoumightwanttocallit" law. It's the dumbest thing ever to me.
Devices that reduce the report of any type of gun should be legal, there's no point in making them illegal to me.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 am 

DocGadget wrote:
The "silencer/moderator/leadcatcher/whateveryoumightwanttocallit" law. It's the dumbest thing ever to me.
Devices that reduce the report of any type of gun should be legal, there's no point in making them illegal to me.

I fully understand why they made sound moderators prohibited however I too would've liked to have them. Even if just in my basement range. Isn't it mandatory in the UK for airguns in the UK in certain areas?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
DocGadget wrote:

I fully understand why they made sound moderators prohibited however I too would've liked to have them. Even if just in my basement range. Isn't it mandatory in the UK for airguns in the UK in certain areas?

I don't understand these laws at all. Everyone knows how to make one and it's cheap too! If you want to do some damage at a distance silently one could also use a crossbow that can easily be bought and makes less noise than a silenced firearm, but they make absolutly no sense on an airgun! What's the point? To make sure our neighbor can ear us shoot?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:44 am 

DocGadget wrote:
I don't understand these laws at all. Everyone knows how to make one and it's cheap too! If you want to do some damage at a distance silently one could also use a crossbow that can easily be bought and makes less noise than a silenced firearm, but they make absolutly no sense on an airgun! What's the point? To make sure our neighbor can ear us shoot?

It's in the movies. It's cool. They have to make it illegal. I'm not even joking at all.

Yes, so your neighbors can hear you shoot cause the majority of us live in a community area where you should not be shooting outside. The sound of a airgun should draw some attention. Same with hunting. A fully silent high muzzle energy airgun is not a good thing.

It does not go over my head that only the lawful follow the laws.

oh.. my favorite moderator, car oil filter. Those Americans are funny.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:32 pm 

Just make them the same as the UK: 12 ft lb rifles / 6 ft lb pistols is fine for most things; just apply for a FAC/PAL if you want more than that.
The irony is that having to apply for a PAL to get anything with a decent bit of power opens up a world of firearms that many airgunners (well, me anyway) would not have even considered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Personally I wouldn't mind airguns being removed from the CC as firearms ( still keep the whole if used in crime be subject the same ) That way that they wouldn't be subject to the same laws. That also should do away with over 500 FPS air pistols being restricted.

Being I don't quite like having rifles, and its hard to make a compact carbine over 500 FPS. I would LOVE a full power Hatsan ATP 22 or a Prod.

X2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm 

They should make an exception for Bullpup airguns. We can get (pretty much) every rifle and air pistol in canada, but sadly we arent allowed any Bullpups :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:10 pm 

czar wrote:
They should make an exception for Bullpup airguns. We can get (pretty much) every rifle and air pistol in canada, but sadly we arent allowed any Bullpups :(

Well the QB57 and clones. Are the only one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:05 pm 

DDtank wrote:
Just make them the same as the UK: 12 ft lb rifles / 6 ft lb pistols is fine for most things; just apply for a FAC/PAL if you want more than that.
The irony is that having to apply for a PAL to get anything with a decent bit of power opens up a world of firearms that many airgunners (well, me anyway) would not have even considered.

X2 ^^^^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:31 pm 

I'm for a 12ftlb rule and bull pups, the point about getting a Pal and getting into the world of fire arms is a good one there are enough rules to keep the out of the hands of children and from being used where they shouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:14 pm 

Don't really like the idea of a 12/6ftlb rule over what we have now. Raising muzzle velocity of rifles for those over 18yrs of age to 700fps while keeping pistols at 500fps sounds better to me.

Would like to see the bullpup rule go out the window. We HAVE minimums for barrel length and overall length...in my mind, that is sufficient.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:41 am 

I would like to see a 25ftlb threshold for air rifles.Under 25ftlbs not a firearm over 25ftlbs PAL rated.That way most air guns become non firearms and allow use of sound moderators on sub 25ftlb guns.Still keep provisions in the law if the gun is used in a crime etc.Most people that would invest in an airgun over 25ftlbs would most likely already have a PAL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:10 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:

It's in the movies. It's cool. They have to make it illegal. I'm not even joking at all.

Yes, so your neighbors can hear you shoot cause the majority of us live in a community area where you should not be shooting outside. The sound of a airgun should draw some attention. Same with hunting. A fully silent high muzzle energy airgun is not a good thing.

It does not go over my head that only the lawful follow the laws.

oh.. my favorite moderator, car oil filter. Those Americans are funny.

Using this logic, we should do away with muffler on cars, so thieves couldn't get away without getting noticed... right?

Seriously, they are readily available in many part of the world. Yet, you seldom read of one getting used in a crime.
Just like nunchaku, some politicians are watching too many movies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:25 pm 

sillymike wrote:

Using this logic, we should do away with muffler on cars, so thieves couldn't get away without getting noticed... right?

Seriously, they are readily available in many part of the world. Yet, you seldom read of one getting used in a crime.
Just like nunchaku, some politicians are watching too many movies.

I actually stated I'm pro moderators. I was only offering a understanding of reasons why they should not be used on airgun. Keeping in mind driving a car is not illegal where discharging a airgun in residential areas is. Not sure how stolen part applies.

I agree with the movie reference.