Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Mike Melick XS60c
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:23 pm 
Supporting Member

I decided I couldn't live without an XS60c (CO2) airgun in .22 caliber from Mike Melick at Flying Dragon Airguns.

So I emailed Mike, and he emailed back, etc., etc., etc., and now I have one. And I'm very happy with it.

He mailed it on 14 March 17,
Canada Post got it from customs (who opened it for inspection) on 21 March 17, and
I received it on 7 April 17.

Mike is a great guy to deal with and he prepped the rifle for me including a free fps adjustment, a new barrel crown, and he polished the stock.

The gun itself is great, and so light it's hard to believe it's a real gun.

I had growing pains with this, my very first CO2 rifle and learning about stuff like how not to close the cap on the gas tube too tight etc. I have to shoot at a more sedate pace to keep the gun from cooling too much, but I was surprised that at 10 yards when I could hear the sound of the impacts changing, the pellet trajectory didn't change much until the final 10 or so shots. I got about 60 usable shots which I think is fine. I got a bulk fill cap (which was extra) with the gun but I haven't tried that procedure yet.

I talked to Mike again today and he answered all my questions and offered advice. Like I said, a great guy to deal with.

The trigger was a bit rough with a long single pull, so I tuned it - reducing the trigger/sear overlap, easing the trigger pull spring a little, and most importantly fairing the trigger and sear where they interact. I used 400 to 1500 grit sandpaper. It now has an easier, shorter pull, and it's nice and smooth. One nice thing about the trigger is that when you remove the side plate, it doesn't want to go "sproing" and fly apart. It just sits there. And it's simple and easy to work on.

I've changed the sights to a rear UTG peep sight and a front sight with the core of a guitar "E" string for the vertical post with a tiny drop of epoxy on the end.

I've only Chrony'd 3 or 4 shots due to bad weather, but the top fps I got was 640. I was starting to run out of CO2 so I'll do it properly when the weather improves. It's too cold right now for CO2 guns outdoors.

It seems pretty accurate but I'm just starting to go through different pellets to find the type it prefers, and I'm still getting used to it. I put 5 pellets inside about 3/4" at 10 yards indoors with Grizzlys before I did the trigger. (My version of "rested" is sitting on a low stool, both elbows on my knees.) Since it has "no" recoil, maybe I'll try actual "rested".More experimenting coming up later today. :D And since Mike told me it's fine to leave the gun charged with CO2 (something probably everyone else already knows) I can go and fire just a few shots and don't have to exhaust all the gas.

It's a great looking gun and its FUN to shoot!!

Peter :D

Post subject: Re: Mike Melick XS60c
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm 
Supporting Member

Early update.

I think I've found the right pellet. Five JSB 5.52 Express went into the same hole at 10 yards from my "knee" rest. I still have others to try.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:09 pm 
Supporting Member

3/8" centre to centre.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:14 pm 

Sounds like a winner!

:D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:59 pm 
Supporting Member

This what the XS60C looks like with new open sights. The rear is a UTG peep sight.
Both copper pieces are plumbing parts, shaped and steel-wooled.
The black thing on the back of the rear peep sight cover is car inner tube rubber glued onto the copper and shaped to make a hood over the sight.
The gun is much shinier than it looks in the photo, and that's the bulk fill end cap on the gas tube.

I now have three pellets, H&N 5.54, JSB 5.52 Exp., and Grizzly that will group 3/8" or better for 5 shots at 10 yards.

I like this gun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 pm 

Very Sweet. I have an XS60C with Mike's end cap kit. He's a great guy and great to deal with. I did a review of mine a while back, https://youtu.be/Wf8CkM8AhZg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 pm 

Sounds like a winner! Congrats on your purchase Peter!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 am 
Supporting Member

Thanks guys; I really like this gun.

Hey Sonic, I watched your video before buying the gun (and again after seeing your post) and I found it very helpful. When I spoke to Mike I asked about the problem with O-rings and he knew all about it and assured me that "his" guns would all be trouble free. And mine is.

I may bulk fill today and see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 am 
Supporting Member

A member asked what procedure I used to get the gun into Canada.

Mike knew exactly what to do, and all I had to do was provide him with copies (front and back) of my PAL, and he had to ship to the same address as recorded for me by the Alberta Registrar of Firearms.

He included my PAL copies in the clear shipping label (they were folded, so not visible except for inspection) and sent it to me. I think he put a note on it "PAL" inside or something. The whole thing has gone to recycle now. The box was opened by Canada Customs and inspected, then forwarded on to Canada Post who delivered it to me.

Simple!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:35 pm 

PeterG wrote:
This what the XS60C looks like with new open sights. The rear is a UTG peep sight.
Both copper pieces are plumbing parts, shaped and steel-wooled.
The black thing on the back of the rear peep sight cover is car inner tube rubber glued onto the copper and shaped to make a hood over the sight.
The gun is much shinier than it looks in the photo, and that's the bulk fill end cap on the gas tube.

I now have three pellets, H&N 5.54, JSB 5.52 Exp., and Grizzly that will group 3/8" or better for 5 shots at 10 yards.

I like this gun.

You can get a brass-black solution made by Birchwood Casey, seems to me, which should also blacken the copper. - Gun Stores that carry Birchwood Casey Products.

Dull black would be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 pm 
Supporting Member

Like this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:56 pm 

Looks great!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk