Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:03 am 

Full Of Air! wrote:
Thanks to all of you who took the time to write something.

To summerize my thoughts at this point... I feel the Benjamin might be not powerful as I would like. And the 2240 seems to be a nice up gradable option but when I take account of the price of the gun, the steel breech, scope, longer barrel, HPA sounds like a must to me and then I need something to fill it up and a few other things to make it the way I would like then it gets $$$
Cheers, thanks everybody

Yeah! I fell into the same hole of 2240 / P1322 already... I got my P1322 kit as a good starter with the shoulder stock to make it good to shoot and a carbine gun look for just around $100 shipped. (Did I mention the protection glass, a small can of pellets and a nice pellet pouch? Although except the pellet can is almost empty and I didn't touch the other bonus stuff, it's a good value added to the kit for a starter)

Right now I am ordering my long barrel, Williams sight, steel breech kit, muzzle brake (for look and front sight) and related small stuff needed to install the upgrades, like spare roll pin, breech screw, 2289 barrel band from D&L... include a can of pellet and shipment charge, and the total is over $300 already... hopefully I think I will stop here (in the near, hopefully longer, future).

And then end up my P1322 "package" is more than $400... I think it's a good money for a serious rifle already... and you don't need any upgrade on a rifle right, except a good scope?!

After using the 1322 for some time, the one thing I am 100% sure is .22 just have the incomparable power to make damage than .177 and OP just made a good decision (like me ^_^) to step into the .22 cal. And the 2 rifles OP is watching are both with good reputation too. I don't know if you will end up buying both and more, but they are good. And the 22xx / 13xx etc will give you a completely different look than the traditional rifle, and that's what I love to see and own and the major reason to buy the 1322 (the other major reason is the .22 cal pellet power).

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
If you can adjust it down, and inspector can adjust it right back up and charge you.

Guess they'll be writing speeding tickets if your car COULD exceed the speed limit next hmm? Ridiculous. :roll:

Al

True -- but not really, considering our laws. I think a more accurate analogy would be to compare it to a rifle factory equipped with variable power. Just because the lowest setting shoots <500 fps for maximum shot count, one can hardly argue that a person without a PAL should be able to own that rifle under the assumption that he will always :roll: use it at that (those) settings "until he gets his PAL." That seems to be even more ridiculous, and in the case of the 2240 pistol, it becomes even more painful because the pistol jumps from non-regulated to restricted. That's why I have said before that an RVA on a pistol similar to the 2240 is inviting trouble. Sure, they've got to catch you first, but if they do... :axe:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:34 am 

This is my first .22 rifle - on top, the HW98. Nice!
The bottom one is an HW97, Blackline in .177, which now has the wooden thumbhole stock.

Attachments:
HW Rifles and Scopes 65 percent.jpg
HW Rifles and Scopes 65 percent.jpg [ 232.8 KiB | Viewed 547 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:10 pm 

That hw98 looks sweet!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 am 

YepYep wrote:
Full Of Air! wrote:
Thanks to all of you who took the time to write something.

To summerize my thoughts at this point... I feel the Benjamin might be not powerful as I would like. And the 2240 seems to be a nice up gradable option but when I take account of the price of the gun, the steel breech, scope, longer barrel, HPA sounds like a must to me and then I need something to fill it up and a few other things to make it the way I would like then it gets $$$
Cheers, thanks everybody

Yeah! I fell into the same hole of 2240 / P1322 already... I got my P1322 kit as a good starter with the shoulder stock to make it good to shoot and a carbine gun look for just around $100 shipped. (Did I mention the protection glass, a small can of pellets and a nice pellet pouch? Although except the pellet can is almost empty and I didn't touch the other bonus stuff, it's a good value added to the kit for a starter)

Right now I am ordering my long barrel, Williams sight, steel breech kit, muzzle brake (for look and front sight) and related small stuff needed to install the upgrades, like spare roll pin, breech screw, 2289 barrel band from D&L... include a can of pellet and shipment charge, and the total is over $300 already... hopefully I think I will stop here (in the near, hopefully longer, future).

