Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:02 pm 

I've started up an old project I had laying around it is a b3-1 made by roebel. The gun never shot accurately from the day I bought it and It was never worth buying parts for. Just yesterday I got some spare time so decided to take the thing apart. The piston seal was cracked and modified? Unfortunately I lost the piston seal while taking it apart so I cannot show what it looked like. All I have to show is my new design which I'm not sure will work, any help I can get with this would be awsome.

Last edited by matt1415 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm 

Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1501614397965.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1501614397965.jpg [ 321.59 KiB | Viewed 1392 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:10 pm 

The 2 nylon washers were already on the piston behind the main seal when I took it out, I've never seen that before. My contribution is the o ring under what would have held the main seal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:35 am 

I think you will have metal to metal contact if you fire it that way.

The o-ring pistons I have seen are usually flat topped to reduce dead space.

Maybe it would be fun to fill the end of the piston with silicone to provide a bumper and make it flat top?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:46 am 

Hi Matt!

^ ^ ^ This, and I'd say make sure the upper nylon washer is centered or it could keep the O-ring from having a good contact with the tube wall, also having it sanded smooth (400 grit) to remove shavings would be a good idea. And if you can make a seal retainer with a wider upper lip, it would help preventing the O-ring from ''rolling off'' the groove when you cock the rifle. When you're done, use silicone oil to lube the O-ring.

Hope that'll help, and good luck :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 am 

I think they just use standard 1"/25mm seals which you can get quite cheap.

I had a Gamo Expo that someone stuck a piece of solid copper 14ga wire in it ( must been trying to clean out the port ) Needless to say that the piston took some damage and the seal was missing chunks. Only would shoot sub 300 FPS after I replaced the seal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:02 am 

Thanks guys I ended up filling the top of the piston with some silicon and was able to smooth it out nicely. Unfortunately after putting the gun back together the piston no longer catches the sear and the gun can't be cocked. No idea what happened I even mended the sear spring a little so the sear would come up more and hopefully catch on to the piston easier. It never ends with this b3, its cursed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 am 

Funny how it reminds me of my Roebel B6 side-lever, I had the same issue with it. The Roebel B6 is a copy of the XIsico/BAM B9 (a chinese copy of a chinese airgun!!!): http://www.airgundepot.com/bam-air-rifles-review.html

IIRC, it was a matter of positioning the sear correctly. I, too, had A LOT of problems with that rifle, I stopped counting how many hours of work I put into it! Finally got it to work well, but it's not my most enjoyable rifle :lol:

If you could post some pics of the spring tube/trigger, maybe we could find a way to make it work :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:07 am 

You probably have the sear in upside down. I've done it.

D&L airguns in BC has repair kits for the B3. $20 I think. New spring, piston seal, 2 breach seals, sear spring, cleaning rod, underlever barrel clasp and a bottle of Chinese mystery oil.
Kit works a treat. Worth every penny.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm 

airmec wrote:
Funny how it reminds me of my Roebel B6 side-lever, I had the same issue with it. The Roebel B6 is a copy of the XIsico/BAM B9 (a chinese copy of a chinese airgun!!!): http://www.airgundepot.com/bam-air-rifles-review.html

IIRC, it was a matter of positioning the sear correctly. I, too, had A LOT of problems with that rifle, I stopped counting how many hours of work I put into it! Finally got it to work well, but it's not my most enjoyable rifle [emoji38]

If you could post some pics of the spring tube/trigger, maybe we could find a way to make it work :wink:

I'll definitely get some pics of the B3 up soon. You'll love the stock job I did on it. Btw funny you mentioned the Roebel B6, I just bought one and the thing is more accurate than my phantom. I wonder how long that will last.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:53 pm 

matt1415 wrote:
airmec wrote:

IIRC, it was a matter of positioning the sear correctly. I, too, had A LOT of problems with that rifle, I stopped counting how many hours of work I put into it! Finally got it to work well, but it's not my most enjoyable rifle [emoji38]

I'll definitely get some pics of the B3 up soon. You'll love the stock job I did on it. Btw funny you mentioned the Roebel B6, I just bought one and the thing is more accurate than my phantom. I wonder how long that will last.

I sure want to see that! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm 

Please post detailed close up pix of the new seal setup because if not done right the piston will pound into the end of the tube and damage one or both. Ideally you should make a new leather seal or see if you can find and aftermarket conversion to a modern parachute seal or improvise fitment yourself. I have limited B3 experience but there's lots of info on these thing online, usually forums but also google images for B3 airgun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 pm 

Sorry airmec, I can't upload any pics for some reason. On that note my b3 is dead. It makes a good wall hanger though. I think when I cleaned it I must have taken too much material off the sear or the piston. When I cleaned this gun I had to use a fine sanding block to remove the surface rust. Any kind of cleaner alone wouldn't do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:45 pm 

matt1415 wrote:
Sorry airmec, I can't upload any pics for some reason. On that note my b3 is dead. It makes a good wall hanger though. I think when I cleaned it I must have taken too much material off the sear or the piston. When I cleaned this gun I had to use a fine sanding block to remove the surface rust. Any kind of cleaner alone wouldn't do the trick.

Ah, that's too bad! Sorry for you Matt, it's sad when something you fixed doesn't work :(