Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

I've been into 1812 reenactment stuff for quite a few years now (not a reenactor myself, not yet anyway) and always wanted to get a flintlock gun, but never had the money. But I'll be getting some money from a family member within the next few months, and figured now would be the best time to do it. Where's a good place to get the gun/accessories in Ontario? For under $1,000 total preferably. Thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:20 pm 

hey t. check out any gun shows that might be in your area. there is one every 3 months in st. Catharines. and I;ve seen a lot of old powder burners for sale at them. if not I,m sure a lot of the guys there would know where you could get your hands on one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 pm 

Here ya go! https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/493/1

You will normally get nothing buy junk for under $1,000.00 - However, Pedersoli, might have something for you. I personally will NOT buy nor stand near (when fired) ANYTHING made in India.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 am 

I bought a Pedersoli musket from the US back when the dollar was at par. I thought I would say about $300, but I had to pay $300 in duty since Pedersoli's are manufactured in Italy and do qualify under NAFTA.

If it had been made in the US or Mexico there would have been no duty. I should have just ordered from one of the Canadian sources.

Also, the link actually takes you to percussion caps which are classified as firearms and not period correct for 1812 events:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/493/1

"Percussion cap long guns and muzzle-loading black powder handguns made after 1898 are not considered antiques even if they are copies of an earlier antique model."

Of course, you still need a PAL to buy black powder unless the group you are joining provides it...

I recommend joining an existing group since they will be able to help you get outfitted with the proper gear. My main group will lend out gear to new recruits to help them get started. I wore a barracks jacket with them for 4 years before I got my redcoat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:16 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

http://militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 pm 

I bought one number of years back and returned it. I took it apart and soon found undersized screws in critical locations throughout. I also found the breech leaked powder fouling to the rear through the threads quite badly. I found the breech plug threads, of which only 3 gave purchase varied in their engagement, .002 ", .014" and 022",(IIRC) in threads that were cut actually .074" deep. My findings scared the hell out of me, so I returned it. I kept photos and measurements in my records.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 pm 

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll likely end up spending more than $1,000, no use being cheap! :lol:

lastballfan wrote:
I bought a Pedersoli musket from the US back when the dollar was at par. I thought I would say about $300, but I had to pay $300 in duty since Pedersoli's are manufactured in Italy and do qualify under NAFTA.

If it had been made in the US or Mexico there would have been no duty. I should have just ordered from one of the Canadian sources.

Also, the link actually takes you to percussion caps which are classified as firearms and not period correct for 1812 events:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/493/1

"Percussion cap long guns and muzzle-loading black powder handguns made after 1898 are not considered antiques even if they are copies of an earlier antique model."

Of course, you still need a PAL to buy black powder unless the group you are joining provides it...

I recommend joining an existing group since they will be able to help you get outfitted with the proper gear. My main group will lend out gear to new recruits to help them get started. I wore a barracks jacket with them for 4 years before I got my redcoat.

Thanks again for all the info. Are you sure about the black powder though? I always heard that anything that isn't assembled ammo didn't need a PAL, and powder was regulated by the explosives laws. Even quickly read over the ONT government webpage and it said more or less that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 am 

Legally, I do not think you need a license to buy black powder.

Most firearms shops will ask to see you PAL when you buy powder. I have always just shown mine and never really thought about whether I actually had to show it or not.

That said, the last time I bought black powder was 2013. My re-enacting unit (imuc.org) supplies rolled rounds for its members to use on the field. So, I have not had to buy powder for a while...

Here is are a couple responses to related questions from a shop I have dealt with online:
"Do I need to have a gun license to purchase ammunition and reloading supplies like gunpowder and primers?
A firearms license (either a POL, or PAL) must be shown to purchase loaded ammunition. The components for manufacturing ammunition (brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc.) do not require a license for their purchase. There are currently no legal limits on quantity purchases. We do not record your license or other information, nor will we do so unless forced to by law.

Why can't I find regular old-fashioned blackpowder for my flintlock rifle anymore?
The government has changed the regulations regarding blackpowder, particularly with regard to shipping. We feel that it may be impossible to obtain any future shipments of blackpowder, due to the re-classification of its explosive nature. You should be experimenting with blackpowder substitutes such as Pyrodex, ClearShot, and Triple Seven powders to see which works best for you and your firearm."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 am 

Component sales do not require you to show a P.A.L., however, the store policy might -

not in the stores where I shop. You are required by law to produce a P.A.L. when buying fixed ammo.

Many stores record amount, type and your name and address when buying powder.

Flintlocks are not considered firearms for licensing, therefore you do not need a P.A.L. to buy or own one.

Thus, you do not need a P.A.L. to buy powder, caps, balls or denim cloth for patches, either.

Come to Rendezvous B.C. - GOEX is $26.00 per pound now - period. If you are there, you can buy it.

Generally someone will likely be selling caps for those who use those.

If you do not have a P.A.L.- there is an instructor present and he runs a course - free, I think, for those who want one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:07 am 

- that is, the P.A.L. course and exam for those who want/need one, during the 10 rendezvous.

The time and location is declared at the opening Friday evening council fire.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:37 pm 

Nice! Free PAL course! I heard they are charging $600 or more in Regina to take it. It's $125 here in Moose jaw area, plus the $60 the government charges.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk