Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Remington Pellet Trap
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:05 pm 

I picked this up at Princess Auto for 19.99. It says its rated to 1000 FPS.

I shot at it a several times with a 400 FPS BB gun, Pellets at 300 FPS ( lighter hit marks ) and my vantage that slings 7.4 grn at 856 FPS.

Well I say in 6 months this would be completely worn out. BB's are already showing dents on the back side and good size dents from the 7.4 wadcutters. I didnt want to try the RWS 8.2s or my 22 cals. But I think it would just destroy it. Probably best to put some duct seal on it to slow the pellets down if you plan to use something heavier then a 500 FPS airgun on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:40 am 

I pitched mine. Couldn't find proper sized replacement targets. Started cutting my own from cardboard then gave my head a shake....Life's too short.

Now I own 4 Hatsan pellet catchers and have purchased about a thousand Hatsan targets for it. A mix of the 5 bull 10M and single large bull for sighting in purposes.

They all have duct seal putty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 am 

It is very solid and has a thick back plate with a radius to guide the pellets to the base.

• Designed to use with Hatsan Air Rifles.
• Special design which traps the pellets and lever lets them out...
• Superb-all-steel construction.
• Galvanized finish assuring durability and total protection against corrosion.
• Comes in its box with 50 pieces Hatsan targets.
• Suitable for shooting with all Hatsan air guns with velocities even up to 1250 fps (375 m/s).
• Intended for use with lead air-gun pellets. Steel BBs should never be used with pellet catchers because of danger of ricochets.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 am 

ITGUY wrote:
I pitched mine. Couldn't find proper sized replacement targets. Started cutting my own from cardboard then gave my head a shake....Life's too short.

Now I own 4 Hatsan pellet catchers and have purchased about a thousand Hatsan targets for it. A mix of the 5 bull 10M and single large bull for sighting in purposes.

Well I have a Champion 22 rimfire pellet trap for outdoors. I picked this up for my Chrony range, down in the basement. Because I got tired of blowing holes in my rubber mulch trap and having mulch leak out. I wanted something small I could setup and not take up so much space.

But I thought this trap would be much stronger.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 am 

leadslinger wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

Well I have a Champion 22 rimfire pellet trap for outdoors. I picked this up for my Chrony range, down in the basement. Because I got tired of blowing holes in my rubber mulch trap and having mulch leak out. I wanted something small I could setup and not take up so much space.

But I thought this trap would be much stronger.

This Hatsan pellet trap is made of 1.5mm steel plate which is 2 times thicker than conventional pellet traps. The pellet trap includes 10x single shot targets and 10x 5-Shot targets.

14 x 14cm
1.5mm steel plate
Including 10x single shot targets
Including 10x 5-Shot targets

http://www.herooutdoors.com/hatsan-air-rifle-pellet-catcher/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:27 am 

ITGUY wrote:

This Hatsan pellet trap is made of 1.5mm steel plate which is 2 times thicker than conventional pellet traps. The pellet trap includes 10x single shot targets and 10x 5-Shot targets.

So about 14 gauge steel plate/sheet as a backer. Thanks for that info. I've been debating what gauge of cold rolled steel sheet to use as my backer for my pellet trap. I'll probably go 12g which is around 2mm thick.

This thread sums up "you get what you pay for"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:54 pm 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
ITGUY wrote:

So about 14 gauge steel plate/sheet as a backer. Thanks for that info. I've been debating what gauge of cold rolled steel sheet to use as my backer for my pellet trap. I'll probably go 12g which is around 2mm thick.

This thread sums up "you get what you pay for"

Well the steel on this Remington trap is 2mm. So its thicker than the hatsan trap. So you want thicker steel and or a layer of duct seal.