Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 pm 

Hi everyone !

I saw a video of some guy lubricating his pellets. What do you think of this ? I've never seen that before. Is there any benefit ? What will that do to your barrel ?

If this IS recommended, is it only for spring and PCP rifles ? Or is also for my CO2 gun (1911 A1 umarex colt gov)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:19 pm 

I've watched a few vids on this - by both Si Pittaway and his shooting friend, Davey.

So - the first bunch I did, were 51gr. bullets for my .25 Condor - I used Ms. Moly spray, which is a bullet coating moly spray - drys very quickly & doesn't rub off onto your fingers.

I was concerned about pure lead bullets fouling my Condor's barrel.

Those shoot splendidly - at 20yards, my furthest shooting so far with that rifle. They also shot well in Gord's .25 Talon with high flow tank.

I've just cast up some more bullets, using my new 4 cavity mould - and followed Si Pittaway's method of using WD40 for lubricant. When I get around to shooting some, I'll report how they did.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:26 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I've watched a few vids on this - by both Si Pittaway and his shooting friend, Davey.

So - the first bunch I did, were 51gr. bullets for my .25 Condor - I used Ms. Moly spray, which is a bullet coating moly spray - drys very quickly & doesn't rub off onto your fingers.

I was concerned about pure lead bullets fouling my Condor's barrel.

Those shoot splendidly - at 20yards, my furthest shooting so far with that rifle. They also shot well in Gord's .25 Talon with high flow tank.

I've just cast up some more bullets, using my new 4 cavity mould - and followed Si Pittaway's method of using WD40 for lubricant. When I get around to shooting some, I'll report how they did.

Ah that's bigger caliber though, I'm using .177 and .22 pellets. Kind to think of it now that we're on the topic what about lubrifying steel BBs ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:35 pm 

Si Pittaway - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyTA3x1YV9A

Davey ------ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQXiZFyN22w

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Cool !! Thank you so much :)

You've just added another step to my weapons maintenance. I know to most people that sounds like a bad thing, but listening to music, taking care of my guns and ammunition, it's strangely soothing isn't it ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:07 pm 

I also add one more step If shooting over 50 yds weight pellets and make necessary groups that match closely.
This makes a hell of a difference when shooting long range.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm 

abslayer wrote:
I also add one more step If shooting over 50 yds weight pellets and make necessary groups that match closely.
This makes a hell of a difference when shooting long range.

Good to know. We'll talk about that in a sec.

First off I'd like to say this made a hell of a difference for me.

So for everyone in the same boat as me, here is the procedure I followed, with a few slight modifications to the videos: (noted in caps)

1) Fill up PLASTIC pyrex with warm water and a few drops of mild dish soap.

2) Emptied pellets slowly and washed them around wearing latex surgical gloves.

3) Strained pellets on RUBBER strainer by pouring water from pyrex into the strainer over and over until the soap is gone.

4) Refill pyrex with warm water, empty pellets into it and repeat steps 2 and 3.

5) Laid out pellets on paper towels, had a little fan blowing on them while I had a blowdryer on top of them all laid out level. 5 minutes, then flipped all the pellets, 5 more minutes. Then let them dry for 10 minutes by the little portable USB fan.

6) Sprayed them with WD40 (works great). Rolled them around delicately on the paper towels. Just spray by eye, you can tell how much they need. The objective is to coat them lightly

7) Left them to air dry more for 1 hour. Just in case.

8) Soaked cotton gun cleaning patch in wd40 and used it as a bottom pad for the tin. Did the same for the cap of the tin.

9) Poured pellets in tin, ready to go.

