Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: To PAL or Not PAL
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 pm 

Hi Gunners,

Just posted in the introduction section not long ago but a quick recap. I recently bought a Benjamin Classic .22 a few weeks ago and it's been a lot of fun plinking in the garage but I can feel the addiction already. I love the looks of a HW100 etc but seeing how I live in Toronto is it worth getting a PAL ( I think I know the answer given this is a air gun forum)? I have a buddy north of Peterborough with some land we can use but 95% of my time will be in the city most likely. Looked into ranges but not too many close to Toronto anymore and the ones that are seem pricey.

My question is how many here enjoy the hobby with no pal and keeping sub 500?

I just think a PAL opens up more options but I want to be practical too and curious of peoples thoughts

Post subject: Re: To PAL or Not PAL
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 pm 

I own some powder burners but enjoy shooting non PAL airguns more. Power burners cost way to much money to shoot everyday. Plus I shoot my pellet guns in the house at 27 feet. Target distance is normally only 33 feet. (10 meters) CHEERS! and Welcome to the forum. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 pm 

Sub-PAL is fine for up to 30 yards in my experience.

Also, there is an airgun club in Toronto - GTAC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm 

if you dive into pal, you get more option, but remember the more options you have the more money goes out of the pocket, because your not only purchasing ammo, you also purchasing more guns and proper storage and membership.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 pm 

Good info so far. I should maybe clarify a bit more I would only be interested in higher fps air rifles and not powder burners so to speak. I understand the higher fps rifles require the same storage regulations etc.

Maybe I need to stop watching videos on youtube. Lol Although I did pickup a couple UK air gun magazines which are pretty intresting and thats what peeked my intrest in higher fps rifles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 am 

My QB78, out of box it was a sub 500 fps and after my upgrades the license is a must especially if you want to visit places. Same with a pistol, because of the barrel length some can lean into RPAL. Now in contrast to a powder gun with these air toys you can play in your basement or a park/forest or at any chosen farmland...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 am 

For your current use, there is little to nothing to gain by thinking PAL. If you've really got the disease, you'll know when you "need" more power. Having said that, grab a PAL at your leisure; then you will be ready when the "need" arises. :wink: 8).

As for GTAC, it was inspiring to watch that club come together on this forum, but I don't know if it's currently active. Murray (Plinkercases) has not directly addressed the question on the forum. I suggest you PM him, cuz if it's still active, it is a great venue option for those in the GTA area.

And indeed. welcome aboard. Get crazy (about air guns). :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:48 am 

Thanks for the plug Murray E as always!

GTAC is alive and almost well..... still a gang hanging together and shooting together every Monday and the odd day at the farm... still looking for a place to call our own and go 24/7... we welcome new members and visitors and sponsors and friends.

Drop me a line at info@torontoairgunclub.org

As for PAL there is no harm in getting it and then you have flexibility if you find a dream gun AG 500 plus or PB..... if I recall correctly you can get PAL with out having to be a club member but to get RPAL you need a gun club membership... but then again why would not you be if you are getting a psitoli!

Warning though once you get your PAL and a PB.... its a whole new slippery slope!!!

Murray

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:38 pm 

For me it came down to the $, since you mentioned hw, I saw no point in buying a quality airgun that was crippled.

That being said, some of my flip target need more power to work, 400fps in 22 @10m works. Other then that, sub 500 are as much fun when used at proper distances then pal rated, but on longer distances outside, doesnt take a lot of wind to move a lightweight 177 sub 500 off course.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:39 pm 

I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone, it's good to see lots of people shooting sub 500 and saying they enjoy it. I'm going to look into the GTAC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 pm 

Plinkercases wrote:
Thanks for the plug Murray E as always!

GTAC is alive and almost well..... still a gang hanging together and shooting together every Monday and the odd day at the farm... still looking for a place to call our own and go 24/7... we welcome new members and visitors and sponsors and friends.

Drop me a line at info@torontoairgunclub.org

As for PAL there is no harm in getting it and then you have flexibility if you find a dream gun AG 500 plus or PB..... if I recall correctly you can get PAL with out having to be a club member but to get RPAL you need a gun club membership... but then again why would not you be if you are getting a psitoli!

Warning though once you get your PAL and a PB.... its a whole new slippery slope!!!

Murray

Welcome back, stranger. :D It appears, though, that you have lost your identity while you were gone. You are Murray E; I am Murray W. :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:32 am 

Get your PAL if you want it. Nothing wrong with a very accurate 22. You still shoot Game birds and varmits effectively .
Who needs restricted PAL to shoot something you basically can barely get to gun range legally.
Normal PAL lets you buy (ammo and shoot some amazing rifles). The list is to huge to list.
I want a Henry rifle. I'm going to get it. I don't need it for hunting, any kind of assault. A beautiful piece of equipment. Get it. The restricted PAL is another story.
Basement Shooter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:45 am 

It takes 0ne day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:06 am 

I am also new to the hobby having just purchased my first Daisy air pistol. I think there are enough options in the sub 500 fps range of guns to keep occupied for years to come. Having a PAL wouldn't do me any good since I don't hunt and have no interest in conventional guns. For me it's just too much of a hassle in terms of storage and expense.

I am also looking to join an air club in my area as funds will allow since I live in an urban area and would like to shoot at a range with longer target distances. I am really more interested in target shooting or plinking and collecting some cool air guns. Like I mentioned, I have no interest in hunting unless it's for one of the small rodents that inhabit my building. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:21 am 

T. Clark wrote:
I am also looking to join an air club in my area as funds will allow since I live in an urban area and would like to shoot at a range with longer target distances.

Other than the RACenter I don't know of any official airgun clubs. There is a group here that hold ft events during the year.

On topic, the first ag I reach for is my 12ftlb surge. Knocks down field targets with authority and cuts super clean holes in paper with flat head pellets. I do have more accurate choices but it's the surge that puts a smile on my face. I found the pal course itself a lot of fun. Not cheap but after waiting 25 years after my fac expired well worth the price. Anyone would definitely learn a few things about gun safety which would serve you well whether you shoot pal rated or not.