Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:16 am 

Dan Wesson 715

What a fantastic heavy metal! The shiny mirror finish just keep me busy wiping it, let me remember the first smart phone I own....

It looks shooting a little bit low even the rear sight already set to maximum high. Just got it in the evening, tomorrow in the day time will sight it in again~ maybe get it a scope or red dot would be a good idea ?? [emoji16]

And the case is coming on the way ~ a must buy after you got the revolver !ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG mobile

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:31 am 

I had an issue with mine with the sight. I grinded the front sight down a bit and touched it up with tremclad rust paint.
I tried several different optics and none fit the top rail. You may have to buy the goofy looking accessory rail they sell for it if you want to mount one.
Congrats on the new addition.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:23 am 

Thanks !

Yeah, maybe grind down the front sight is a good way.

The DW mount is too pricey! I didn't try to mount things on the top rail yet. But there said we can use it to mount although it will scratch the finish. Actually it is not working??

This gun tend to shoot low. While I aligned the rear and front sights to the eye level object, I saw my pose on the mirror, the gun looks exactly pointing down not horizontal...

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm 

If the sights are replicated correctly, the muzzle will point below (higher front sight than rear sight) the intended mark when sights are aligned at a target at say, 25yards.

With powder burning revolvers and pistols, recoil induced elevation is the reason for this 'somewhat odd-appearing set-up'.

For example, check out the disparity between the front and rear sight heights on this revolver, a model 10 S&W M&P. This appears to be a "C" serial number, but otherwise is identical to my issue 5" bl. S#D350339 revolver in 1972.

The same thing is also true of my .54 cal. Flintlock pistol. The rear 'sight' is 2 pin-heads on the tang, barely sticking above the breech. Note the height of the front sight. The barrel is swamped in profile and the muzzle is actually only a few thousandths smaller in diameter than the breech is across the flats. This pistol, even though the front sight is higher than the rear sight with the muzzle pointing down, the gun is "on" the top of the blade at 50 yards.

1st on top, is an English Oficer's smoothbore Flintlock pistol, period about 1770, built by my bro.

Attachments:
Taylor's Holster Pistol 2.JPG
Taylor's Holster Pistol 2.JPG [ 372.07 KiB | Viewed 1818 times ]
English Holster Pistol .54 1.JPG
English Holster Pistol .54 1.JPG [ 95.79 KiB | Viewed 1818 times ]
Muzzle .54 Eng. Pistol.JPG
Muzzle .54 Eng. Pistol.JPG [ 382.71 KiB | Viewed 1819 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 pm 

The line of sight, will either point down and cross the bore axis or go up over. It will never be the same.

My PPC 9mm, Its fixed sights and never shoots POA/POI. Its zeroed for 25, so closer range I need to aim low.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the inputs! Learned something new again today ~

Last evening I was doing the initial shooting with the 715 off hand in the back yard. This afternoon, I found some support and sight in the gun again and everting worked much better now and I don't need to grind down the front sight to get it sighted in well for 10 yards ranger [emoji29]

The gun is not making a very tight group on paper targets. But when used it to shoot some free targets like pop cans here and there, it worked surprisingly well~

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~