Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Restricted Air Guns
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:42 pm 

Just read this (below) here (bottom of link) https://thegunblog.ca/2017/03/31/sig-sa ... d-carbine/

"‘Restricted’ MPX Airgun

SIG Sauer also submitted airguns to the RCMP for classification, including models that look like the MPX, as well as the MCX rifle and P226, P320 and 1911 pistols, Jones said.

“The MPX airgun is going to be classified a ‘Restricted’ weapon,” Jones said. “It’s doubtful there’s going to be a lot of sales of that in Canada, because who’s going to buy a “Restricted” pellet gun when they can just buy a “Restricted” real gun.”

© 2017 TheGunBlog.ca"

Post subject: Re: Restricted Air Guns
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 pm 

jwg wrote:
Just read this (below) here (bottom of link) https://thegunblog.ca/2017/03/31/sig-sa ... d-carbine/

"‘Restricted’ MPX Airgun

SIG Sauer also submitted airguns to the RCMP for classification, including models that look like the MPX, as well as the MCX rifle and P226, P320 and 1911 pistols, Jones said.

“The MPX airgun is going to be classified a ‘Restricted’ weapon,” Jones said. “It’s doubtful there’s going to be a lot of sales of that in Canada, because who’s going to buy a “Restricted” pellet gun when they can just buy a “Restricted” real gun.”

© 2017 TheGunBlog.ca"

MCX rifle is over 2K CAD. So a pellet gun at 300$ people will still buy them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:19 pm 

More info here including what I was told about the classification i.e. only MPX in .22 non-classified. I asked for a re-assessment but never got a reply.

topic73355.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am 

That's so ridiculous ... so even though they do not fire over 500fps they just use what the manufacturer says?
If it in no way can fire over 500fps than it is non-restricted. Seems simple enough.

Thats like saying if a firearm was actually less than 660mm in overall length it is restricted but the manufacturer actually claims it is 670mm so they should use what they say.

RCMP has waaaay too much power determining what is and is not permitted in this country.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm 

JettaDog wrote:
That's so ridiculous ... so even though they do not fire over 500fps they just use what the manufacturer says?
If it in no way can fire over 500fps than it is non-restricted. Seems simple enough.

Thats like saying if a firearm was actually less than 660mm in overall length it is restricted but the manufacturer actually claims it is 670mm so they should use what they say.

RCMP has waaaay too much power determining what is and is not permitted in this country.

Yes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
jwg wrote:

"‘Restricted’ MPX Airgun

© 2017 TheGunBlog.ca"

I really doubt people would buy a $300 pellet gun that shoots below 500fps and that is also restricted. I don't see myself self driving to the range to due that!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:53 pm 

Daryl wrote:
JettaDog wrote:

Yes

X3. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:32 am 

jwg wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
jwg wrote:

"‘Restricted’ MPX Airgun

© 2017 TheGunBlog.ca"

I really doubt people would buy a $300 pellet gun that shoots below 500fps and that is also restricted. I don't see myself self driving to the range to due that!!!!!!!

You are exactly correct. I certainly would not. My pellet guns are house guns. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 am 

jwg wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
jwg wrote:

"‘Restricted’ MPX Airgun

© 2017 TheGunBlog.ca"

People pay 3000$ for 600 FPS match ones. Or 400$ for sub 500 FPS pistols.

They only be restricted if they're over 500 FPS.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:51 pm 

It looks like some here (above post) don't know what an RPAL is but this gun shouldn't be in that category!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 am 

jwg wrote:
It looks like some here (above post) don't know what an RPAL is but this gun shouldn't be in that category!

Mean what required to own these things?

Im well aware what a RPAL is ( Restricted ) Possession and acquisition license. Considering most of my firearms are restricted firearms, and Ive been a PAL and RPAL holder for 15 years.

HUGE problem with airgun laws, was allowing airguns to be labeled in the CC as firearms. Now it doesn't meet the requirement as a non restricted. Sig labeled it over over 500 FPS, also the barrel length for being a semi auto is under 18.5". So just those 2 things put it as restricted.

Why I was shocked some of the people were able to buy them up here. I'm thinking the amazon seller had no idea he was breaking the laws.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:31 am 

I have my RPAL, which could be the reason I got my Sig across. It was emailed to the seller and attached to the shipping papers.

Rich

Bruce Lee