Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 pm 

Hey just got my brand new DW 715 6" pellet version from Ark and then have the case from Replica-airguns. Although the case looks not designed for the 715 serials but it's still a great look after putting the gun in it!

And I gave 5 stars over 5 for the out looking of the gun.

After sight-in the rear sight of the 715, I found it is not having a very tight group. Anyway it's still very fun to shoot a large revolver like that especially the 715 uses the rear-in shell and no more screw (up) with the plastic caps in the previous DW revolvers.

And this evening, while I enjoying my wiping on the shining surface of the 715 and put in back and take it out again and again with the case. I noticed something odd... looking from the muzzle, this 715 just like a .22 not a .177 barrel... And then I used my cleaning rod of my 1322 to insert it into the barrel from the muzzle, I put almost 4 inches into the barrel!!

SO! I doubt the "rifled" barrel of this 6 inch 715 actually is just 2 (or maybe 2.5) inch which is their shortest barrel version?? And the outer 4 inch actually just like an extender only?!

That's no wonder pellets went through a 6 inches long rifled barrel can NOT make a tight group in a 10 feet range...

Sigh... a little bit disappointed. But still okay as it's for completing my collection and I can't find any other revolver looks better than it (I don't like the old west peacemaker look) IMO and I am not going to use it to do pest-control... Maybe I should get a BB version?

FWB300SU#Tau-7#IZH-46M#FWB-65#CP88-C
~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 pm 

Well, though not a 715, my 8'' DW bb revolver has 7'' of true barrel, and it's surprisingly accurate. Really love it! I saw good comments on the 6'' Nickel too.

Attachments:
DW_8.JPG
DW_8.JPG [ 64.83 KiB | Viewed 1071 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:35 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Hey just got my brand new DW 715 6" pellet version from Ark and then have the case from Replica-airguns. Although the case looks not designed for the 715 serials but it's still a great look after putting the gun in it!

And I gave 5 stars over 5 for the out looking of the gun.

After sight-in the rear sight of the 715, I found it is not having a very tight group. Anyway it's still very fun to shoot a large revolver like that especially the 715 uses the rear-in shell and no more screw (up) with the plastic caps in the previous DW revolvers.

And this evening, while I enjoying my wiping on the shining surface of the 715 and put in back and take it out again and again with the case. I noticed something odd... looking from the muzzle, this 715 just like a .22 not a .177 barrel... And then I used my cleaning rod of my 1322 to insert it into the barrel from the muzzle, I put almost 4 inches into the barrel!!

SO! I doubt the "rifled" barrel of this 6 inch 715 actually is just 2 (or maybe 2.5) inch which is their shortest barrel version?? And the outer 4 inch actually just like an extender only?!

That's no wonder pellets went through a 6 inches long rifled barrel can NOT make a tight group in a 10 feet range...

Sigh... a little bit disappointed. But still okay as it's for completing my collection and I can't find any other revolver looks better than it (I don't like the old west peacemaker look) IMO and I am not going to use it to do pest-control... Maybe I should get a BB version?
That's why I think maybe I should get a BB version so I won't worry about the 2 inch barrel pretending a 6 inch barrel...

But the rear in pellet shell looks better than the head in BB shell...ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~
HW 30s/35e/97k/40+Extender/P3+Scope/70#CZ200s Laminated@10fpe#AA ProSport-177@12fpe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:33 am 

Or just get a S&W or a Crosman. That uses a clip. Then the pellet doesn't gotta travel thru a fake shell and lose velocity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:10 am 

Yikes! You got me worried.
I have examined my 715 pellet version:
The rifled barrel is recessed 1/2 inch in from the muzzle and runs about 5 1/2 inches to the mid point above the cylinder release latch.
It is fully rifled that distance. I cannot push a .22 cleaning mop from the entry to the recessed rifled barrel from muzzle .

My indoor shooting is seated with a rest @ 18 feet with my hands/ wrist supported as it is too front heavy for me with unsupported two hand hold. I usually get 3/4 inch groups with a small laser on top . Not on par with a S&W 686 but not bad. Longer distance with most CO2 pistols would open up groups.

The few reviews on the internet suggest the shorter barrel 715 is not as accurate but more balanced.
If , with another look you don't find this measurement compares with mine, you may have a factory defect.