And then end up my P1322 "package" is more than $400... I think it's a good money for a serious rifle already... and you don't need any upgrade on a rifle right, except a good scope?!

After using the 1322 for some time, the one thing I am 100% sure is .22 just have the incomparable power to make damage than .177 and OP just made a good decision (like me ^_^) to step into the .22 cal. And the 2 rifles OP is watching are both with good reputation too. I don't know if you will end up buying both and more, but they are good. And the 22xx / 13xx etc will give you a completely different look than the traditional rifle, and that's what I love to see and own and the major reason to buy the 1322 (the other major reason is the .22 cal pellet power).

I enjoyed reading your post!

And also it made me realized and confirmed my thoughts, it's a nice set-up but it gets expensive to get it where i would like it to be! I guess I am one of those guys that needs it all or nothing 8) :lol:

I am glad to see you found an incomparable power between .177 and .22. Now that I'm getting my pal next month, I'm thinking of going with a .25 :wink: 8)

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:32 am 

Al[/quote]
and in the case of the 2240 pistol, it becomes even more painful because the pistol jumps from non-regulated to restricted. That's why I have said before that an RVA on a pistol similar to the 2240 is inviting trouble. Sure, they've got to catch you first, but if they do... :axe:[/quote]

I have to say, you brought a good point there...

I don't want to have to worry, limit myself with power or pay a lot of money in modification when often a PAL airgun is like a $100 more than a non PAL... That's why I'm paying $160 next month to get my PAL and open all doors...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am 

Daryl wrote:
The bottom one is an HW97, Blackline in .177, which now has the wooden thumbhole stock.

Yep, those are nice for sure but I have to say in all respect, that Air Force Condor .25 in your signature got my attention :wink: :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 am 

lesrock wrote:
I just thought I'd chime in here. I myself have been reintroduced to air gunning after shooting in the 1960's when the bb guns and the pellet guns I used were nothing compared to today. I don't know if they make the TRAIL in <500fps, but the STEEL EAGLE I think they do. If I were you I'd pick up the cheapest Crosman Phantom in 22 or a Ruger Air Hawk in 177 (if Walmart still carry them $100 for the air hawk). Those two guns can be easily modified with a full power spring, you just have to search on this site for the "how to". You will find that they are both great shooters. Then when you try one or both of them and when you get your PAL you can make a better informed decision. I picked up a Benjamin Titan NP .22 ( I think it's "little brother" to the Trail) just this week at Bass Pro for $149.97. This for me has been an awesome gun that I highly recommend. Also, every gun I own has the "worst" trigger made for a gun, but for some reason they all work for me. I don't know what a "good" trigger is. My mods only go as far as the full power spring. Hopefully you and your son will enjoy many years of shooting together. Yes, I know that the guns I mentioned are springers, but they are easily modified and a great intro into air gunning.

Thanks for your time, I enjoyed reading your post and I feel you and I have the same kind of "past and come back to air rifle" except mine started in the 70's :D

You made good suggestions and I keep them in mind for sure. I cant wait to initiate my son to it as well, that's for sure.

Thanks, cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:51 am 

Full Of Air! wrote:

And also it made me realized and confirmed my thoughts, it's a nice set-up but it gets expensive to get it where i would like it to be! I guess I am one of those guys that needs it all or nothing 8) :lol:

I am glad to see you found an incomparable power between .177 and .22. Now that I'm getting my pal next month, I'm thinking of going with a .25 :wink: 8)

Cheers

It looks the .25 will not be the end of your power thirsty mind~ :lol: :lol:

I enjoy the .22 power and within 50 yard range plinking fun so far... and I don't have the condition to shoot too far and using a more powerful meaning of bigger pellets or higher FPS. So I am good with the non-PAL status with a non-power-related mods on my P1322 and my other replicas. (air-soft is not my tea. I had one long ago while I was in high school. I remember I was exited that the plastic BB can penetrate 3 or 4 layers of newspaper....but not enough for now~ hehe)

But if you planned to go .25 or bigger, and starts with a rifle, I agreed PAL is a must~ right?! You can't save this money~

Cheers and enjoy the incoming good time~

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:18 pm 

Full Of Air! wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Yep, those are nice for sure but I have to say in all respect, that Air Force Condor .25 in your signature got my attention :wink: :)

Cheers!