Results: (Umarex Colt 1911 A1 Gov. Using Round nose and Hollowpoint .177 Winchester)
~~~~~

- Gun shooting much smoother.
- No more jamming. Pellets were getting stuck in the rotary mag. I bet you they were dirty.
- No more misfires, 3 magazines emptied without any issues. By misfire I mean indexing issues with the rotary mag. The pellets are indirectly lubricating the area when being fired I think so it allows the mag to rotate nicely.
- Feels more powerful.
- Accuracy cannot be confirmed yet. My reticle on my scope is still too high so the gun is shooting high. When my scope is zeroed we'll see. But honestly the grouping is good. within 1". I can practically keyhole at 20 feet.

All in all I highly recommend this to anybody wondering. Those 2 videos you guys suggested were great.

Now. As for shooting on the 50 yards. What would you say would be the acceptable variation ?

From what I see I took 10 random pellets and weighed them, the average weight is 6.42 grain (with lubricant).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm 

I just looked at two of my match up tins of pellets that I have on hand one goes from18.0 gr to 18.1 gr
The other 18.2 gr to 18.3 gr.
Now say you were shooting at 65 yds and first shot was a 18.0 gr pellet and your next from a unsorted tin weight 18.5 and I have found some as high as 18.6
That 18.5 would hit at this range about 3/4" to a inch lower than the first 18.0 gr.

Now at 30 yds not much of a difference in impact area however as I said when targets get out there you will see a problem.
I am a fussy kind of guy and when I do everything right in my shot I want all my pellets to hit what I aim at.
That is why I go to a lot of work and weight them all before shooting.
I order in 6 tins at once and go through them all and match up weight as close as possible after they have all been washed and lubed.
It takes a lot of time but to me well worth it , may not be to others :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:07 pm 

abslayer wrote:
I just looked at two of my match up tins of pellets that I have on hand one goes from18.0 gr to 18.1 gr
The other 18.2 gr to 18.3 gr.
Now say you were shooting at 65 yds and first shot was a 18.0 gr pellet and your next from a unsorted tin weight 18.5 and I have found some as high as 18.6
That 18.5 would hit at this range about 3/4" to a inch lower than the first 18.0 gr.

Now at 30 yds not much of a difference in impact area however as I said when targets get out there you will see a problem.
I am a fussy kind of guy and when I do everything right in my shot I want all my pellets to hit what I aim at.
That is why I go to a lot of work and weight them all before shooting.
I order in 6 tins at once and go through them all and match up weight as close as possible after they have all been washed and lubed.
It takes a lot of time but to me well worth it , may not be to others :wink:

Nono I'm super meticulous too I'm a perfectionist :P Please continue.

So it seems the best way to go about it is to unfortunately weigh ALL of them out in the tin and sort them by groups within .2 grain variation max.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm 

Quote Nono I'm super meticulous too I'm a perfectionist :P Please continue.

So it seems the best way to go about it is to unfortunately weigh ALL of them out in the tin and sort them by groups within .2 grain variation max.

AB I try to keep them about .2 gr apart I will keep one in a group that is say over .5 in the said group.
I do keep tin that are all the same weight for long range target shooting up to 80 to 100 yds however not to many pellets come in RIGHT at same weight.

Bare in mind start out with top quality pellets in the first place and to me that is JSB all the way.

Here is a example using front rest only can get them groups smaller with a rear rest also .22 AA s510

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm 

abslayer wrote:
Quote Nono I'm super meticulous too I'm a perfectionist :P Please continue.

AB I try to keep them about .2 gr apart I will keep one in a group that is say over .5 in the said group.
I do keep tin that are all the same weight for long range target shooting up to 80 to 100 yds however not to many pellets come in RIGHT at same weight.

Bare in mind start out with top quality pellets in the first place and to me that is JSB all the way.

Here is a example using front rest only can get them groups smaller with a rear rest also .22 AA s510

Wow 70 yards watcha shootin ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm 

AA S510 .22 cal ((Regulated ))

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:53 pm 

Impressive - abslayer & what a nice shot string.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm 

abslayer wrote:
AA S510 .22 cal ((Regulated ))

Fantastic. I'm learning a lot from you guys I'm definately going to download that spreadsheet when I find a consistent place to shoot. So far i just have the gunrange which is pricey (30$ a session.. 70$ for the month but I'd still have to take a taxi there every time which is like 40$)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 am 

WOW- guys here complain about $125.00 for a year's membership, which gives them $3,000,000.00 liability insurance when out shooting or fishing.
Section Directors, get $5,000,000.00 insurance.

We offer:

Air rifle - outdoors and indoors 10m target, silhouette and bench rest - 10m, and silhouette winter months, Oct. through March/Apr. depending on weather
Rimfire - outdoors only - silhouette and benchrest & plinking
General rifle, centre fire, 25 through 200 meters in-town range, 25 to 1,100 meters out of town range
Centre Fire Silhouette - to 200, 300, 385 and 500 meters
New this year - Lever-Action Rim Fire Rifle Silhouette
New this year - Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Centre Fire Rifle Silhouette
New this year - Rifle Cartridge Lever Action Centre Fire Rifle Silhouette
3-Gun Competition
General handgun - centre fire and rimfire
Cowboy Action
IDPA
IPSC
Trap
Sporting Clays
One New Member asked if he could build us a Skeet Range