I also have the 715 steel BB which is as accurate.This model does require frequently turning the push rod that spins the cylinder and eject the shells as it works loose and makes it difficult to open cylinder release latch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:36 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
Yikes! You got me worried.
I have examined my 715 pellet version:
The rifled barrel is recessed 1/2 inch in from the muzzle and runs about 5 1/2 inches to the mid point above the cylinder release latch.
It is fully rifled that distance. I cannot push a .22 cleaning mop from the entry to the recessed rifled barrel from muzzle .

My indoor shooting is seated with a rest @ 18 feet with my hands/ wrist supported as it is too front heavy for me with unsupported two hand hold. I usually get 3/4 inch groups with a small laser on top . Not on par with a S&W 686 but not bad. Longer distance with most CO2 pistols would open up groups.

The few reviews on the internet suggest the shorter barrel 715 is not as accurate but more balanced.
If , with another look you don't find this measurement compares with mine, you may have a factory defect.

I also have the 715 steel BB which is as accurate.This model does require frequently turning the push rod that spins the cylinder and eject the shells as it works loose and makes it difficult to open cylinder release latch.
Do you have other .177 pellet guns in the house ? Can you compare the size of the two barrels for me?

It's hard to say a defective one just has a completely different size barrel...

My cleaning rod is a homemade one from a long banboo chop stick which might be slightly smaller than .22 cal. Anyway, I can insert it into the 6 inch barrel for about 4 inches and can not even insert any into my all other. 177 pellet guns from the muzzle...

I did slightly touch the inner wall of the barrel, it feels like rifled and 100% none smooth. But the size of the barrel... maybe I should contact ASG to look for an answer. This is a final sale from Ark, I can just bring it back....

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:47 pm 

illuminate the barrel from both ends with a light source. Use a piece of white paper at the breech loading end and shine light from muzzle while trying to see barrel and length of rifling. It is unlikely that ASG will respond to a consumer question

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:53 pm 

Yep. ..just checked its website, it won't answer consumer questions...
I see, just don't have the flash light handy and not doing that yet, I will post some more pictures tomorrow as I think I can get a digital measurement tool to check it out too. ..

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 am 

YepYep wrote:
I will post some more pictures tomorrow as I think I can get a digital measurement tool to check it out too.

illuminating as below.

And my clean rod size is about 0.2 inch and the tip is about 0.14/0.15 inch

And I insert the rod into the barrel carefully alongside the inner wall and stop while it touched something this time. I put about 3.3 inch into the barrel.

From the below pictures you can see there is a black ring in between the obviously rifled area and the outer barrel area. I believe the 3.3 inch is from muzzle through the smooth (maybe not smooth as the BB gun barrel ? B/C I feel it's not like, umm, sliky smooth, while I put the rod in.) barrel area to this neck. And then, there is the 2 inch or 2.5 inch rifled barrel.

It's not 100% bad as a bigger muzzle opening looks better.

But I think if the 715 6 inch pellet version can have a true 6 inch rifled barrel and use the head in shell will greatly improve the muzzle speed and accuracy!

I still think while we press the trigger, and the pellet flies through the shell for 1 inch (non-rifled of course), and get into the rifled barrel for 3 inches, then get into a bigger but smooth barrel for another 3 inches then leaves tbe muzzle just have something odd....

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 am 

YepYep wrote:
I see, just don't have the flash light handy and not doing that yet, I will post some more pictures tomorrow as I think I can get a digital measurement tool to check it out too. ..

Sent from my LG mobile

You know you got a flashlight mode on your phone?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 pm 

I still stand by my measurement for rifled barrel start/stop. I don't have a black ring which, in your photo looks like a O ring.
Hopefully other 715 pellet owners can weigh in on this puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
YepYep wrote:

Sent from my LG mobile

You know you got a flashlight mode on your phone?
Yep. ..but. .. i need to use my phone to take photo right ? [emoji29]

And a real flash light is anyway better than the LED dot on the phone...

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm 

ten-ring wrote:
I still stand by my measurement for rifled barrel start/stop. I don't have a black ring which, in your photo looks like a O ring.
Hopefully other 715 pellet owners can weigh in on this puzzle.
Nope ~ it's not a 'o-ring', just the neck between the rifled and non-rifled area. As the light is coming out from the rear side, so it's dark out on the photo and looks like a black ring. ..

Sent from my LG mobile

~Target~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 pm 

I give you my opinion, Try different ammo in it i'm sure you will find some that group better even with the short barrel.