Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:50 pm 

I'm trying to sight in my Bug buster scope...the elevation is all the way up and still shooting 1/2 low? I did the mirror trick lining up the recticle but after getting same results!

Im about 30 ft starting at around 2200.

Ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Dan Wesson 715 Nickel 6" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:21 pm 

Try reversing rings around- rear to front, front to rear. If that fails, shim the rear ring. Diet coke cans seem to provide nice thin clean shims, and can be cut with household scissors. Easy way out would be a riser block with droop compensation. Less likely to mark up the scope tube that way. D&L would be a good place to start. I have a rimfire groove riser block by UTG that seems to work well.
Could be the scope too- some value priced scopes will have Q/C issues right out of the box.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

Like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/UTG-Compensation-Mount-Airgun-Trigger/dp/B007IHQJN0

Doesn't address the root cause, but will work.

Had (have) a Chinese Xisico XS60C Co2 rifle with dovetails milled off center to bore. Same as yours with the added bonus of being a foot to the left at 10 yards with scope out of further adjustment.

Changed rings, changed scope, no difference. Shimmed the Hell out of the scope ring side to push it over, 3 strips of pop can I think..maybe 2, plus the droop mount which is sort of funny since it is a fixed barrel rifle....but that was a year ago and it still shoots dead nuts now.

I put all scope adjustments back to center, rigged up my shims, sighted it in with very little adjustment, then red Loctited everything. Yes, red. I figured I only want to do it once and nothing was ever going to come off once I got it dialed in anyway.

Last edited by ITGUY on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:34 pm 

Thanks......i ended up using the pop can shim under the scope on the ring on the back. I'm back on target and still have some play.

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm 

Canadianguy wrote:
Thanks......i ended up using the pop can shim under the scope on the ring on the back. I'm back on target and still have some play.

I might take it off, get a second shim ready, and put the scope adjustment in the middle of its travel so you have full range.

Sorry for the obvious if you already did this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:18 pm 

On both rings? I just did the back. I like that idea!

Have picatany rails

S&W M29 8 3/8" Pellet
Sig Sauer M17 Pellet
KWC 1911 Tac .BB
Leapers UTG BB 3x12x32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm 

Canadianguy wrote:
On both rings? I just did the back. I like that idea!

Have picatany rails

Oh, nope just the back. The idea is to get the scope as close to being dead center on target using the shims (since you have to use them anyway) while having almost no adjustment to the scope windage or elevation knobs until AFTER you lock it down..then you only have to fine tune a little bit....using very little of the total adjustment range.

So remove scope, turn the windage knob all the way over in one direction..lets say it happens to be 3 full turns....then turn it back 1.5 turns so it is in the middle of its adjustment range and THEN put your shims in, mount the scope, and see where it shoots.

Maybe it will take two shims to get close, OK, no problem, put those two shims in, then lock down the rings....now you are close and still have the full range of the windage adjustment left to adjust if needed :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 pm 

This is the one I use on my HW springers - 17.1 MOA elevation

https://www.dlairgun.com/Mounts/Leapers ... DN460.html

This one gives 20.1

https://www.dlairgun.com/Mounts/Leapers ... DN034.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm 

ITGuy, interesting your x60c had the dovetail cut off kilter, my new QB 78D has the same problem, scope is tilted off to the left. Quite a quality control lapse! Now that I got the barrel cleaned out it is now shooting in the same hole at my short inside range semi rested, which is pretty exciting for me, cause I don't consider myself a very good shot. I guess I should do that shim job as well though so the scope isn't sitting cock eyed.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 pm 

Burris signature Z rings. Off-set correction inserts are available for them.
I use those rings with zero off-set inserts on my 52-C repro. It's a nice way to go without marking up the scope tube.
I've only seen them in Weaver style bases though. An adapter base would be required for air rifles....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:22 pm 

@ wesb2007 Yup, was a real head scratchier for awhile (Im slow). I forgot to mention in my earlier reply that I hogged out the opposite side of the rear ring to make more room for the scope tube as well.

Its a bit of a mess, but the thing shoots great so I'm not complaining and honestly, since I used some black paint its not that noticeable. I guess the machine operator in China did not have things squared up properly in both our cases, but I've had such great luck with my Chinese stuff that I'm not complaining.

@Doc I totally forgot about adjustable rings, thanks for reminding me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:27 pm 

Nice! Where do you buy those?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:29 pm 

Just found them on the Cabelas site for $59

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 pm 

Wow, sounds like you had a real job on your hands, great you were able to make a shooter out of it!