Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 am 

N.I.B. :mrgreen:

It's supposed to be a "weathered look" finish. Would of preferred basic blued real steel myself, but that's just me.

Grips are a little on the slick side outta the box- a lot of grease based preservative went into, and on, this revolver. The bore was fairly packed with it. Nice sharply cut Ballard style rifling once the yak fat's out. Think they borrowed a page or two from walther's book on this, and a few other rifled umarex pistols I own....

Front sight is plastic, and there are two spares packed in the box with the pistol.

Pellet cartridge is not the same as the ones that came with the 5 1/2" Umarex Colt SAA pellet model. These appear to have a gas seal step similar to what's on the 1875 Remington cartridges. I'll need to get a white card and bore light to check the cylinder chambers for a seal step shoulder.

Low glare sights, front and rear, thankfully.

Not Blondie's silver rattler, but still fairly decent..

"6 perfectly timed shots, eh little one?" :wink:

"Revolvers!" REVOLVERS!!!" Tuco would have loved the more than tactile clicks on this 4 clicker.

Results of 7 cylinders at 7 paces. Out of 42 shots, 4 missed- on a highly varied mix of different pellets.

This hole was the entry point for most of them. I was wearing my readers to shoot. Last cylinder put all 6 Daisy hollow points into an 8 oz. coffee cup at the same 7 paces. First cylinder shot out of the gun on paper sprayed all over.

She's a gas sipper- by my count, 60 usable shots from a 12 gram Daisy bulb.

Very, very nice trigger on this gun. The trigger alone is worth all the cash cost and up front efforts to get this one. (more on that in a while)

I think this one is going to "shoot-in" quite nicely! One of my better a/g buys!

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:17 am 

Doc,

Thanks for the great review.

I agree, I prefer the look of the blued Colts. This one looks good in its own right, which is a nice effect. And a great trigger.

It will be interesting to see if the cylinders are cut different to match the difference with the pellet cartridges.

Tuco and Blondie! I need to re-watch some movies. :D Wouldn't it be a blast to be able to go in and assemble a selection of pieces to 'build' your own pistol!

Glad to hear you you like it. Looking forward to the rest of the story on it.

Cheers!

ColdAir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 am 

Great looking pistol there Doc! Looks like it is a fun shooter as well and has a great shot count. Lots of fun times to be had with that one and a nice collector's item as well. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:34 pm 

I wasn't expecting anyone to catch on to the good, the bad, and the ugly references that quickly. :mrgreen:
Think there's more of us here from the same time-frame than what I thought.

Gun almost went back. I bought it at wpg. Cabela's, and ran out to the car to check it out.
Gun was locked up tight with the safety on, and I couldn't dislodge it. Back in I went, and the nice young lady at customer service dislodged it with a sharp finger nail. Cabela's built their reputation on customer relations, and it's nice to see they've still hung on to that business model.

Got sticker shocked at the till. I knew it was priced at 219.00 c.a.d. Add on gst, pst and the store's outdoor heritage fund 61 cents, and it came out just shy of 250.00 even.

Had a look at the cylinder this a.m., and sure enough, there's a step milled into the chambers wall. I'll try and see if the Colt SAA cartridges will fit tonight, but I'm not going to force them. It would be nice to see these pellet cartridges standardized some day, but that's highly unlikely to happen. I'll have to be careful about mixing the cases...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:40 pm 

A few more photo's...

Front sight removed...

Ejector rod in operation....

Ejector rod poking out rear of cylinder...

Will have a few more later...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:46 am 

Pellet seated in one of the cartridges. Crosman milk carton field/hunting point.

Tried an un-stepped pellet cartridge out of the Colt, and it goes in without any problem. It appears the cartridge diameters are different- the cases from the Colt are a loose, rattly fit in the umarex. I'll have to dig out the calipers and mike them. Won't start inter-changing between guns yet...

Three single action revolvers. The one on the bottom has the best trigger... :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:30 pm 

Fabulous review and pics Doc! Pls let us know if the Colt SAA cartridges can be used on this "Ace in The Hole". If they can be interchanged and cause no problems, I just might pick one up as I love the weathered look.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 pm 

Did a little more checking and found that the Colt pellet cartridges are also a loose fit in the Colt. :roll:
Haven't tried shooting them in the pocket model yet. I'll probably get the same front and rear blow-by as I do in the Colt.
(The Colt cartridges are a quite loose drop in fit in the Pocket Ace)

Question now is how well do the pocket model cartridges gas seal in the Colt?
Pellet seals on the pocket Ace appear to be a little longer than the Colt...

