Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:19 am 

Hi!

First time poster here! I spent a lot of time reading on the forum in the past month...
So a little on me and what I'm looking for.

Has a kid, I used to have classic Daisy .177 and fast forward 25 years later I kind of would get back at it with my son.
This time I would like to upgrade to a .22 and it would be mostly for target shooting and a bit a pest control on the property.
Intending to get my PAL by the end of the year so a rifle that's "up gradable" would be nice but not a necessity.

I don't know much, pretty "new" to this in today's standards. I pin pointed two rifles that seems alright to start but because I don't know much, maybe my choice are not the best or there's something better out there. Which brings me to my first post!

So far the two that I narrowed down are Benjamin Sheridan Jim Shockey steel eagle and the Trail NP2.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance, cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:18 am 

You'll get many great replies here but you mentioned the Trail NP in .22 and I use one as well for both plinkin and professional pesting on farms. It's one of my favorite and affordable choices. I would go for the high power and get your PAL, it opens up a whole new world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:26 pm 

Thanks for your reply!
Well it's good to hear that you're with the Trail, I have to say I'm leaning towards that one a little bit more.
I know you're right about getting the high power one, but I'm too impatient/excited and can't wait lol.

Anyways, thanks for your time! Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:45 pm 

Keep in mind that with scope, that thing will be about 10 pounds. Maybe more.

I have two of very similar style (different model name is about it), a synthetic and a wood. I like them just fine, but I only shoot paper and 95% of the time from a bench.

The plus side is they are dead simple to work on and the weight helps with the shot cycle.

Both of mine are now non-Pal and tuned. They shoot very nice, but even with the weight, the full power one produced a pretty good THWACK on firing.

Eric at Scopes and Ammo sells a proper trigger replacement for fifty bucks or so, but ONLY for the NP2 versions. Used to be able to buy a GTX or CDT (Charlie da Tuna) gold anodized trigger for the older Crosmans, but I dont see it anymore. Anywhere. I should have bought 10 of the damn things while I could......

Just about all Crosman triggers leave something to be desired, to say the least....there are OTHER fixes you can find online but a lot of folks get thier panties all in a twist about making the gun "unsafe" so I think it best you do your own research on that.
Oh, on the thumb-hole version I have (Classic I think)? I refinished the stock, removed the Rez that Crosman uses and used a natural stain, then many coats of Tung oil. Came up very, very nice.

Some folks like boiled linseed oil instead, but again, do your research as there are pro's and cons to each if you ever decide to get rid of the disgusting factory colour....or buy synthetic i guess. For all I know the NP2 doesn't even come in wood....its been awhile since I looked at Crosman's :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:05 pm 

id go with the crosman 2240/50 thier fairly cheap , easy to use , infinitly modifyable, easy to work on and parts are common and cheap but there also very accuate out of the box i have one and love it to death

Attachments:
20170616_075513.jpg
20170616_075513.jpg [ 517.15 KiB | Viewed 1101 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 pm 

ITGUY wrote:
Keep in mind that with scope, that thing will be about 10 pounds. Maybe more.

I have two of very similar style (different model name is about it), a synthetic and a wood. I like them just fine, but I only shoot paper and 95% of the time from a bench.

The plus side is they are dead simple to work on and the weight helps with the shot cycle.

Both of mine are now non-Pal and tuned. They shoot very nice, but even with the weight, the full power one produced a pretty good THWACK on firing.

Eric at Scopes and Ammo sells a proper trigger replacement for fifty bucks or so, but ONLY for the NP2 versions. Used to be able to buy a GTX or CDT (Charlie da Tuna) gold anodized trigger for the older Crosmans, but I dont see it anymore. Anywhere. I should have bought 10 of the damn things while I could......

Just about all Crosman triggers leave something to be desired, to say the least....there are OTHER fixes you can find online but a lot of folks get thier panties all in a twist about making the gun "unsafe" so I think it best you do your own research on that.
Oh, on the thumb-hole version I have (Classic I think)? I refinished the stock, removed the Rez that Crosman uses and used a natural stain, then many coats of Tung oil. Came up very, very nice.

Some folks like boiled linseed oil instead, but again, do your research as there are pro's and cons to each if you ever decide to get rid of the disgusting factory colour....or buy synthetic i guess. For all I know the NP2 doesn't even come in wood....its been awhile since I looked at Crosman's :)

Thanks so much for your post, I enjoyed reading it. Yeah I did thought about the weight but I think I can handle that and like you I'll be shooting from a bench most of the time.

I did read about the triggers and I appreciate you telling me where I can get a better one, I'm getting a NP2 so I'll be ordering one from Eric soon.

