Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Crosman Optimus 0.177
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 am 

I'm about to buy the Crosman Optimus 0.177 and I was wondering, is there any way to make the 495 FPS version shoot like the 1200 FPS version of the gun without spending $70 dollars on the cleaning/care package with the 1200 spring

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 am 

Hi - welcome to the CAF!

One question - do you have your PAL?

If not; what you propose would be very illegal.

If so - why not just buy the PAL rated one?

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 am 

rickyhsu6 wrote:
I'm about to buy the Crosman Optimus 0.177 and I was wondering, is there any way to make the 495 FPS version shoot like the 1200 FPS version of the gun without spending $70 dollars on the cleaning/care package with the 1200 spring

Shop around, like local gun shop selling PAL rated Vantage NPs for 149. You pay about that much just for a non PAL rated version. Then the piston or the spring, after taxes and shipping.

Look at the Ruger Airhawk @ walmart. Its a much better gun then the Vantage/Optimus, and its only 99 + taxes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 am 

rickyhsu6 wrote:

No and yes depending on how your Optimus has been detuned for Canada.

There is a thread here somewhere (search) that details 3 different methods. If you have the correct full power piston that allows a full stroke, and doesn't have a bleed hole, then a 20 buck spring will do what you want.

I found my Optimus to be pretty harsh / violent at full power. Its a light gun and one of Crosmans better looking ones in my opinion. Other than the baby poop brown finish.

I tried a Nitro Piston in mine, but that was also teeth jarring, so since I had already done the conversion I put a low power gas ram in it. Shoots like a dream now.

Since I only hunt paper, 1000fps doesn't do much for me anymore, but for longer distances or hunting then it's much better.

I don't have a chronograph but based on duct seal penetration it shoots about like all my other sub PAL rifles.

By the way, unless you enjoy tinkering around, it is always cheaper in the long run to buy what you really want initially, PAL rated for example, unless of course you plan on getting your PAL later but want the rifle now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:15 am 
Site Moderator

My 495fps .177cal Optimus has the 170mm piston (with no vent hole) rather than the 150mm for the full power version. The mainspring was a skinny .098" wire thickness. Installing a full power spring brought the rifle to approx 750fps with 7.9gr pellets. I ended up detuning it to around 630ps. It's sweet to shoot.

My full power .177cal Optimus was doing approx 960fps with 7.9gr but I detuned it to 800fps for more shooting pleasure.

post506646.html#p506646

topic75123.html

If you want a full power Optimus you can buy one for $200 (ship included) from Cabelas. Eric at scopesandammo.com has a great deal right now on the full power.177cal Crosman Vantage for $110. You couldn't convert a detuned to full power for that price. The Vantage is an Optimus with a slightly different wood stock contour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm 

Seeing in a thread that your under 18, so safe to assume you do not have your PAL. AKA firearms license, Doing any mods that pushes the FPS over 500 FPS is illegal. You get caught, can goto jail.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:23 am 

Hey Ricky, It looks like you're just under the limit to possess and acquire a firearm which anything over 500 fps is. You could sit on the idea for a year or take other steps. Here's a link to some things you can do while under the legal age limit. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ur-eng.htm