Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 pm 

All I am saying is that if this was the "first time he used it" there must be more than one incident here.... :roll:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:14 am 

There is another possibility. If it overheated and the oil level was low, the crankcase could have been filled with oil mist and a very hot crank or piston may have ignited it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 pm 

Looks like there was pressure where they shouldn't have been any...
- If this was a "new" pump and blew on 1st use, I'll wage $1 on a plugged vent hole.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:18 pm 

Thanks for sharing about the other story clarifying what really happened Bob. Not fair to blame the pump if the guy didn't take care of it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:58 am 

rsterne wrote:
All I am saying is that if this was the "first time he used it" there must be more than one incident here.... :roll:

Bob

Talked to the owner for some details to help would be buyers here. It was indeed his first time to use it and was instructed by the dealer to "tighten" the bleeder before operating the unit which he did by hand. Other than that he did as instructed by the dealer . Also he is using a model which was advised not to use other than to fill tanks up to 500cc ( which he was during the time of explosion). I'm not sure what model this is but looking from the pictures, it's one of those base model offered in Alibaba. I am deducing it's product quality which is suspect but again any comments from technical experts which would help buyers here in Canada is welcome. I myself is planning to get one and am on the fence whether this, or an Altaros booster which has the capability of charging air by using air,sourced from another scba or scuba tank.

Thanks for the additional informative data.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:09 pm 

That looks like the crankcase and cyl from the cheapie shop air pumps made in china that I see sold at any auto parts store for $100, but with a very different cylinder head on it, obviously. As long as it still works I'd say run it w/o the case cover. Maybe for others I'd do the same, or make a much larger hole in that cover to let such incidents vent w/o damage.
Is that water on the ground? If so why? If that case filled up with water then maybe the case ruptured due to hydraulic action? Just guessing but an actual explosion seems just as unlikely to me.

Has anyone tried to make s similar head setup to convert a regular cheapie pump? I've always wanted to make a pcp pump but too far back burner on my projects list. Maybe someone here could make some $ selling said head?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:12 pm 

Friction plus oil mist = boom. Very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:31 am 

Thanks for sharing some more info Apitagan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:38 pm 

I shared this story on the GTA, and can report that in addition to the "other" compressor that failed from lack of maintenance, there is a third compressor, identical to this one, that failed in the same way.... From Oct. 29....

Quote:
yeap mine too,just like that,notice how thin the aluminium is on the broken plate?

and then from today....

Quote:
found out why mine blew,i never installed the breathing rod,still had the screw in plug,directions on these are poor, but it does say to install breathing rod,only don,t show what the breathing rod is,i found this info from this post,so it was my bad,but still the guy is sending me the replacement part,s,which shows he is willing to stand by his product.was supposed to remove crank cap,and install the breathing i/e vent in the crank case. dah

If you look at the original photos, there is a piece of red plastic on top of the black vent tube.... According to the information on the GTA, that red plug is installed during shipping, and you are supposed to replace it with the black vent tube.... The red plug should NOT be used, so likely the failure was due to improper venting of the crankcase.... As the pressure built up in the crankcase due to blowby past the rings, the output pressure would no longer build, as reported by the owner.... Eventually, the crankcase pressure (where there should be none) blew the end off the crankcase.... Seems logical to me....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 pm 

Good to finally get a better picture of what is happening. Sounds like some dangerously poor instructions, but if installed correctly, wouldn't have happened.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 pm 

rsterne wrote:
I shared this story on the GTA, and can report that in addition to the "other" compressor that failed from lack of maintenance, there is a third compressor, identical to this one, that failed in the same way.... From Oct. 29....

Quote:
yeap mine too,just like that,notice how thin the aluminium is on the broken plate?

and then from today....

Quote:
found out why mine blew,i never installed the breathing rod,still had the screw in plug,directions on these are poor, but it does say to install breathing rod,only don,t show what the breathing rod is,i found this info from this post,so it was my bad,but still the guy is sending me the replacement part,s,which shows he is willing to stand by his product.was supposed to remove crank cap,and install the breathing i/e vent in the crank case. dah

If you look at the original photos, there is a piece of red plastic on top of the black vent tube.... According to the information on the GTA, that red plug is installed during shipping, and you are supposed to replace it with the black vent tube.... The red plug should NOT be used, so likely the failure was due to improper venting of the crankcase.... As the pressure built up in the crankcase due to blowby past the rings, the output pressure would no longer build, as reported by the owner.... Eventually, the crankcase pressure (where there should be none) blew the end off the crankcase.... Seems logical to me....

Bob

Nice observation Bob and thanks for sharing. I am guessing it's more of "user" error than the pump quality why the explosion occurred. I talked to the other members of the forum back home where the incident happened and according to them, the owner doesn't want to talk much anymore for fear of not getting his refund/replacement and being "bashed" by the group because of his doing/undoing.. This pump seems to be ok to to the job and for its value for money. Just would like to get some information about air moisture eg, how is the pump in terms of generating moisture transferred to the tanks or guns when being pumped . I saw a thread about the air filter filled with molecular sieve and it would be another cost to add to this project.. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:54 pm 

rsterne wrote:

Bob

OP pictures had the breather installed...it is the longer tube with a red insert on top.

like this

the shipping non-breather plug looks like this

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:19 pm 

I have never had, or seen, one of these compressors.... There were pics shown on the GTA, and the red plug was not supposed to be installed in the top of the black breather, according to the guys that own them....

Regardless of whether or not the top of the breather should be red or black.... it seems the mystery has been solved.... The breather was not installed and/or not working properly, and crankcase pressure that should not be there built up until it blew the end off the crankcase....

Bob