I'm thinking of getting the synthetic version. But I have a product to refinish gun stock, I think its called tru-oil or somthing like that, got that at Lee Vallee. Might be a good choice?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm 

ole cleatus wrote:
id go with the crosman 2240/50 thier fairly cheap , easy to use , infinitly modifyable, easy to work on and parts are common and cheap but there also very accuate out of the box i have one and love it to death

That sure is a nice set-up and it must be light as well! I appreciate the suggestion but I'm trying to stay away from CO2 cartridges, they are expensive!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:38 am 

Full Of Air! wrote:
ole cleatus wrote:

That sure is a nice set-up and it must be light as well! I appreciate the suggestion but I'm trying to stay away from CO2 cartridges, they are expensive!

Cheers!

I had a second look at it, it sure is possible to make a very nice set-up with the gun and for cheap too. With a 24" barrel and a stock extension and a scope, it looks pretty nice!

The downside apart from the co2 cartridge is that unfortunately the fps is low too compared to a NP2 rifle.

But if this was shooting 495 with a .22, I would maybe make a compromise with the cartridges...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:25 pm 

Full Of Air! wrote:
Full Of Air! wrote:
ole cleatus wrote:

Cheers!

I had a second look at it, it sure is possible to make a very nice set-up with the gun and for cheap too. With a 24" barrel and a stock extension and a scope, it looks pretty nice!

The downside apart from the co2 cartridge is that unfortunately the fps is low too compared to a NP2 rifle.

But if this was shooting 495 with a .22, I would maybe make a compromise with the cartridges...

Go with an 18-inch barrel and you'll likely have to detune it to stay under 500fps. When you're ready, convert it to HPA (you'll have to detune even more) for more, consistent, peak-power shots, and you'll resolve the temp issue that comes with using CO2. And here's a tip: using an RVA to control power is not a good choice if you don't have a PAL. If you can adjust it down, and inspector can adjust it right back up and charge you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:26 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
If you can adjust it down, and inspector can adjust it right back up and charge you.

Guess they'll be writing speeding tickets if your car COULD exceed the speed limit next hmm? Ridiculous. :roll:

Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 am 

It's sad when someone asks specifically about two guns and the recommendations deviate to guns that the op didn't even ask about.

Then things go farther into the black hole of exceeding the 500 fps barrier.

Glad there is more than one forum online.

I have the Trail XL 1100, little more power than just the Trail. It can be accurate with practice, have taken plenty of gophers.

That piston snap sure is different than a springer for sure. Trigger, not so good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am 

I am leaning to wards a XS26, from Scopes and Ammo. It is a Daina 34 clone like the 177 I have now from Ruger (airhawk)
These shoot very well..
Think on sale now for 199.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:31 pm 

Thanks to all of you who took the time to write something.

To summerize my thoughts at this point... I feel the Benjamin might be not powerful as I would like. And the 2240 seems to be a nice up gradable option but when I take account of the price of the gun, the steel breech, scope, longer barrel, HPA sounds like a must to me and then I need something to fill it up and a few other things to make it the way I would like then it gets $$$ and I think I can get more for my money if I'm patient and pass my PAL in November and get something decent. There's not much price difference between PAL and non PAL air rifle, I think I should just wait! That's what I'll do.

Cheers, thanks everybody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 am 

peterdulux wrote:
It's sad when someone asks specifically about two guns and the recommendations deviate to guns that the op didn't even ask about.

Then things go farther into the black hole of exceeding the 500 fps barrier.

Glad there is more than one forum online.

I have the Trail XL 1100, little more power than just the Trail. It can be accurate with practice, have taken plenty of gophers.

That piston snap sure is different than a springer for sure. Trigger, not so good.

So, how is your post any different. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:31 pm 

I just thought I'd chime in here. I myself have been reintroduced to air gunning after shooting in the 1960's when the bb guns and the pellet guns I used were nothing compared to today. I don't know if they make the TRAIL in <500fps, but the STEEL EAGLE I think they do. If I were you I'd pick up the cheapest Crosman Phantom in 22 or a Ruger Air Hawk in 177 (if Walmart still carry them $100 for the air hawk). Those two guns can be easily modified with a full power spring, you just have to search on this site for the "how to". You will find that they are both great shooters. Then when you try one or both of them and when you get your PAL you can make a better informed decision. I picked up a Benjamin Titan NP .22 ( I think it's "little brother" to the Trail) just this week at Bass Pro for $149.97. This for me has been an awesome gun that I highly recommend. Also, every gun I own has the "worst" trigger made for a gun, but for some reason they all work for me. I don't know what a "good" trigger is. My mods only go as far as the full power spring. Hopefully you and your son will enjoy many years of shooting together. Yes, I know that the guns I mentioned are springers, but they are easily modified and a great intro into air gunning.