Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:03 pm 

While placing an online order for an unrelated item I came across this.
Hard to believe that 2 years after I ordered mine inflation hasn't caught up to it. Still only $99.97 at walyworld - and that includes shipping to your door.

For anyone wondering these aren't refurbs. New in original box. I see this fine Diana 34 clone as good a bargain as the P17 and the Daisy 953 (the original one, not the overpriced Beeman version after they took over the Daisy company). One heavy, long beast at 44" long. Beautiful wood too and decent open sights with adjustable trigger. At this price a must-have.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ruger-airh ... 0071263695

Attachments:
AirHawk in Walzymart.jpg
AirHawk in Walzymart.jpg [ 30.78 KiB | Viewed 2405 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:18 am 

Well.…the Crosman Optimus was on sale at Canadian Tire for $150.00 but I passed on it...don't really need another gun but this Ruger is too hard to pass up......nice......for $100.00 :shock: .....so I ordered one....thanks for bringing it to our attention.....I forgot all about Walmart in regards to airguns.......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:38 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Well.…the Crosman Optimus was on sale at Canadian Tire for $150.00 but I passed on it...don't really need another gun but this Ruger is too hard to pass up......nice......for $100.00 :shock: .....so I ordered one....thanks for bringing it to our attention.....I forgot all about Walmart in regards to airguns.......

Just to tempt you a little more, The Optimus at Cabela's for $129.00 also with free shipping. They are both cheap Chinese rifles with junk glass, but the Optimus is more elegant in my opinion.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/58528/crosman-optimus-air-rifle-w-scope

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:12 am 

Yeah...they are cheap....but they tune up well :D The Ruger is getting a power upgrade and tune of course....but I could still use a non pal Optimus....thanks.....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:18 am 

MyCrosman wrote:

Welcome, and happy to see this post had an impact. At under hundred bux this should be a part of anyone's collection. You simply won't find a gun with this level of finish and decent trigger at this price. This is the gun that got me interested in springers and only due to the low cost from the walmart online deal. That was 2 years ago and for the price not to change is a surprise. Reading the reviews on the walmart site, it seems the price hasn't changed in the last 5 years. So I say nab them while you can. Simply can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Yeah...they are cheap....but they tune up well :D The Ruger is getting a power upgrade and tune of course....but I could still use a non pal Optimus....thanks.....

Fully agree...I have 2 of each, all 4 worked on and gave one of each of them to my son. They clean up "very" well.

EDIT: I've mentioned many times in previous posts I'm not an airgun snob :) I love the oddball, cheap stuff...probably because the effort vs reward is so pronounced. I have boatloads of the side and under lever Chinese stuff in various models, some completed and some in parts. Even refinished some of the packing crate wood they use for stocks with good results.

Lets face it, I take a Brocock or Weihrauch out of storage and there is ZERO chance I'm going to modify it...just shoot it, clean it, put it away again...almost no fun :)

Last edited by ITGUY on Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:43 am 

please stop tempting me. I just bought the surge. I don't want to have to buy two vortek kits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 am 

Wrong. I shall continue to torment you with reasons to get that Ruger and here's why: a costly Vortex kit isn't needed. Leadslinger can give us the details on which spring works to bring it up to full power - something I plan to do but just haven't had the time yet. Think he said these springs cost under $20. Give it a tune and you'll have the best possible value on a full power springer for under $120.
Since you already have a 953 the only thing missing is a P17. Get these and you can claim to have the 3 best value in airguns around.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 am 

Rob at R&R Airgun Repair out in Winnipeg is an Umarex dealer and can order the full power spring for the Ruger if that is what you want. Same for the Surge.

The Optimus is interesting as well....you can do a full power spring \ piston conversion, or a full power Nitro Piston conversion, or like I did on one of mine, a de-tuned Nitro Piston conversion.
I dont think anyone would argue that a Nitro Piston shot cycle is much smoother than a coil spring (it is).

There is also a member here that posted some pictures and instructions on his modifications to an Optimus...I think he ended up sort of in the middle of the power range and is pretty happy with everything he did.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:44 am 

I actually prefer sub 600 fps as these are my basement shooters. I'd rather not have to deal lead dust or littering pellets everywhere from ricochets. What I want from the kits is the smoother shot cycle. Anything to assist with my accuracy. If I can get similar reduction in vibration in a cheaper option by all means I'm there. I'll buy two and the ruger as well from the $$ I saved.

I've given the p17 much thought. Great price. I may up with one but my next air pistol will be a 2300t.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:59 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I found this deal a few years ago, bought a few of them. I have absolutely no need for another, yet every time I see a post like this I get tempted, only because a good deal is hard to pass up. I'm staying strong!

One thing I noticed when upgrading them, the Uramex Chinese parts (piston seal, spring) cost about the same as Diana. I would rather pay for Diana parts than Uramex if they are the same price.
I get frustrated when I see the difference in prices for seals in particular. A seal for a B-18 (Optimus, Phantom, Quest, etc.) last time I ordered from Gravel was around $2 if my memory serves me correctly. How can a similar seal cost $20?

Last edited by Woody on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

I don't think a Diana 34 spring will fit the Ruger guide. (It didn't fit mine) The Ruger guide is larger in diameter than the Diana guide, so the Ruger guide will not fit inside the Diana spring. You must order a spring with the larger inside diameter. Best to order from Rob Mazur in Manitoba. The parts will fit.

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:59 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

They worked for me. Where did you get your Diana spring from?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 pm 

I like my Ruger Airhawks. They shoot 550, 687 and 942 FPS. It is how I began tearing pellet guns apart to work on and get comfortable doing it. Everyone needs an Airhawk. CHEERS!

Seen on GunNutz a 495 FPS Ruger Airhawk for $140. It has not been selling. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 pm 

The Air Hawk, in my opinion, isn't a gun that belongs in the under 500fps category. It's just too damn heavy and long for this mediocre speed. I had more fun shooting its smaller cousin, the Ruger Explorer more than this heavy, long guy. Since both gave me the same speed, the Explorer was a lot less labour to shoot.

My intent, since getting my PAL was to put in a full power spring in this gun. But lack of time meant putting all of my airgun projects on hold. Yes, having a new baby does that to you. But I fully intend to give the Air Hawk a new spring and a Chevota tune up in the very near future. Then it should be pleasant to shoot I hope. As is, in its sub 500fps configuration, it's a harsh, twangy gun that begs to be converted to full power.

So, for anyone considering getting this bargain gun, it should be viewed as a great rifle if you have a PAL and plan to improve its speed. I mean, if you must put up with all that weight might as well get some speed out of it. Else you're better off with the smaller cousin. But hey, for the price even if your plan is to use it as a basement shooter, why not? The scope is decent enough and overall it truly is a nice gun. This is the nicest finished gun I have. It even beats my Slavia 630 in the finish dept. It just doesn't shoot as nice but that's something I plan to address when the time comes.

Bottom line: get it given the incredible price for such a nice machine. And the original Daisy 953. And a P17. Then a 2240. Having your basis covered means a good start into the airgun world. As much as I hate wallyworld, I have to give them credit for giving these away.