Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 pm 

So I will admit right away that I'm not technical when it comes to airguns. I shoot them out of the box and wouldn't be comfortable taking anything apart other than the most basic of things.

That being said, I got my new HW45 from D&L. Unlike my last one (also from D&L last year) this one seems really dry right out of the box.

What I mean specifically is, when cocking the gun, it's not smooth. It's jerky. And once you cock it, you can move the top part of the gun back and forth and the "arm" slides back and forth, well it's very stiff. The last one I had was ultra smooth right out of the box. It got a bit better after a few shots, but I just don't want to risk any damage by grinding metal to metal without lube if I can avoid it.

So - what would you suggest? Leave it alone? Or put some oil/lube along the gap in the spring (exposed after cocking)? If so, what kind of oil?

Thanks guys

- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 am 

I didn't do anything with mine when it was new but don't remember what it was like. Since then I just put a dab of grease on each side where the cocking arm slides up and down and that was it. Give it a whirl and see if it loosens up. Be worth pulling a couple of patches through the barrel first though.
Most of all...give it some time and don't sell it again this time only to regret later!! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:33 am 

Usually, the Weihrauch's have an abundance of lube. I would put some Moly on the mainspring, and like rizaloo said, put some Moly where the cocking arms slide on the receiver - push some beneath the slot. RC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:14 pm 

RC1947 wrote:
Usually, the Weihrauch's have an abundance of lube. I would put some Moly on the mainspring, and like rizaloo said, put some Moly where the cocking arms slide on the receiver - push some beneath the slot. RC

Yeah my last HW45 had so much factory grease that it was almost seeping out of some spots. This one seems really dry. I asked D&L to see what they'd say and told me, under no circumstances, to add any oil or grease to the HW45 and to just keep using it to break it in. I believe that also aligns with what the manual says too.

Last edited by rizaloo on Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:19 pm 

DDtank wrote:
I didn't do anything with mine when it was new but don't remember what it was like. Since then I just put a dab of grease on each side where the cocking arm slides up and down and that was it. Give it a whirl and see if it loosens up. Be worth pulling a couple of patches through the barrel first though.
Most of all...give it some time and don't sell it again this time only to regret later!! :wink:

Oh I'm never selling it this time. I've spent a year regretting it. Temporary insanity! Unfortunately now I have to break this thing in all over again, but that's fine.

What do you mean by pulling a couple of patches through the barrel? As in, to clean it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:16 am 

Yes, just to wipe away any grease on the inside from manufacture. Have a look through it, may not be critical but I bought a Walther barrel for a 1740 and that had what looked like some sort of resin stuck inside it. Just go get your pellets and shoot it out, will soon burn off! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Moderator

Try applying a 50/50 mixture of moly paste and silicone oil to the spring, through the cocking slots. A couple of small gobs will be enough. As you shoot, the lube will distribute.

My old HW45 Review was lost but much of it is still accessible through this archive link.
http://web.archive.org/web/200409082023 ... W45Review/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:03 pm 

TCooper wrote:
Try applying a 50/50 mixture of moly paste and silicone oil to the spring, through the cocking slots. A couple of small gobs will be enough. As you shoot, the lube will distribute.

My old HW45 Review was lost but much of it is still accessible through this archive link.
http://web.archive.org/web/200409082023 ... W45Review/

Thanks Todd! I've read that review several times now, it's easily the best resource for the HW45 that I've ever found. I'll also take the suggestion under consideration, but right now I don't own either of these (moly/silicone oil).

Quick question - any reason why Weihrauch or the distributors would discourage this sort of thing so heavily? Is it mainly so people don't just use any oil they find and damage their gun?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Moderator

I can't understand why a dealer would discourage the use of proper lubrication for a springer pistol. It usually comes out of the box with a small amount of internal lube so it makes sense to continue with lubrication as needed, but don't overdo it. Too much lube will give you dieseling and a smoky shooter. A dry pistol would likely have unnecessary friction.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 pm 

TCooper wrote:
I can't understand why a dealer would discourage the use of proper lubrication for a springer pistol. It usually comes out of the box with a small amount of internal lube so it makes sense to continue with lubrication as needed, but don't overdo it. Too much lube will give you dieseling and a smoky shooter. A dry pistol would likely have unnecessary friction.

Exactly the situation. Unnecessary friction. My other HW45 didn't have this issue and I even mentioned that fact, that this one in particular was very dry. They said, "Never oil this pistol, ever. Just keep using it and it'll get better".

This is D&L airgun that said this, btw. IF they frequent this forum, perhaps they can explain themselves. They are the last Weihrauch dealer that I know of in Canada. They've been in business a long time, so I am guessing they have good reason for what they said. THe only one I can think of, is that other people have botched their guns with too much oil or the wrong kind, or in the wrong place, and sent them these guns for warranty work. So now it's a blanket statement to avoid that situation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:10 pm 

If it's really bad I'd send it back for an exchange. There shouldn't be any faults out of the box for a pistol that pricy.