Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Ruger Airhawk Owners
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:36 am 

I own three Ruger Airhawks and mostly all I shoot anymore. I do have others but I enjoy the ease of working on them and changing them around and making shooters out of them. One is my open fibre optic sight gun 589FPS (added in a valve spring from a Johnson outboard boat motor), one shooting 700 FPS, one shooting 495FPS but getting a full power spring. Vortex P2 kits will be at AGS in the next two weeks. The big size of the Airhawk just works for me. I enjoy my springers. My Hatsan 35S will remain my 495fps stock shooter. Have a couple novelty airguns that do not do pinpointing shooting which make them not a lot of fun to shoot but will keep working on them in time.

Anyone find their Airhawk is their go to gun for accuracy?

CHEERS!

Post subject: Re: Ruger Airhawk Owners
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 pm 
Supporting Member

I have 2 Air Hawks and each has the higher power spring that I got from R&R.

I Chronied one in March at 800.13 fps average and the other in May at 813.34 fps average. I've lube/tuned them and a better tuner might get more fps, but I'm happy with them the way they are.

The 800 fps one has a standard deviation of 2.2, with an fps spread of 6.1 fps over 10 shots.
The 813 fps one has a standard deviation of 2.35 with an fps spread of 9.6 fps over 10 shots.

They're really consistent and I find them very accurate but I don't have a good shooting rest so I can't provide numbers for absolute accuracy with me taken out of the equation. I can consistently pick off bread bag tags (I snap them in two before setting them up) shooting off hand from 10 yards indoors.

The triggers are polished and modified into two stagers, and I find the guns easy and consistent to shoot "accurately".

They aren't the same as, but shoot very much like my Diana 34.

I've modified the stocks on both of them.

I like them a lot.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:13 pm 

PeterG wrote:
I have 2 Air Hawks and each has the higher power spring that I got from R&R.

I Chronied one in March at 800.13 fps average and the other in May at 813.34 fps average. I've lube/tuned them and a better tuner might get more fps, but I'm happy with them the way they are.

The 800 fps one has a standard deviation of 2.2, with an fps spread of 6.1 fps over 10 shots.
The 813 fps one has a standard deviation of 2.35 with an fps spread of 9.6 fps over 10 shots.

They're really consistent and I find them very accurate but I don't have a good shooting rest so I can't provide numbers for absolute accuracy with me taken out of the equation. I can consistently pick off bread bag tags (I snap them in two before setting them up) shooting off hand from 10 yards indoors.

The triggers are polished and modified into two stagers, and I find the guns easy and consistent to shoot "accurately".

They aren't the same as, but shoot very much like my Diana 34.

I've modified the stocks on both of them.

I like them a lot.

That's good shootin' Peter, but can you put a pellet thru the diecut hole in that bread bag tag. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 pm 

Hmmm. I wanted to see what one looked like, so I Googled it. Seems Walmart (Canada) sells the 495fps version for $99.97 with a cheap scope and free shipping. If it's as good as you say it seems like a good deal.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ruger-airh ... 0071263695

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am 

lleader wrote:
Hmmm. I wanted to see what one looked like, so I Googled it. Seems Walmart (Canada) sells the 495fps version for $99.97 with a cheap scope and free shipping. If it's as good as you say it seems like a good deal.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ruger-airh ... 0071263695

Yes that is them. I bought one from Walmart. Centrepoint scopes which are not bad to get up and going. After upgrade any pellet gun I sell or give away gets a Ruger scope. :lol: But they need a lube job before shooting or they kick like a mule. No better gun to tear into and work on as you destroy it you spend another $99. and try again. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 am 

I waited a long time to get an elite in non-PAL but eventually found this one locally at a fair price. It was hot out of the box so I detuned it by cutting the spring.
It has nice furniture and the innards cleaned up well. Being a D34 knockoff parts are available so this is a good platform to mess around with. It may show up in other threads, but a reminder that it isn't a clone of the D34. there are some differences such as the location of the stock screws and the cocking linkage are different. Trigger, barrel, innards (seal, piston, spring) are interchangeable so that helps with tuning and modding. It's been a long time since I did accuracy testing, but with the right pellet..ragged single hole at 10m for sure otherwise it wouldn't still be in my closet.

Attachments:
P4050005_zps110d1c25.jpg
P4050005_zps110d1c25.jpg [ 21.61 KiB | Viewed 1609 times ]

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok. I should have said "fairly consistently"

Ricksplace wrote:

"but with the right pellet..ragged single hole at 10m for sure"
Yeah, mine are a bit pellet picky. The one I've owned longest wants Nothing But JSB 4.53
The other likes JSB or H&N 4.52 and isn't quite so picky.

