Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 am 

I find my new Ruger is not very accurate. But, I am new to air rifles, so I wonder if I may need to change pellets? Can someone who owns an Air Hawk give me some idea what to expect for accuracy and also suggest a pellet that works best in their rifle? Regards, David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 am 

How many shots have you put through the ah? I think the break in period is north of 500. My surge took over 1000 shots before it calmed down. Both the surge and ah are diana 34 clones and the 34 which is known for accuracy. The ah it is a clone and build quality may be a issue. My surge had a horrible crown, there is a tight spot in the barrel, and the piston seal was nicked. For sure your ah is hold sensitive. Would be a good thing to watch some videos on the artillery hold. Regularly check that all the screws are appropriately tight, barrel hinge, stock, and scope.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:03 pm 

It would not have more than a hundred through it. I will asl check the barrel for tight spots and also check the crown. I had already gone through the screws making sure all were tight. I will continue on with shooting it. Waiting to hear if pellets make a big difference.
Thanks, David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:10 pm 

The pellets make a large difference. Try some different brands shapes and weights. My springer doesnt like tight fitting or copper coated pellets for example. Ones that slide into the breech tent to do best.

HN has a sweet sample pack on ebay and amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm 

Found JSB Exact and Heavys work best. Also shoots Grizzly fine, but they are dirty.
Was shooting all weekend with Exacts and Grizzlys. Marshmallows at 60ft.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:44 pm 

Basic problem with most buyers of the high speed air rifles, is the use of light-weight pellets, afterall, they bought those rifles to shoot as fast as or faster than a .22LR.

Some stores know the failing of this and tell these customers to buy the heaviest pellets they can find to slow the rifles down. The local Wholesale Sport gun staff now

know this and sells them the 10.5gr. Crossman Ultra Magnums for the .177's. Unfortuneatley, there is not an easily found .22 cal that is much over 14.3gr. but those will

be better than the 10gr. alloys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 am 

Thanks to all who replied here. Much good info. I am off to my local store to buy a selection of pellets this morning. Will play with it and enjoy. David