Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 pm 

Hello everyone,
New to the forum, hoping somebody can help me.

I have a Remington Tyrant break barrel gun, had it for about 2 years. Used it hear and there during the summer of 2015 (maybe put 500 rounds through it. accuracy was amazing with just basic crosman pellets, consistently shot .75inch groups at 25-30yrds.

shot it a bit towards the end of summer 2016, noticed it was having issue. 3 shot group on paper, walk out to the target. the 1st and 2nd shots were tight, 3rd shot dropped severely (3-5inches low).

put the gun away for the summer. tried it again this weekend. re-tightened actions screws with lock-tight, lubed synthetic breach seal.

it shot decent for about 15-20 shots, then started repeating itself. Every grouping had a severely low shot. I would think a drop in pressure.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm 

if you think its due to a drop in fps...only real way to find out is to get yourself a chrony or if you know someone with one and run some shots through it
that will give you a very good idea of whats going on with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

Anyone think it might be due for a little chamber lube?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm 

Ace wrote:
if you think its due to a drop in fps...only real way to find out is to get yourself a chrony or if you know someone with one and run some shots through it
that will give you a very good idea of whats going on with it.

I'd definitely give that a try first off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 pm 

Is this a 500fps model? Caliber? Spring or nitro?
Did the drop occur instantly that one time like a switch was flipped and it has never recovered?
Are you certain it's a drop in power and not a change in the sights? Like maybe a scope lens or misc part in there shifted?
That's a generic chinese B18 btw, so there's lots of other guns that are basically identical so it may help when searching for the problem. Like the Crosman Venom, Optimus, Vantage, Titan and many others.
I was thinking if coil spring then maybe it broke? If nitro then maybe it somehow burped some gas then stopped? Or the breech seal decided to start leaking, or maybe something go stuck in the main seal causing a leak. If a 500fps model then maybe something was plugging the hole and it finally fell out? Longs shot ideas but it's all I got right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:47 pm 

I had a scope do that. It wasn't the gun. Drove me nuts until I swapped scopes.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 am 

its a 1200fps model. spring piston gun.
Chamber lubing might be the answer. ill try that.

It's just odd, ill get a few shots right on zero, then a shot will be drastically lower. And I wouldn't call that shot a "flyer". its always LOW. never any other direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:12 pm 
Supporting Member

X2 on what Ricksplace said, except that I go to open sights.
I have (I think) 14 air rifles, and only 2 are still scoped.
I have a whole bunch of the cheapo scopes that come with guns, and two or three supposedly "good scopes" that I don't trust at all any more. :(
I shoot a lot at 10 yards with teeny targets, and at 25 yards with a little bigger ones. Open sights are pretty much "foolproof".
(Gophers at whatever range they appear and I have better results with open sights than with scopes.)

The good news is that I love to shoot with open sights.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:59 pm 

Oic, so it's random.
You aren't resting the gun on anything hard are you? Like a window sill or fence post can really screw up accuracy. Are your pellets good? A bent pellet skirt is a leak and will cause a poi drop.
If that's all good then I'm leaning towards the scope or breech not fully closing on those shots. I agree the scope should be pulled for troubleshooting, and while it's off you can inspect it. You you can look into the objective (front) lens with a flashlight and you can see the W/E screws and opposite those is a leaf spring. The spring simply pushes the inner (erector) tube firmly against the W/E screws. If spring pressure is inadequate then the violent firing cycle can cause the inner tube to move and not return to it's original spot and thus poi is randomly off. I'd assume that would result in random down and/or left poi, but it's worth a look-c. If you haven't shimmed the scope you probably should b/c that puts more tension on said spring. Lots of people simply adj up to comp for barrel droop which takes most of the spring tension off, and I've even see it where the spring actually stopped before the up adj ran out so their inner tube is literally flopping around. So first I'd verify the spring is there and not broke off, but I'd also adj elevation all the way out to verify the spring can follow. Also note if the inner tube moves slowly and evenly as the screw is turned, or are there uneven spots or debris causing the tube to jump around. Many cheap scopes I've seen the tube move side to side while adjusting elevation due to that, or vice versa, either way it's not good.
Uneven image distortion is a clue a lens is loose. Like look at the target, then move your head around to see if distortion is even 360 degrees. If uneven then a lens could be tilted, and if tilted it's likely moving around shot to shot. A broken leg of the reticle wire can move randomly shot to shot as well but those are immediately obvious.
It won't hurt to lube the chamber but being that new it shouldn't need it, unless maybe they literally forgot to lube which no doubt happens.
When you figure it out please let us know what it was....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 pm 

Checking zero without a scope would be my first step.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:20 am 

I understand barrel harmonics and how to rest a rifle when shooting. I always rest on bags.

This rifle has no iron sights, so I think ill start with switching the scope from one o my 22lr on to this, see what happens.

thx for the insight gents,

I'll let you know how the scope swap goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:25 am 

I wasn't meaning barrel harmonics. When shooting a springer, especially a break barrel, you have issues you'll never see in a firearm and you were kinda describing classic issues so I tried...
Anyway, I was wondering if you had any luck?? Lots of people have random low shots, or the first shot only is low and misc other tough to explain issues so any progress updates will help others.