Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: unboxing a Savage A22
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 am 

Savage A22 .22LR semi-automatic.

instruction manual, trigger adjusting tool, security lock and 10 round rotary magazine

added a sling and temporarily put a 4-12x40 Adjustable Objective scope on it

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm 

Interesting and probably a good buy. Do that have anything over 10 round magazines for them?

Savage came out with a semi-auto .17HMR - that would be fun, but expensive to run.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:02 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Interesting and probably a good buy. Do that have anything over 10 round magazines for them?

Savage came out with a semi-auto .17HMR - that would be fun, but expensive to run.

offered in three polymer stock versions: A17 MSRP $473 USD, A22 Magnum MSRP $473 USD , A22 LR MSRP $281 USD plus some laminate versions for more $

25 round mags are/will be available in collaboration with Butler Creek

picked up the A22 LR for $215 USD + $20 FFL transfer fee

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Right you are, Daryl - on both counts. Bought the second version for about $550 (don't remember where). A laser at 100 yards, as fast as you can squeeze the trigger. Don't require the A-17 ammo - standard CCI .17 ammo works just fine. The "laser" is just a little bit sharper with the ammo branded for the gun. Never been a shortage at my range, but the Cabelas, Wholesale Sports chains just don't seem a bit dedicated to keeping it in stock.

I'm still sitting on 200 rounds ($80) waiting for my first spring opportunity. Any local permission-holders need a hand?

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 am 

I've got just over 2,000 rounds of .17HMR stockpiled as we've given the rats a reprieve for several years. I did pick up some A-17's to test in both my bold and falling block .17HMR rifles - should be fun/interesting!

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:14 am 

I was thinking of getting a 17 HMR, only because 100M is max range for my area and well probably cheaper then 223/308.

But doubt the wife will let me. Since I just bought a mossberg 46B-A and a 151M-C

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:30 pm 

I currently have 2 HMR's - 3 if you count the Savage HMR action in the lock-up from which I removed the barrel. The best it would shoot was 1" at 100 meters -- not good enough. We shoot field rats to 200yards, so groups at that range must be no larger than 1 1/2". A good Marlin will do this - the ones we currently use, will do exactly that or better, usually. My martini is ever better but has 9" twist GM barrel on it. At one point, I thought I'd put on a piece of .224 barrel with 14" twist and chamber it for the .22 WMR as I have the reamer.
So- for accurate shooting at 100 meters, I suggest the steel, heavy barrel Marlin, not the stainless version.
I did sight in the ranchers fancy laminated stock Savage .17HMR - which also was only a moa rifle with both 17gr. and 20gr. bullets. For the $550.00 he paid for it, it is was a poor value, accuracy wise.
Another nice thing about the Marlins, is the 7 round magazines, rather than the Savage magazines that won't work with more than 5 rounds in them.

Savage .22's are usually really good accuracy wise,once you find their preference in ammo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm 

I picked up an A22 in April. It's been great to me. I've put about 1000 rounds through it so far and I've had a total of 3 ftf with Federal auto match, everything else has cycled flawlessly (cci mini mag, cci AR tactical, Federal 40g cp solid, Federal 40g solid, American Eagle 40g solid, Winchester super x 40g solid).

In spot and stalk hunting conditions I'm good to about 50 yards and with Federal SV 40g solids, I'm good to go.

10 shots @ 50 yards Image

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk