Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Custom 22xx explodes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:34 am 

Not very well...'tis why I wear my life jacket in the boat. :wink:

Turning blue waiting for something to happen that isn't going to also doesn't appeal. :wink:

Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 pm 

:lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm 

topic71524.html

:?:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 pm 

Not quite Doug. :)

Being considered not safe by someone is not the same as having actually failed when used as intended. I'm actually a little surprised the forum allows these sorts potentially libelous statements to remain...but then I'm also a little surprised Alex hasn't had a lawyer after those guys in the video too.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 pm 

Step one: disassemble gun charged with 2000 psi.
Step two: blame maker of pressure tube.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:02 pm 

Kind of confused
So the hipac broke off at the threads and the valve exploded out the back of the tube??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:27 pm 

The HiPac broke through the bottom of the O-ring groove because the wall was too thin at that point.... I don't think there was any connection between that, and the failure of the single valve screw, which is why the valve ended up in his leg.... It is likely the valve screw failed first, and either the guy dropped the gun, twisted it, or the sudden depressurization broke the HiPac.... We will never know which failed first, but they are two completely separate failures that happened at the same time, or within milliseconds of each other....

The guys blaming the HiPac for the valve in his leg is totally wrong, that happened because he only used a single screw to retain it.... If the HiPac is used as intended, the tube is NOT pressurized, and the force on the valve is about 10th what it was when that gun failed.... On the other hand, some HiPacs and/or extensions are either drilled out oversize, and/or the O-ring groove is too deep, leaving the wall in that area too thin for the pressure loads.... Any additional load from the gun falling, or side pressure applied in some way, only makes a failure more likely.... This thread.... topic71524.html .... was posted because the manufacturer of the HiPac admitted that some/many of the parts were too thin.... although he never did issue a recall (that I saw), IMO he just disappeared and closed down the original website until the problem cooled off....

Like Al, I have never heard of a HiPac failing when used as intended.... although some have been prudently taken out of service by their owners because of the thin wall below the O-ring, which is adjacent to the threads.... I can only assume that is where the "failed at the threads" rumour started....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 pm 

I didn't realize this was such old news, also I did not post this link to make hipac look bad. I thought it was obvious the injured party was not treating hpa with the respect it deserves. Unfortunately he suffered because of it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:18 pm 

I can't believe he was stupid enough to disassemble a pressurized gun...
That is horrific