Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 am 

Have not shot pellet guns since a kid. My Marla quit shooting for years. Because of this forum I got bored so I dismantled it the past few days and cleaned it out. Cleaned, Oiled (who ever knew pellet guns needed oiled) and greased the spring. No new parts. It went from not very much to 542.7 FPS. WOW shot a whole bunch of times to make sure it was not my crono under the lights. And yes I have a gun licence. Wish I would have cronoed it before I tore it apart. Wont make that mistake again. I think I am going to fit right in with you crazy folks. LOL CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm 

Oil burns in a springers, giving 50~100% more energy. And killing the gun. :twisted:
Check if there is a thin smoke in a barrel after the shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:24 pm 

If the speed is from Dieseling, the seal will not last long - probably.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:27 pm 

Can goto best buy and get 30 W shock oil for a RC cars, for like 3$. Its 100% pure silicone. So it shouldn't diesel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm 

I used gun oil. That's all I had. I did go to automotive store for silicone oil and they had none. Said they can not even get it. Ordered some RC 30 weight shock oil. Dam now I need a PAL rated pellet gun because it shot so good at fast speed. yes smoke out the barrel.

May have to put a little propane in their and see what speed I get. My potato cannon flies. No hair spray or brake cleaner when you own a gas company. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
Its 100% pure silicone

Silicone oil is one of the WORST for lubrication - it going to damage the gun by a raw friction. It happened many times...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:56 am 

Took about 60 shots and speed is still 550ish. No smell of oil and no sign of smoke. Only on the first couple shots, smoke and smell and loud pop. Gun is quiet and hardly any spring jolt compared to my Beeman. Think I may order a Ruger Air Hawk in 495 then I can get a kit later if I want to speed it up.

Would this be a better choice?

http://www.airgunsource.com/webley-and- ... 29/dp/1552

or

http://www.airgunsource.com/diana-model ... 29/dp/1563

Thanks for advice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:03 am 

ShurikMur wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Its 100% pure silicone

Silicone oil is one of the WORST for lubrication - it going to damage the gun by a raw friction. It happened many times...

OH are you guys talking about the seal or the metal which are you saying its not good for...................Is well known its not for metal so that must be for the seal rubber leather ??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Took about 60 shots and speed is still 550ish. No smell of oil and no sign of smo...

Even with no visible smoke there is still can be a dieseling. And the process can go forever - 60 shots is definitely not enough to burn through all the excessive oil. Esp. if the spring was oiled too - it is slowly transferring that "fuel" on a walls of a cylinder and eventually in a working space in front of a piston.

lauchlin wrote:
Is well known its not for metal so that must be for the seal rubber leather ??

Silicone is proven bad for any moving parts. It easily destroys plastic parts and movable seals too (f.e. ask nerf mod community and how many plastic blasters where killed after using a silicone). OK only for static seals, like o-rings in a PCP tube.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 am 

ShurikMur wrote:
leadslinger wrote:
Its 100% pure silicone

Crosman Chamber oil is silicone. Im not talking metal to metal lubrication, I'm talking about seal to metal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:02 am 

Seal can be improved with almost any liquid c*ap. Even with a water. Girardony rifles used wet leather in a main valve and probably in a pump. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:08 am 

Firstly, I will agree with the thread title but will also add that there are a few crazy people on here and part of the sport is recognizing them and not feeding them.

Secondly. it is well known that silicone oil and grease are not suitable for metal/metal contact but can be used for plastic/metal and plastic/plastic contact. Silicone flows too easily and promotes galling in metal/metal situations.

Thirdly, synthetic (plastic) piston seals do not need to be lubricated - although many of us are conditioned to lubricate moving parts and are driven to lubricate the compression chamber in springers. Some of this is throwback to leather piston seals that did require a good soaking in fat and grease to allow them to swell and maintain seal, and the combustion of the organics gave a bit of added power. So, one solution to this tendency for us to lubricate is to market and promote silicone combustion chamber oil. Since it won't cause galling of the synthetic seal on the metal combustion chamber and it wont burn and cause detonation or desiling during the shot cycle it is more or less safe to use in the combustion chamber. However, it is generally unnecessary unless there is an annoying squeak coming from the synthetic seal during cocking (you wont hear the squeak during the shot part of the cycle). Bottom line is don't put combustibles in the compression chamber (or down your barrel for that matter) and don't use silicone on metal/metal contacts.

HIH :drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:22 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
but can be used for plastic/metal

- That is how I trashed a brand-new piston sealing in 46M in less than 500 shots... :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 pm 

ShurikMur wrote:
wheeliehd wrote:
Took about 60 shots and speed is still 550ish. No smell of oil and no sign of smo...

Even with no visible smoke there is still can be a dieseling. And the process can go forever - 60 shots is definitely not enough to burn through all the excessive oil. Esp. if the spring was oiled too - it is slowly transferring that "fuel" on a walls of a cylinder and eventually in a working space in front of a piston.

lauchlin wrote:
Is well known its not for metal so that must be for the seal rubber leather ??

Silicone is proven bad for any moving parts. It easily destroys plastic parts and movable seals too (f.e. ask nerf mod community and how many plastic blasters where killed after using a silicone). OK only for static seals, like o-rings in a PCP tube.

Well some were on this forum log time back i bought a phantom to test what silicone oil would do to a springier and dumped silicone oil till it dripped out the barrel for weeks every day gun still works fine never did a dam thing to that gun that said i would not recommend doing what i did i just wanted to see what it would do ............

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 pm 

ShurikMur wrote:
Dukemeister wrote:
but can be used for plastic/metal

- That is how I trashed a brand-new piston sealing in 46M in less than 500 shots... :)

Then why does crosman recommend their silicone chamber oil for their break barrel guns?

Sounds like you use the wrong oil for what was recommended for that gun.