Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: FX Streamline Review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:49 pm 

Due to requests, I'm posting a review of my relatively new FX Streamline. It is in .22 with a laminate stock.

I received the rifle just over a month ago, but it had issues holding air. Sent it back to AGS, and they had it back to me within a couple of weeks holding air just fine. I also purchased the single shot tray with it.

The magazine is decent, and holds 11 rounds. It is slightly smaller than the standard 12 shot, in order to allow for lower mounts. I have used medium height rings, and I can just squeeze the magazine under the scope at that height, which is quite nice. The low weight is one of its shining features. Weighing in well under 6 lbs, it's so easy to carry around. The stock coating is really nice to the touch, and makes it a great rifle to haul around on longer ventures.

I brought it out to the range, and got her zeroed in at 40 yards:

The top 3" target shows my first ever group of 5 shots with the gun. My first 4 were the cluster on the right side. My last shot I subconsciously pulled left to go for a bulls eye. I could feel myself doing it, and just couldn't help myself. In any case, the first 4 shots were right close to 1/4" CTC. Very good accuracy for 40 yards. I would imagine that it will just improve from here on in.

I took it out to a farm for the long weekend where we took a few sighters, and then walked around looking for gophers. No gophers to be seen due to the unusually cold winter, but a pigeon met his demise with ease at 35 yards, resting on a fence post. Just about shot a second out of the air when people were goading me on. I watched the pigeon hit the brakes hard and change direction, as the pellet came so close to his beak he probably could've smelled it.

My third trip to Mission for a FT shoot was yet another success. I had the chance to run it over the chrony, and tested out both the 15.9 gr and 18.1 gr JSB Jumbos. With the 15.9 gr, It was shooting at 910 FPS on high setting, 710 fps on medium setting, and 505 fps on low setting. Shot count on high filling from 220 bar (10 bar below max) yielded 50 shots on average before requiring a refill at 135 bar, where I suspect the regulator is set. On medium setting, the shot count was 90-100. I didn't shoot on low other than to test over the chrony and get an idea of how loud it would be.

Zeroed at 40 yards on high setting, I went and tested out the POI on medium. Turns out it was hitting dead on from 10 yards to about 25 yards, then requiring overhold past that range. Medium setting is right around 18 FPE, which is great for FT with the 20 FPE max. I scored a 36 out of 40 on my first run, using 15.9 gr pellets, and an illegal chair / position that I like to call the "La-Z-Boy". One of my shots was way off, from what I believe was a bent skirt, it pulled right and had trouble loading. Could've been 37!

I then went on to check how the 18.1 gr heavies shot. Shooting at around 54 yards, I was shocked to see that the POI didn't really move at all. I finally got the scope really dialed in, and that's where I really saw the Smooth-Twist barrel shine. I couldn't notice any difference in accuracy between the 15.9 gr and the 18.1 gr. We were knocking a spend shotgun shell up and down a hill at 50 - 57 yards, and it was a gimme.

The trigger on the rifle is just fantastic. The adjustable blade is so comfortable on the trigger finger, and the first stage is nice and light. The second stage feels around half a pound, and can be felt very easily. A little pressure when you feel it, and it breaks like glass.

The only negative thing I've noticed at all, is I occasionally get a pellet that needs to be pushed in hard. The lever action is normally so smooth that you can't feel anything at all. When I have a tough pellet, it has caused fliers. I think this may be dented pellets, though, and has been a rarity. I'll have to do a better job of inspecting prior to shooting.

I'm very happy with the rifle. For the $1,150 it costs, I don't think there are any competitors that can boast all of the features. Regulated, adjustable and repeatable power (3 settings on the power wheel click into place with authority), lightweight, very high end accuracy, match grade trigger, efficient... It is basically my dream rifle, I have no other wants.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

Post subject: Re: FX Streamline Review
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:16 am 

Great review Mike!! How's the sound report of your unit in low, mid and high power? I'm thinking of putting a shroud once I get mine just for the looks of it but if it shoots the way you report it, I don't think it would be necessary. Great shooting as well!

Barfman wrote:
Due to requests, I'm posting a review of my relatively new FX Streamline. It is in .22 with a laminate stock.

I received the rifle just over a month ago, but it had issues holding air. Sent it back to AGS, and they had it back to me within a couple of weeks holding air just fine. I also purchased the single shot tray with it.

The magazine is decent, and holds 11 rounds. It is slightly smaller than the standard 12 shot, in order to allow for lower mounts. I have used medium height rings, and I can just squeeze the magazine under the scope at that height, which is quite nice. The low weight is one of its shining features. Weighing in well under 6 lbs, it's so easy to carry around. The stock coating is really nice to the touch, and makes it a great rifle to haul around on longer ventures.

I brought it out to the range, and got her zeroed in at 40 yards:

The top 3" target shows my first ever group of 5 shots with the gun. My first 4 were the cluster on the right side. My last shot I subconsciously pulled left to go for a bulls eye. I could feel myself doing it, and just couldn't help myself. In any case, the first 4 shots were right close to 1/4" CTC. Very good accuracy for 40 yards. I would imagine that it will just improve from here on in.