That's my first .25. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:54 pm 

[/quote]

It looks the .25 will not be the end of your power thirsty mind~ :lol: :lol:

I enjoy the .22 power and within 50 yard range plinking fun so far... and I don't have the condition to shoot too far and using a more powerful meaning of bigger pellets or higher FPS. So I am good with the non-PAL status with a non-power-related mods on my P1322 and my other replicas. (air-soft is not my tea. I had one long ago while I was in high school. I remember I was exited that the plastic BB can penetrate 3 or 4 layers of newspaper....but not enough for now~ hehe)

But if you planned to go .25 or bigger, and starts with a rifle, I agreed PAL is a must~ right?! You can't save this money~

Cheers and enjoy the incoming good time~[/quote]

LOL

Yeah I feel you're reading me! After looking at some videos of the Bulldog .357 I got inspired LOL

I'm passing my PAL in less than 2 weeks... I'm thinking .25... I have 2 acres so lots of space.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:55 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Full Of Air! wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Cheers!

That's my first .25. :drinkers:

Yep I'm thinking of following your path!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 pm 

The Condor is very accurate - and with NOE bullet moulds, you can cast your own 'pellets'.

designed by our own Rsterne

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=374_376

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:43 pm 

Daryl wrote:
The Condor is very accurate - and with NOE bullet moulds, you can cast your own 'pellets'.

designed by our own Rsterne

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=374_376

That's pretty cool, I never thought of that! Thanks for the link, cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 am 

If it wasn't mentioned before, the Jim Shockey Steel Eagle and the Trail NP2 are the same gun, just cosmetically different. In the US the Phoenix is much cheaper, but not sure about CA. The Phoenix has a dovetail scope rail, which I prefer and they don't break off, but otherwise it's the same NP2 gun inside.
The first reply mentioned the Trail NP, which is a different gun. Not any better or worse imo but the NP2 does have some improvements you may like, like a better trigger. The NP2 has ~20-25% more power than the NP. The Trail NP is a bit expensive for what you get, other NP guns like the Vantage and a bunch of other versions will be much cheaper.
The Weihrauch guns like Daryl posted are sweet and if you know you want a springer I'd seriously consider one. The HW95 should be the least expensive and it's a great all-around gun. Power is ~13.5ftlbs in 177, I think 14.5 in 22? But unless you're shooting at stuff larger than rabbits you really don't need more. My two favorite guns are both in that power range.
If accuracy is important to you then I stress the Weihrauch even more because the NP2's (or any Crosman break barrel) simply aren't good enough quality. Some get lucky and get an accurate one, but I get emails every day about accuracy issues and it's almost always the barrel. The Weihrauch barrels are excellent and choked, and the guns overall are much nicer looking and better quality. The trigger of a Weihrauch is absolutely top notch, the Crosman/Benj triggers are at the other end of the spectrum (google it and see). So $ for $ the Weihrauch is easily the way to go, but most people go the cheap route.
Then there's pcp guns, which are super cool if you can tolerate pumping them by hand, or can afford to get a 4500psi carbon fiber tank and/or electric pump, ideally both.
If you have any interest in a pistol I'd suggest the Beeman P17. It's super cheap yet works very well. Very light, only one pump, generally fairly accurate and just an overall cool toy everyone should have. Excellent to take fishing or hiking. ~400fps, 177 only