Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Do PCP'S wear out?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:39 am 

I will be switching to an entry level PCP of some kind and am wondering how these guns stand up to heavy use.I shoot often.Are there seals, valves, etc. that wear out often? I cannot find many parts for my Nitro Venom, Phantom,etc from the Gravel Agency.Everything is coming up obsolete such as pistons, barrel assembly,etc.So I am switching to PCP'S.
Hopefully they last longer or have parts available.

Post subject: Re: Do PCP'S wear out?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 am 

Justmyluck wrote:
I will be switching to an entry level PCP of some kind and am wondering how these guns stand up to heavy use.I shoot often.Are there seals, valves, etc. that wear out often? I cannot find many parts for my Nitro Venom, Phantom,etc from the Gravel Agency.Everything is coming up obsolete such as pistons, barrel assembly,etc.So I am switching to PCP'S.

No PCP's in my house yet so no help their but have you checked out R & R Airgun Repair. I find R&R easier to deal with than Gravel Agency for parts. But I also have no complaints about Gravel Agency. As we need as many companies carrying parts as we can get. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:05 am 

Justmyluck wrote:

Contact scopes and ammo, you have to email them and ask them for the part. Should be easy being that they are all based off the same action. I ordered trigger assemblies, springs, seals, o rings etc.

As for wear. Seals go, if you run a hand pump, you'll get moisture build up and will get corrosion and rust.

There was a guy here that had a maximus with over 10K thru it. Before the seals gave up due to corrosion from hand filling. Most of the PCPs you can find O rings online.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 am 

You must be talking about me leadslinger. Yes moister is defenitly a PCP problem if hand pumped. I've switch to a bottle now, no more hand pumping for me. I shoot at least a half a tin every week and have one gun I favor so it's out every week even if I take one or two others with me. Found O rings to fit the Maximus at Rona in the pluming department. 25 for five bucks and they fit like a glove. A good cleaning inside and a few o rings and the Maximus shoots like it just came out of the box. Just love shooting this light weight gun. Very, very easy to work on.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 190.94 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 193 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 191.71 KiB | Viewed 1087 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 am 

Any mechanical device will wear out over time... this been said, a quality PCP should last a long (long) time if properly taken care for. In the last decade of shooting PCP air pistol, I've only have to replace to breach face rubber seals... and my aluminum cylinder are past their due date...

Can't complain :drinkers:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:00 am 

If you have a ten year old PCP I'm betting either you don't shoot outside much or it has corrosion inside. Mine was shot outside in the snow,rain and hot humid weather for a year and a half before it started to leak and that's the only sign it showed was when it started leaking. I bought this gun to shoot in all weather conditions not sit in a climate controlled gun cabnet and I don't consider that abuse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 am 

:axe: :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 am 

Not sure what's the point of your post :?: The OP was asking if PCP were reliable and subject to wear... I simply shared my experience.

I spend most of my air-pistol/rifle shooting time on a 10M range, or backyard plinking on sunny days... So yes, it's a nice/dry/comfortable environment. I guess I should include another disclaimer that I don't own any entry level PCP.

:partyman:

This been said, I find it odd that the OP cannot find parts for his Nitro Venom. It might be worth his while to contact Crosman directly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am 

sillymike wrote:
Not sure what's the point of your post :?: The OP was asking if PCP were reliable and subject to wear... I simply shared my experience.

I spend most of my air-pistol/rifle shooting time on a 10M range, or backyard plinking on sunny days... So yes, it's a nice/dry/comfortable environment. I guess I should include another disclaimer that I don't own any entry level PCP.

This been said, I find it odd that the OP cannot find parts for his Nitro Venom. It might be worth his while to contact Crosman directly.

Nothing odd about it.I checked the Gravel Agency with the appropriate numbers for a .177 nitro venom barrel ,pistons, etc. and it came up obsolete.I tried other model part numbers that I know would fit and it still comes up obsolete.Can't even find a muzzle brake.Maybe that's why these guns are ALL on sale on the Cabelas website.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 am 

Never mind Gravel, did you try Crosman?

As far as muzzle brake, not familiar with that specific model. But many air rifle "muzzle brake" available in the US (or the rest of the world for that matter) are considered suppressor in Canada... therefore forbidden.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:14 pm 

Crosman won't sell to Canada, at least they haven't, that is why guys use gravel agency and scopes and Ammo. If you call scopes and Ammo they should be able to help you out now problem

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:16 am 

Justmyluck wrote:
sillymike wrote:

Nothing odd about it.I checked the Gravel Agency with the appropriate numbers for a .177 nitro venom barrel ,pistons, etc. and it came up obsolete.I tried other model part numbers that I know would fit and it still comes up obsolete.Can't even find a muzzle brake.Maybe that's why these guns are ALL on sale on the Cabelas website.

Have you tried scope and ammo and just email the parts you want?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 am 

Yeah I'll have to give them a try.Would like a new barrel and muzzle brake(barrel shroud).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:43 pm 

sillymike wrote:

The point I was making is if they are used outside and hand pumped you are going to get moisture and the gun will need to come apart every once in a while for crrosion issues.
That's been my experience.

That being said,

I own higher end guns to but that doesn't make a Maximus a bad choice for a first PCP. I'd rather carry the Maximus around hunting than say my Hatsan that weights in at 11 pounds with a scope. Just saying!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 am 

*Call* Gravel with part / item # if not in stock etc. they WILL get it for you from the US. Just slightly longer wait time if part is not available & unlike some others they won't charge you x3 the price under the guise of "out of order" "expedited shipping" etc.
As for PCP those tubes/tanks etc. all have operating AND shelf life...but those more experienced with that will surely give you accurate info.