Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 pm 

So I went to the dark side 2 years ago, bought a discovery. Good gun, very pellet fussy. I made a RVA and changed the hammer spring, it has made +29 foot pounds. But it is so pellet fussy.
I went through so many pellets, then I tried a second tin of jsb jumbo heavy diabolo and viola! One hole! Over and over! So I ordered 3 big tins, now they won't preform. :( . All that being said, what do you all think the best money spent on a PCP is? I like my disco but am getting the itch again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 pm 

hw77grey wrote:
So I went to the dark side 2 years ago, bought a discovery. Good gun, very pellet fussy. I made a RVA and changed the hammer spring, it has made +29 foot pounds. But it is so pellet fussy.
I went through so many pellets, then I tried a second tin of jsb jumbo heavy diabolo and viola! One hole! Over and over! So I ordered 3 big tins, now they won't preform. :( . All that being said, what do you all think the best money spent on a PCP is? I like my disco but am getting the itch again.

If accuracy is suffering, clean the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
hw77grey wrote:

Cleaned. What do you think is the best deal going on a new PCP?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm 

hw77grey wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
hw77grey wrote:

Cleaned. What do you think is the best deal going on a new PCP?

Maximus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:50 am 

What do you mean by "best deal"? as that is quite a subjective term among shooters, I would say your "best money spent" is money spent on something that will remain consistent and reliable through-out its life. The Maximus is definitely cheap to buy, because it is cheaply made, myself and many others have experienced leaks right out of the box as well as other QC related issues. Not to mention it is extremely petite and feels as though it could fall apart at any minute, just my experience YMMV

I would say your best bet (long term) is to buy a gun that will still be shooting as good in 5yrs as it was the day you received it. I have/do own tuned cheap guns and high quality stuff, by the time you fully tune a cheap gun, whether all at once, or piece by piece, you will potentially end up sinking the same amount of money into it. I was pricing out all the parts to tune up another 1377 the same as my 1377 PFT gun that I built a couple years ago and you can easily sink $600 into a 1377 plus the cost of the gun...Or you can buy something like an AA Alpha Project for another $150. That being said, I would put my tuned 1377 up against any PFT gun, but at the end of the day it is still a cheap gun with way more variables requiring more maintenance and being less reliable. Age old argument seen in many sports/hobby's, but over the years I have seen the best results from the "buy once, cry once" approach, but it also depends on how much you use the gun and what your intentions/requirements/financial constraints are. By what you have written in your original post, I get the impression you are seeing the inconsistencies/problems that usually come along with lower end gear.

Anyway, my number one PCP recommendation is almost always a S400/S410/S500/S510, I have owned 4 different variants of these rifles for about 6-7 years now and they are simply top shelf, the sort of equipment that you can hand down to your children with the kind of accuracy that puts the blame of missing solely on my shoulders :lol: Those who are familiar with these guns know what I am talking about and if you have the chance to try one out; do it!!! you will not be disappointed...In a nutshell; you buy one of these and you won't need to buy another gun, unless you tell yourself you do!!! :)
http://www.airgunsource.com/air-arms-s5 ... ck/dp/1638

This is also a screaming deal on a great quality gun, the scope is "so-so", but for free with that rifle? its pretty hard to argue with...
FX T12 Walnut .177 Cal w/ Free Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO Scope
http://www.airgunsource.com/fx-t12-waln ... pe/dp/1477

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:02 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:
What do you mean by "best deal"? as that is quite a subjective term among shooters, I would say your "best money spent" is money spent on something that will remain consistent and reliable through-out its life. The Maximus is definitely cheap to buy, because it is cheaply made, myself and many others have experienced leaks right out of the box as well as other QC related issues. Not to mention it is extremely petite and feels as though it could fall apart at any minute, just my experience YMMV

I would say your best bet (long term) is to buy a gun that will still be shooting as good in 5yrs as it was the day you received it. I have/do own tuned cheap guns and high quality stuff, by the time you fully tune a cheap gun, whether all at once, or piece by piece, you will potentially end up sinking the same amount of money into it. I was pricing out all the parts to tune up another 1377 the same as my 1377 PFT gun that I built a couple years ago and you can easily sink $600 into a 1377 plus the cost of the gun...Or you can buy something like an AA Alpha Project for another $150. That being said, I would put my tuned 1377 up against any PFT gun, but at the end of the day it is still a cheap gun with way more variables requiring more maintenance and being less reliable. Age old argument seen in many sports/hobby's, but over the years I have seen the best results from the "buy once, cry once" approach, but it also depends on how much you use the gun and what your intentions/requirements/financial constraints are. By what you have written in your original post, I get the impression you are seeing the inconsistencies/problems that usually come along with lower end gear.

Anyway, my number one PCP recommendation is almost always a S400/S410/S500/S510, I have owned 4 different variants of these rifles for about 6-7 years now and they are simply top shelf, the sort of equipment that you can hand down to your children with the kind of accuracy that puts the blame of missing solely on my shoulders :lol: Those who are familiar with these guns know what I am talking about and if you have the chance to try one out; do it!!! you will not be disappointed...In a nutshell; you buy one of these and you won't need to buy another gun, unless you tell yourself you do!!! :)

This is also a screaming deal on a great quality gun, the scope is "so-so", but for free with that rifle? its pretty hard to argue with...

You were reading me right. You get what you pay for for sure but there is always one or two up and comers ( or brands that never got recognized)that have all the quality with less of a price tag. There is no question Air Arms and FX are top shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 am 

2x on the S410... I own one. It will stay in my collection. ;-)

jgoodz420 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:06 pm 

hw77grey wrote:
So I went to the dark side 2 years ago...

Won't you need to change your username...? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:16 pm 

To be blunt you can't expect a donkey to out preform a race horse
Just pulling your chain :wink: :o
For the money AA and FX / Daystate but so dam expensive
My AA s510 shoots just great it has a LW barrel on it and will print dime size groups all day at 50 yds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm 

How about this one, seen some good reviews on it, nice price, but I have never seen one or shot one myself Image

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:58 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:

I've got a new S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter Carbine in .22 on its way to me as I type this!!! I've been SO HAPPY with my S400 MPR FT in .177 that when I wanted a higher power .22, I didn't really consider anything other than Air Arms. And the Carbine in that model is apparently a Canadian-only special. According to the Air Arms web site as well as the AA user's forum, this gun does not exist as a carbine... at least not in the Xtra FAC power version. And a friend is about to buy the S510 Superlite Carbine also in Xtra FAC.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:43 am 

Mtl_Biker wrote:
I've got a new S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter Carbine in .22 on its way to me as I type this!!! I've been SO HAPPY with my S400 MPR FT in .177 that when I wanted a higher power .22, I didn't really consider anything other than Air Arms. And the Carbine in that model is apparently a Canadian-only special. According to the Air Arms web site as well as the AA user's forum, this gun does not exist as a carbine... at least not in the Xtra FAC power version. And a friend is about to buy the S510 Superlite Carbine also in Xtra FAC.

Very nice!!! I am sure you will be impressed with the new gun, I have a Limited Edition .22cal S510 Xtra FAC and it is a laser beam and so is my .22cal S400 Carbine. To be honest, every single AA I own shoots great, which is why I bought so many. The first AA I bought was exactly what I read about and easily worth the price, when I pickup an AA I know exactly what to expect and I know I am the weakest link in the equation, to me that is money well spent lol

Also; its hard to put a price on watching a well placed pellet cause a fly to explode at 37yds :lol: