Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm 

I wen;t to bass pro in st. Catharines the other day to buy pellets. while I was waiting for the salesman he was busy showing 2 guys these mares legs. I asked him if I could take a look at it too. the one with the gold on it. man what a beautiful little gun. it was about a $1000.00 bucks. the other smaller one is a .22. it was pretty decent too. they probably aren't too practical for anything but they sure are cool. I told him if I had my liscence I would've bought it on the spot.

Attachments:
untitled.png
untitled.png [ 117.53 KiB | Viewed 2280 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm 

It's time to get your license Pete. It'll open up a whole new world and give you more options and choices. Not good on the wallet though! :wink:

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 pm 

Other than it being a short firearm, I don't see the appeal. Can't shoulder one properly for accurate shooting and can't two hand hold one for accurate shooting either. I could see having a full size stock and short barrel but then you're adding to the cost.
I'll just wait until I can get the Henry 45-70 and enjoy life :)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:42 pm 

pete wrote:
I wen;t to bass pro in St. Catherine's the other day to buy pellets. while I was waiting for the salesman he was busy showing 2 guys these mares legs. I asked him if I could take a look at it too. the one with the gold on it. man what a beautiful little gun. it was about a $1000.00 bucks. the other smaller one is a .22. it was pretty decent too. they probably aren't too practical for anything but they sure are cool. I told him if I had my license I would've bought it on the spot.

You are right, they are sort-of cool, but as I see them, they have no practical use for hunting, target shooting or plinking, for that matter!

However, at our local gun show, my bro "Gabriel Law" (outlaw) was campaigning for Cowboy Action shooting, showing off his cowboy action guns.

So, Pete - get your P.A.L., save some money and get some 'real' FUN guns.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 pm 

tinbird wrote:
Other than it being a short firearm, I don't see the appeal.

Good enough for Steve McQueen... good enough for me!

On a more serious note, it could make a nice "bear" gun for the provinces that don't want to issue ATC... as long as you practice with it.

Personally, I'd like one with a full size stock.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:21 pm 

I've found the mare's leg guns or coach guns to be cool, but difficult to hold. I just couldn't get comfortable with it enough to want one for myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:12 am 

Bear guns need to have full stocks and be 12 bore, loaded with slugs- 1 ounce minimum. 1 1/8th to 1 1/4oz is better.
When testing different makes of slugs purchased locally, I found some "Challenger" slugs. Made in Canada,
they have the appearance of the Guilandi Dangerous Game slugs. These weigh 492gr. and are supposed to be running
about 1,625fps. From my 24" rifled Mossey, they print 1 1/2" groups at 30 yards.
From a smooth bore, they should do nearly as well. THAT is a bear load.
Another is a 14bore to 12 bore round ball loading in low or high brass shells with a slow burning shotshell powder, for 1,500fps.
This load matches that used in Africa in the late 1800's and early 1900's in the 12 bore SXS rifles and Cape Guns.
I have the recipe if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 am 

Bear defence is always a compromise... In a perfect world, I'd have a 458 or 375 readily available... But I don't feel like lugging it around. So a short barrel shotgun + 1 1/4oz slugs will have to do.

Never had to shoot one.
A few encounters... when I didn't have a bell

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

Daryl wrote:
pete wrote:
I wen;t to bass pro in St. Catherine's the other day to buy pellets. while I was waiting for the salesman he was busy showing 2 guys these mares legs. I asked him if I could take a look at it too. the one with the gold on it. man what a beautiful little gun. it was about a $1000.00 bucks. the other smaller one is a .22. it was pretty decent too. they probably aren't too practical for anything but they sure are cool. I told him if I had my license I would've bought it on the spot.

You are right, they are sort-of cool, but as I see them, they have no practical use for hunting, target shooting or plinking, for that matter!

However, at our local gun show, my bro "Gabriel Law" (outlaw) was campaigning for Cowboy Action shooting, showing off his cowboy action guns.

So, Pete - get your P.A.L., save some money and get some 'real' FUN guns.
beautiful western guns I love em. it,s a little late in my life to get a pal. I might even have to hang up the airguns soon. the ole body is getting worse every day. but I always had a thing for western guns and stuff. the ones in my pictures are all replicas mind you but I thought they looked good on the wall. and it gave me something to collect. I recently sold the pistols , rifle and gun rack. even tho they weren,t real it hurt to sell them.

Attachments:
Photo0224.jpg
Photo0224.jpg [ 28.79 KiB | Viewed 2015 times ]
Photo0220.jpg
Photo0220.jpg [ 23.6 KiB | Viewed 2015 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:48 pm 

I've had 3 Mares legs pass thru my hands. All 3 were restocked with full rear butts to make them a use able camp gun. 2 in 357 and one in .22 for chickens and such off a quad/ side by side.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 pm 

Daryl wrote:

Pretty fancy sights on that Sharps... 8)

Very nice BTW, which chambering? Bore looks big...maybe 50-90?

Al

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm 

Yes it is Al. .50/90 using a .50 Alaskan case. His 1,000 meter load is 91gr. Swiss 1 1/2 and 600gr. pointy from a Buffalo Arms mould. The MV is about 1,320fps IIRC. The sights are close to or just over $1,500.00 for both. The front

sight has a spirit level and the rear Vernier Tang Sight, a Hadley Adjustable Disk. He shoots it very well. Now that he has the range and sight setting he needs no warmups to smack the 1,000 meter

buffalo AR500 target. Set the sight, load and pow----------------------several seconds later-clang.