Grips inter-change quite easily on the C0-2 cover side- in fact, the same numbers appear on both grips.

Shooting time is hard to come by lately. Still have to chrony all 3 pictured above....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:37 am 

Thanks Doc! I look forward to the chrony numbers for the Ace in the hole.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 am 

I got 72 shots off a Daisy 12 gram C0-2 tonight with the little ace in the hole.
That bulb averaged 335.7 fps with the 7.4 gr Crosman Premier points.
A gentle curve can be discerned by averaging the 6 shot cylinders.
From 332.7 fps to a high of 350.9 fps for 2 cylinders, and then the curve slopes gradually downward. By cylinder # 12, it's down to 325.3.

I am impressed.

The Colt pellet cartridges did not seem to make any difference- they averaged 336.4 over 6 shots.
The pellet cartridges from the 1875 Remington fit and functioned in the pocket ace okay, but velocity was down by quite a bit.
They only averaged 309.4 fps. They are probably not gas sealing properly due to the reduced outside diameter at the nose.

Ran the Colt SAA over the chrony while I had it out...

Bulb average 354.3 for 66 shots with the same Crosman points. I did not want to risk going any further than 11 cylinders because of the rapid velocity drop off on that final cylinder. The SAA curves somewhat flatter than the Ace- I got 5 cylinders that were consistently within the same velocity range.

FWIW, that roughly 20 fps difference between the 2 revolvers may not seem like much.... However :wink: , at 7 paces on the bottom of a soda can, the SAA will pierce. The pocket model simply puts a dent in the can end. Just something to chew on.

As for method, I shot slow and steady, allowing 30-45 seconds between shots to prevent the C0-2 from over cooling and creating low velocities.

I'm going to have look around and see if Lyman is still making their old sight-black concoction for the chromed SAA. I shoot tighter with the ace in the hole simply because of the better visibility of it's sights.

I still have to get the 1875 Remington smooth-bore over the chrony. That will have to come a bit later....

Cowboy Action Pellet Shooter's Society , anyone? :P

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:08 am 

Doc,

Nice! Thanks for the update. I have enjoyed your extended review.

Cheers!

ColdAir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:00 pm 

Thanks for the fps numbers Doc! Glad to hear the colt saa cartridges can be used on the Ace.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 am 

Thank you for the nice write-up Doc. I've been trying to reduce my collection (sold or given away about 20 guns in the last few months lol) but in a moment of weakness, ordered this.

Replica Air Guns (whom i stopped dealing with due to issues) has it for pre-order at $169.00 less tax & 15 bucks shipping by the way. Supposed to ship December 04.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 am 

Hope you get it in a timely manner.
Just in love with mine.

Changed the grips around with the Colt SAA. Camera battery pancaked, so I won't get the photo's up for a while.
I like the less slick feel of the SAA grips. A smaller phillips bit with a bit of a shaft on it is required. The job is an easy one- the grips are rebated to fit a boss cast in to the frame over the screw holes- not hard to line things up at all.

Ran the Remington over the chrony tonight. It runs in the mid to upper 350's with Crosman 7.4 gr premier points.
Smoothbore does not settle into a velocity zone like the rifled bbl guns do. Extreme spreads are kind of high from 330's to 370's.

Now to track down a 7 1/2" pellet SAA. :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:24 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Hope you get it in a timely manner.
Just in love with mine.

Changed the grips around with the Colt SAA. Camera battery pancaked, so I won't get the photo's up for a while.
I like the less slick feel of the SAA grips. A smaller phillips bit with a bit of a shaft on it is required. The job is an easy one- the grips are rebated to fit a boss cast in to the frame over the screw holes- not hard to line things up at all.

Ran the Remington over the chrony tonight. It runs in the mid to upper 350's with Crosman 7.4 gr premier points.
Smoothbore does not settle into a velocity zone like the rifled bbl guns do. Extreme spreads are kind of high from 330's to 370's.

Now to track down a 7 1/2" pellet SAA. :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Thank you...funny enough, delivery and CC issues were why I stopped dealing with Replica over a year ago....I hope things have improved.

I have one of the 7.5" models, I have not setup my new Caldwell chronograph yet, but I'll tell you the pellets come out of purty fast.

Just cant seem to part with my Colt SAA's, think I have 6 or 7.

Oh, Replica has the 7.5" nickel pellet model with the gold coloured cylinder for 200 bucks, Oshoot can get the normal blued 7.5" pellet from Pyramid, but the price is nuts.