Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 am 

Ace wrote:
lol...rested anyone can.... :roll: :lol: :wink:

Ace,

With a solid platform and quality holding gear...probably. :wink:

With my indoor range shooting "rest", No Way! :oops:

Ted

Attachments:
Indoor Shooting Rest!.JPG
Indoor Shooting Rest!.JPG [ 266.58 KiB | Viewed 535 times ]

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 am 

TCooper wrote:
Today I had the P17 out shooting at 50 yards again.
Group #1 - Best group - 10 shots at 3.30" ctc

Seems that your eyes haven't changed since the first try. But the one test I'm waiting for is with a scope instead of the red dot. Just curious if that would tighten up the group. 46 metres is quite the distance with no magnification especially for a gun that isn't designed/expected to shoot at these distances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm 
Site Moderator

Joolz wrote:
TCooper wrote:
Today I had the P17 out shooting at 50 yards again.
Group #1 - Best group - 10 shots at 3.30" ctc

Seems that your eyes haven't changed since the first try. But the one test I'm waiting for is with a scope instead of the red dot. Just curious if that would tighten up the group. 46 metres is quite the distance with no magnification especially for a gun that isn't designed/expected to shoot at these distances.

My old eyes are definitely not going to get any better. I can't even read a newspaper without high magnification... lol.

Yesterday was a last minute decision to drive to the country for some shooting. I thought it was going to rain all day. Otherwise I would have took time to mount some better optics. I'm still anxious to see what the P17 will do with 9X magnification. I'm guessing that the few flyers will go away and the overall group might get a tiny bit smaller. With the 3moa red dot I use a standard air pistol target at 50 yards. This size bullseye allows somewhat precise aiming by showing a little bit of black around the red dot.

The trick to long distance accuracy with the P17 is absolute dead calm air. The two best opportunities that I had were both after rain showers. I wedge the pistol in a rabbit ear sandbag and proper the bottom of the grip to get alignment. The shot is taken with a fairly relaxed grip. The hold must be consistent and not touching the upper frame (it moves after shot). A light pressure on trigger with no further movement after the break. Good follow-through is best for accuracy. Don't milk the grip. Yah, anyone can do this if they practice enough. I just find it interesting to see the accuracy from a pistol that costs about as much as 3 tins of decent pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 pm 

If that red dot has such a tiny dot that it doesn't obscure the target then I don't know if a scope would really improve the group that much. But hey, only one way to find out.

You seem to have a sound technique going there. The pics prove that. But if I can add to your fun how about this on your next shooting session, preferably one where you could have a scope on the P17: bring along a 1377 and put that red dot on it. Fire both and see how they compare (that is, assuming you have a 1377 that's mostly stock and not a frankencarbine). If you do have one and it's stock, I'd image you'd get horrible groupings due to the heavy trigger on the 1377. But knowing you chances are this would be the first mod you did to it.

Of course the above test may not be practical seeing how pumping a 1377 10x would mean a far better fps than the P17. Unless you're after a full comparison and is willing to run both through a chrony trying to figure how many pumps the 1377 would need to match the speed of the P17

No, I didn't come here to make your life easier :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 am 
Site Moderator

Hi Joolz... Unfortunately I don't have a 1377 yet. I guess I would need to get a metal breach as well so optics could be mounted. It sounds like a fun experiment. If the Crosman barrel is reasonable then it should shoot fine. I would be tempted on a LW barrel! You helped remind me of a couple of good reasons why I like the P17.

12 Reasons why I like the Beeman P17
1 - It already comes with an optics rail.
2 - Mounted optics do not interfere with the loading port.
3 - The trigger can easily be adjusted and lubricated to be very nice.
4 - We often read about accurate P17s and rarely read about a poor barrel.
5 - The one stroke cocking is less bothersome than 10-pumps for a Canadian 1377.
6 - For iron sight users, the P17 rear sight has screw adjustment for W & E rather than a primitive "loosen and push" design.
7 - All 4 seals are just simple cheap o-rings that can often be purchased from local stores.
8 - The two o-rings that sometimes need changing are very easy to access.
9 - Semi compact design, especially when compared to some other air pistols.
10 - Enough non-RPAL power and accuracy for longer distance plinking. I like shooting at 20-30 yards.
11 - Comfortable design to hold and shoot. Light weight, good balance, even with optics.
12 - Cheap price!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am 

I can add to that list:

• auto safety (although some may see this as a con)
• no bolt to mess with, eliminating one step in the shooting process
• comes with the choice of fibre optics, for those that prefer these over blades. And these are small, unlike the huge blobs that adorn some rifles.
• 5% lighter than a 1377
• comfortable grips made of non slippery composite, unlike the smooth, slippery plastic grips of a 1377. Having more front to back mass than the 1377's grip, gun isn't prone to wanting to tip forward.
• comfortable to hold single handed for longer periods due to being shorter and having decent balance. Less prone to make your hands shake if aiming for longer periods than the 1377.

Sure there are other plusses but can't think of any, haven't had my morning coffee yet. The 1377 is nice, don't take me wrong. But if I could only have one, it'd be the P17 hands down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 am 

Well, had my "3" Mugs of coffee this AM...please allow me to add to the confusion:

Pros:
19. O-O-T-B Trigger on my 2 P17's -2.5# pulls and 3\4" smooth pre-travels (not bad & can be quickly set to 3\16" PT)
20. FO's have a nice sight picture & easy click adjustments
21. Pneumatic shot generates very low to no recoil
22. Safely dry fire in 1\2 or fully cocked positions
23. 10m "One-Hole" accuracy (if you do your part)
24. Only 2-5 fps variances through a full shooting session
25. If wanting to improve OOTB performances, there is a Lot of Internet\Forums support information
26. Shooting sessions account for 50% of my daily upper body workouts...well, sometimes, 100%! :roll:

Cons
1. If we continue to build this "Pros" list too much, Mnf. liable to raise MSRP 100%?! :o :shock: :( :wink:
2. To guard self against #1 potential, quickly purchase a 2nd, or even 3rd P17 at their current "Steal-of-a-Deal" pricing !!! :mrgreen:

Ted

Benjamin Trail NP .177
Umarex Trevox .177
Beeman P17 .177's (2)
Beeman P3 .177
Bear River BOA .177 (2)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6