I took it out to a farm for the long weekend where we took a few sighters, and then walked around looking for gophers. No gophers to be seen due to the unusually cold winter, but a pigeon met his demise with ease at 35 yards, resting on a fence post. Just about shot a second out of the air when people were goading me on. I watched the pigeon hit the brakes hard and change direction, as the pellet came so close to his beak he probably could've smelled it.

My third trip to Mission for a FT shoot was yet another success. I had the chance to run it over the chrony, and tested out both the 15.9 gr and 18.1 gr JSB Jumbos. With the 15.9 gr, It was shooting at 910 FPS on high setting, 710 fps on medium setting, and 505 fps on low setting. Shot count on high filling from 220 bar (10 bar below max) yielded 50 shots on average before requiring a refill at 135 bar, where I suspect the regulator is set. On medium setting, the shot count was 90-100. I didn't shoot on low other than to test over the chrony and get an idea of how loud it would be.

Zeroed at 40 yards on high setting, I went and tested out the POI on medium. Turns out it was hitting dead on from 10 yards to about 25 yards, then requiring overhold past that range. Medium setting is right around 18 FPE, which is great for FT with the 20 FPE max. I scored a 36 out of 40 on my first run, using 15.9 gr pellets, and an illegal chair / position that I like to call the "La-Z-Boy". One of my shots was way off, from what I believe was a bent skirt, it pulled right and had trouble loading. Could've been 37!

I then went on to check how the 18.1 gr heavies shot. Shooting at around 54 yards, I was shocked to see that the POI didn't really move at all. I finally got the scope really dialed in, and that's where I really saw the Smooth-Twist barrel shine. I couldn't notice any difference in accuracy between the 15.9 gr and the 18.1 gr. We were knocking a spend shotgun shell up and down a hill at 50 - 57 yards, and it was a gimme.

The trigger on the rifle is just fantastic. The adjustable blade is so comfortable on the trigger finger, and the first stage is nice and light. The second stage feels around half a pound, and can be felt very easily. A little pressure when you feel it, and it breaks like glass.

The only negative thing I've noticed at all, is I occasionally get a pellet that needs to be pushed in hard. The lever action is normally so smooth that you can't feel anything at all. When I have a tough pellet, it has caused fliers. I think this may be dented pellets, though, and has been a rarity. I'll have to do a better job of inspecting prior to shooting.

I'm very happy with the rifle. For the $1,150 it costs, I don't think there are any competitors that can boast all of the features. Regulated, adjustable and repeatable power (3 settings on the power wheel click into place with authority), lightweight, very high end accuracy, match grade trigger, efficient... It is basically my dream rifle, I have no other wants.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:29 pm 

Great review and thanks for taking the time to prepare it, Mike. Was wondering if you have some chrony graphs to share? Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm 

Thanks!

On the sound levels, when I first took some shots I found it louder than expected given its great efficiency. It was then recommended that I remove the very nice looking muzzle brake that it came with, and that helped significantly. The noise being directed back contributed greatly to the sound the shooter experiences. With just a thread protector on, it was significantly quieter than any other PCPs that I've experienced at those power levels. At low setting, it would be pretty much backyard friendly, at high setting it's just less of a sharp noise that it puts out. The shroud would certainly help, and it would probably become backyard friendly at mid power with it.

Unfortunately no chrony graphs yet. The only appropriate time that I had to do some chrony work, the weather was too miserable to get any readings. Hopefully I can get some chrony data in the coming months, after the gun is broken in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 am 

Nice write-up!

Is that ranging at 15-25 yds with the the heavy?

I'm usually dialled in for 12 M with the pcp'd A/R~ and at about 20 yds the heavies start to rise. Back to dead on again at 25- this at low 7's where the unregulated gun is tuned for. That trajectory isn't as irritating as I thought it would be- at least I'm prepared for it. Rise isn't a lot on paper- seems to be 1 1/2" at most....
Also a fan of the 12 ga hulls as a reactive target. The heavies will knock out the spent primers with a dead center hit at 700 fps. :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Nice write-up!

Is that ranging at 15-25 yds with the the heavy?

I'm usually dialled in for 12 M with the pcp'd A/R~ and at about 20 yds the heavies start to rise. Back to dead on again at 25- this at low 7's where the unregulated gun is tuned for. That trajectory isn't as irritating as I thought it would be- at least I'm prepared for it. Rise isn't a lot on paper- seems to be 1 1/2" at most....
Also a fan of the 12 ga hulls as a reactive target. The heavies will knock out the spent primers with a dead center hit at 700 fps. :mrgreen:

-D.S.

That was actually with the 15.9 gr JSBs, but it would make sense as it is shooting in the low 700s as well. Alot of it depends on the scope's distance over the barrel, but ours are probably comparable. The underhold between just seemed so minimal that I didn't really worry about it, unless I was shooting at one of the 3/8" holes. That took some serious calculation, but even then, I was aiming under by maybe 1/4".

I just love this scope setup because it matches my high power setting so nicely, with high power at 50 yards now, and mid power at 25. All without messing with the turrets. Makes perfect sense for me as I generally hunt for small game at longer distances, and love to shoot FT matches. All it takes is a quick turn of the wheel! I was very happy to see that changing the power setting did not change the horizontal POI in any noticeable way.