Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:44 am 

I am wanting to sell a couple of my air rifles but want to make sure I do all the correct paperwork when I do. My rifles i'm selling are over 5oo fps and I purchased with a valid FAC. What forms will I need to transfer the guns to a new owner? Thanks in advance and sorry if this info is available somewhere here that I didn't find.

Regards.

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 am 

I would insure that the Buyer is over 18 years old; and then all you have to do is ask if they have their PAL - and it they say yes - you have met your obligation as a Seller.

I would also make sure that the Buyer has some positive feedback here.

If you really want to be safe; you can request the PAL number from your Buyer (although they do not have to give it to you - but you can still refuse to sell your air guns if it you are not satisfied that the Buyer has his PAL).

HTH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am 

No forms needed. Just make sure the person your selling to has a valid FAC/PAL. Either Face to face with seeing their PAL. Or getting their PAL number, name and contacting the CFP to verify its valid. Whatever you feel comfy to make sure the person your selling them o has the license.

Don't accept scan of a scan of a scan with everything blacked out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 am 

Thanks for the tips!

Daystate Huntsman Regal XL .22
Benjamin Trail NP XL .22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:24 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
No forms needed. Just make sure the person your selling to has a valid FAC/PAL. Either Face to face with seeing their PAL. Or getting their PAL number, name and contacting the CFP to verify its valid. Whatever you feel comfy to make sure the person your selling them o has the license.

Don't accept scan of a scan of a scan with everything blacked out.

wllm995, HTH was correct. With on-line or over the phone sales, you need to ask if the buyer has a valid PAL - if the answer is YES - you can legally sell it to them. You have met the current law's requirements of you.

I still have a bit of trouble with the 'trust' factor, but that is how it is all written up - according to the NFA.

At gun shows, I demand to see the valid P.A.L. and match the face to the person wanting to buy one of my rifles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 pm 

Dont forget if you are requesting a copy of the pal, you can not keep it on file.
The prior gov made it clear you could not keep a record of the sale as its a defacto registry of sorts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

When buying a gun and the seller requests proof of PAL, I simply send a picture of my current PAL card with the numbers covered, if it's a long distance shipping deal. If it's a local deal, I will show my PAL, but not to be copied or photographed.
This way the seller has some proof he did his due diligence and I keep my license number private, as it should be.
I don't think I would sell a gun without some type of proof of PAL. When selling airguns it doesn't seem like such a big deal, but when you're selling a powder burner, it's a bit different.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 am 

I don't trust someone just saying yes I got a license. You wouldnt sell someone a NR firearm without proving he has a license? Why would you sell a PAL rated airgun? Even though how its written, still wouldn't trust someone word.

I had a member here try to buy a PAL rated airgun, he sent me

He even blacked out his name, what type of license it is. In 20 years of dealing this is the first time, I said NOPE, was not accepting it. 10s of thou in firearms, not losing them because I accepted that poor picture.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:33 am 

leadslinger wrote:
I don't trust someone just saying yes I got a license. You wouldnt sell someone a NR firearm without proving he has a license? Why would you sell a PAL rated airgun? Even though how its written, still wouldn't trust someone word.

He even blacked out his name, what type of license it is. In 20 years of dealing this is the first time, I said NOPE, was not accepting it. 10s of thou in firearms, not losing them because I accepted that poor picture.

By law, you are not required to obtain a copy of their license. You are also not permitted to retain details of the sale.
Since you cant keep a copy of their info, there really is no point in insisting on having a copy of their pal or other ID.
All you are required to do is ask if they have a pal. If they say yes, you are good to go on your end.
If you want to make sure they have a pal, you can ask for the number and call it in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

By law, you are not required to obtain a copy of their license. You are also not permitted to retain details of the sale.
Since you cant keep a copy of their info, there really is no point in insisting on having a copy of their pal or other ID.
All you are required to do is ask if they have a pal. If they say yes, you are good to go on your end.
If you want to make sure they have a pal, you can ask for the number and call it in.

I never ask for a copy of their license, that what the guy sent me. Nor do I keep a record. I only ever ask for their number. But I'm not risking court charges to fight my firearms because I took someone word they had a license, because they said YES.

Also if your pretty hostile about giving out info, then chances are they don't have a PAL. Ive done 400 + firearm sales ( pre and post registry ) I'm not losing my license over a airgun.