Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Carrying CO2 Guns
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

Hi, I recently got an SA P1911 and I was wondering if it is legal to have in public areas such as parks. If it is not legal, what are the consequences of having one if the police were called and found it?
EDIT: I'm under 18

Post subject: Re: Carrying CO2 Guns
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm 

It's not legal, there are several charges that could be laid, and the consequence is jail.

Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 pm 

Worst case is getting shot. Because you got a gun they may think is real.

Also should look at city bylaws. A lot don't allow you discharge airguns in city limits, esp parks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:36 am 

Please don't even consider bringing your new toy out into public spaces. Here are some incidents that resulted from kids playing with replica firearms in the open.

http://www.news1130.com/2017/04/05/teen ... bbotsford/
http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.actio ... ntId=50127
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2945448
http://www.coastreporter.net/news/local ... n-1.996539
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surrey-f ... ruary-2017
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... -real-guns
https://amp.kelownanow.com/watercooler/ ... couver_Bus
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/362963551.html

There is no need for anyone to be walking around with a replica handgun, and at best you might be stopped and weapon confiscated, and at worst you might get shot dead by the police.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 am 

X2 all of the above. Everyone will assume you are a bad guy first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:24 am 

When I lived in Halifax. Police swatted 2 teens trying to sell a Airsoft in a public parking lot. Also was a guy walking around with a uzi and L96 airsoft that ended up getting the police called. Also 2 more airgun related charges.

Also if you try to carry it in your pocket its considered concealed. If you plan to transport your airguns put it in a locked case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 am 

Would be best to direct such questions toward the police department that would be responding.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48 am 

Ricky- read this:

|Surrey RCMP are reminding residents about the dangers of realistic-looking fake guns, after an increase in the number seen in the community.

“These air guns can be so realistic that police cannot tell if the weapon is a firearm without actually examining it close up,” said Surrey RCMP Cpl. Scotty Schumann in a release. “This is a safety concern for both police and the general public.”

Surrey RCMP’s Youth Section has seen a recent trend in youth being irresponsible with pellet or BB guns. This includes incidents where youth have circulated videos of themselves appearing to be armed, resulting in police attendance to ensure community safety, only to find out the guns were in fact, fake."

Taking an air pistol ANYWHERE where there are ANY OTHER people is irresponsible behavior, in light of world terrorism today.

If CAUGHT with an air gun by police, due to your being under 18 & depending on how you were 'carrying it', (you will lose it- first of all- in any case), then if charged due to HOW or what you were doing with it, be tried in Juvenile Court. Due perhaps due to a previous "juvenile record", you could be raised to adult court and receive time in an adult facility, even though you are a juvy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am 

THIS should show that sometimes, the end result is fatal - no speculation on what could possibly happen. IT happens.

"But for some criminals, that appearance is the draw, MacDonald said, suggesting that by brandishing a BB or pellet gun, criminals seem to hope to avoid the full brunt of the law if caught by police.

“They want people to believe it’s real,” he said. “They think they will escape through a loophole if they end up being searched,” he said.

In 2010, a year after an Ottawa officer shot and killed a man holding a replica gun, the Ottawa Police Services Board asked the federal government to regulate such pistols under the Firearms Act, a proposal initiated by the Canada Safety Council. The council pointed to three incidents between 2006 and 2010 in which people were killed by police while holding replica guns during confrontations."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm 

I sometimes wonder whether these types of questions are real, or just posted to wind people up...honestly, who in their right mind would parade around in public with a replica pistol in this day and age?

Great way to commit suicide I suppose, if you dont have the stones to do it yourself. James Forcillo isn't the only one out there...draw your own conclusions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm 

Someone on a fishing expedition?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:22 pm 

rickyhsu6 wrote:
I'm about to buy the Crosman Optimus 0.177 and I was wondering, is there any way to make the 495 FPS version shoot like the 1200 FPS version of the gun without spending $70 dollars on the cleaning/care package with the 1200 spring

:?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm 

rickyhsu6 wrote:
Hi, I recently got an SA P1911 and I was wondering if it is legal to have in public areas such as parks. If it is not legal, what are the consequences of having one if the police were called and found it?
EDIT: I'm under 18

When I was your age we use to.... j/k. Don't bring that thing out in public places ..ie parks playgrounds etc!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:15 pm 

sillymike wrote:

I have no idea what this has got to do with anything but in any case, it is just excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm 

DDtank wrote:
sillymike wrote:

I have no idea what this has got to do with anything but in any case, it is just excellent.

Paranoid. Tinfoil keeps the MAN from reading your mind and controlling you.