Edmonton<500 wrote:

"but can you put a pellet thru the diecut hole in that bread bag tag?"
I don't know but I'm gonna try. If I aim at that hole and nothing changes after I shoot am I entitled to assume that the pellet went through the hole cleanly? A .22 pellet can just get through so a .177 should be a piece of cake. :roll: I may need to buy more bread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 pm 

Dukemeister wrote:
I waited a long time to get an elite in non-PAL but eventually found this one locally at a fair price. It was hot out of the box so I detuned it by cutting the spring.
It has nice furniture and the innards cleaned up well. Being a D34 knockoff parts are available so this is a good platform to mess around with. It may show up in other threads, but a reminder that it isn't a clone of the D34. there are some differences such as the location of the stock screws and the cocking linkage are different. Trigger, barrel, innards (seal, piston, spring) are interchangeable so that helps with tuning and modding. It's been a long time since I did accuracy testing, but with the right pellet..ragged single hole at 10m for sure otherwise it wouldn't still be in my closet.

Rob at R&R Airgun Repair out in Manitoba is an Umarex dealer and ordered a thumb hole stock which I put on one of mine. It was either last year or early this year and IIRC was 80 bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:58 pm 

I'm no fan of the bulky stock and will purchase a Blackhawk or Surge or stock alone. If you have one please send a PM. What would really interest me though is a conversion to .22.
Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:38 pm 
Supporting Member

My two Air Hawk stocks have been modified which is one of the advantages of wooden stocks. If you don't like the way they are, you
can re-shape and re-finish them to your taste.

I can't figure out how to make an image of manageable size appear on a post from imjur but here is the link to look at them.

http://imgur.com/G0ZXpIi

The dark one (dark brown stain not black) was made to mimic my Diana, and the lighter one on the bottom was just because I thought
I'd like that shape.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:24 am 

tango wrote:
I'm no fan of the bulky stock and will purchase a Blackhawk or Surge or stock alone. If you have one please send a PM. What would really interest me though is a conversion to .22.
Any ideas?

The XS25 is the native version of the Ruger air/black Hawks. A .22 barrel will slap on to the airhawk.
Ask either of these places if you can get a .22 barrel... then again a whole rifle might be just as cheap:
http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index. ... duct_id=51
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... ock-p-1112

:drinkers:

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:59 am 

Just ordered a 1000FPS (27.95 plus tax and shipping I believe it was) spring from R&R Airgun Repair which will give me a three set of Ruger Airhawks of 598FPS open fibre optics sights and 689FPS scoped and what ever the 1000FPS spring gives scoped. I assume it will be atleast 850- 900FPS. Got my Hatsan 35S scoped for 500FPS. Should give me a good range for anything I want to do. Then a couple novelty rifles here to frustrate me. :lol: :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:27 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

PeterG wrote:

http://imgur.com/G0ZXpIi

The dark one (dark brown stain not black) was made to mimic my Diana, and the lighter one on the bottom was just because I thought
I'd like that shape.

Peter,
What sights are you using on them? Where are they from, and how much are they?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:53 pm 
Supporting Member

The Diana has the following sight that I got from Brownells in the USA

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/si ... 06017.aspx Cost is $71.99USD plus shipping etc.

The Dark Rifle at the top has a Williams rear sight that is less convenient to adjust but it works great. I've had it for a while and I got it from Amazon.ca however they no longer sell them. When I bought it, it cost around $75CAD. Midway, and Brownells, and Williams all have web sights and poking around in them might locate the sight, although I'd buy the "upgraded" one at Brownells if I were to purchase another one.

The light coloured Air Hawk has a UTG sub compact sight that I also have in the past bought from Amazon.ca for about $45 delivered to a pick up location, but they don't sell them any more either. I just ordered three more from Brownells so they're temporarily out of stock. Sorry. :oops: They work great and have excellent windage and elevation adjustments although the elevation is a little limited.

The cost in Canadian funds including shipping and customs charges was about $115 for all three. They require a dovetail to Picatinny piece to mount them, and I buy those from Ebay for very little (like $3 or $4 for two of them) and they eventually come from China. The pieces are solid and have to be mounted on a gun that has the dovetail to the back end of the receiver so you can slide them on. Most of my guns don't, so I just take the bolts out of the Chinese pieces, put them in my vice and snap them in half longitudinally. Then they work fine. Actually they work a lot better.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 pm 
Supporting Member

I forgot the front sights.

The Diana has a tunnel sight with inserts which is standard for that model. I get my inserts from Lee Shaver Gunsmithing in the USA.

The two Rugers have modified "original" front sights with a vertical post instead of the "tru-glo" and a piece of 3/4 inch copper pipe cut and shaped to make a protective cover for it. 3/4" copper unions are even better because they're a little bigger around and a perfect length.

For the vertical post I use either a piece of guitar "E" string with a tiny blob of epoxy on the top, or a piece of drill bit (I think it's 3/64ths - the smallest one I have (I bought a whole box of misc., bits from Canadian Tire so I have lots)) Both ways work well.