Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:47 am 

Greetings!
New member here from Ottawa and new to the hobby. On the weekend Canadian Tire had the Daisy Power line 340 pistol on sale for $30 so I picked one up along with 1500 Copperhead BBs. You see we have a mouse problem in the old centre town place I currently reside in and since the cheap traps I have are ineffective I figured this would be an interesting alternative. After a few test shots from 6-8 feet away at my makeshift paper targets I determined that this cheap spring pistol is pretty accurate! The morning after I got it I dispatched one of the varmints while he was hiding in my waste basket! His partner took off in a hurry....lol

I now setup a little bait station in a corner while some early mornings I sit and wait with pistol ready waiting for a mouse to appear. This morning a mouse walked out, seemed to eyeball the bait but took off. The best part is the window to my second floor unit was open with no screen and a squirrel decides to walk in with a load of nest making crap in his mouth but before he could get past the sill I shot at him (gun was cocked ready to shoot) and of course I missed but it scared the squirrel so bad he disappeared like Houdini.... LOL!

That is the hunting report from Ottawa... :rolleyes: :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am 

Welcome!

At 240 fps with steel BBs I think most would agree that this is an extremely marginal power level to take live game, even mice at point blank range, perhaps one ought to consider something a little more powerful firing lead pellets for more responsible pest control, though more collateral damage might be something you have to live with. That being said, if you're putting down bait then you cal also have an adequate backstop.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:38 am 

PZAM wrote:
Welcome!

At 240 fps with steel BBs I think most would agree that this is an extremely marginal power level to take live game, even mice at point blank range, perhaps one ought to consider something a little more powerful firing lead pellets for more responsible pest control, though more collateral damage might be something you have to live with. That being said, if you're putting down bait then you cal also have an adequate backstop.

Thanks for the reply and welcome! :)

Also much thanks with the advice. Very true on the 240 fps. Having looked at some tests of cheap spring BB pistols on YouTube I would think it's more like 200 fps in reality. However it did stun and eventually kill the little varmint in the waste basket after hitting it 3 times from about 3 feet away. Of course we are not always that close. ;) Right now I do set up a simple cloth backstop in the corner behind my little peanut butter bait station to stop the BB's from bouncing off the wall.

Yes, I have also been looking at higher powered BB/pellet rifles/guns (still under 500 fps) for taking care of these little pests and that is probably going to be my next future air gun purchase. However I am on a somewhat limited budget at this time. I do like the looks of the Crosman 1377c pellet pistol which can be modified with a shoulder stock and upgraded with a scope so it can be used more like a rifle. Cabelas have them for about $80.

All that being said this Powerline 340 is a fun little indoor paper target plinker and for me being a beginner it's simple and fun to learn with. I admit it is fun to practice shoot my little paper targets which are taped to an open box which catches my BB's. I have already put 200-300 rounds through it without an issue. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 am 

T. Clark wrote:
However it did stun and eventually kill the little varmint in the waste basket after hitting it 3 times from about 3 feet away. Of course we are not always that close.

If it takes more than one shot then you are definitely not within suitable limits, even if they are pests then you owe it to your quarry to be quickly dispatched. A Crosman 1377 or better yet 1322 would be a suitable choice, there aren't any mice that will still be breathing after a solid hit with a 0.22 pellet at 495 fps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:09 am 

Welcome to the site Mr. Clark. Just a thought before you shoot your house up. Check out this easy and cheap mouse trap that works like you wouldn't believe. You can make your own roller out of all most anything. Check out the log roller mouse trap on youtube :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:38 am 

A Daisy 340 definitely does not have enough power to dispatch any pest humanely!

Leave it for target practice only - and buy something with more power (the 1377 would do the job just fine at max 10 pumps) to kill your small pests.

If you are on budget:

The Pumpmaster 760 kit available at CT for only $43 would be a better choice...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8572604e

Or this:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8711343e

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:52 pm 

Thanks everyone for all the advice and after having looked at YouTube videos of the Crosman 1377 pellet pistol I am very impressed with it's power and accuracy. From what I have seen it is most accurate with the shoulder stock installed. The gun can also be gradually upgraded as finances allow. This looks like an ideal choice for my situation.

I am also a bit of a collector and don't mind having more than one air gun to shoot at targets with. I do plan to obtain a C02 gun or two in the future as well.

This forum seems very informative and I will be lurking and reading many of the interesting posts here. :)

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:59 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
A Daisy 340 definitely does not have enough power to dispatch any pest humanely!

Leave it for target practice only - and buy something with more power (the 1377 would do the job just fine at max 10 pumps) to kill your small pests.

If you are on budget:

The Pumpmaster 760 kit available at CT for only $43 would be a better choice...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8572604e

Or this:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8711343e

Wow! Those look interesting! Especially the variable pump rifle that shoots both pellets and BB's. I had no idea that Princess Auto sold air guns. Both these rifles are definitely in my price range and are half the price of the 1377.
You say that CT sells both these guns too? I will have to check! We do have Princess Auto here too.

Thanks!