Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:20 am 

The gauntlet is not a viable option. No telling when it would be available in Canada. Could be this week, could be two years, could be never.

I love the idea of the tuned 97. I would've been interested myself but it is 22. There is a lgv in 22 available as well. That would be my top choice for a break barrel.

Harder to choose when you have a nice collection already. I see no sense in buying down. It's why I suggested new glass in the ~$600 price point factoring new mounts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:33 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
The gauntlet is not a viable option. No telling when it would be available in Canada. Could be this week, could be two years, could be never.

I love the idea of the tuned 97. I would've been interested myself but it is 22. There is a lgv in 22 available as well. That would be my top choice for a break barrel.

Harder to choose when you have a nice collection already. I see no sense in buying down. It's why I suggested new glass in the ~$600 price point factoring new mounts.

I agree the Gauntlet is a big gamble.
Most of the scopes I have already are in the $350-$900 range and I’m actually pretty happy with them. I’ll have an extra scope and dampa mount to use if needed. I enjoy the challenge of springers but I’m not great with them. I think pcp is easier but in the $600 constraint a tough go.

The 97 is no doubt a good gun but somehow I feel similar to the tx200 and I wonder if I’d feel like I almost bought the same gun again?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:56 am 

OK, here are my suggestions :) :

The Cometa Orion in pcp, 500$-550$: https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Cometa/

The Walther Terrus and Parrus break barrels with wood stock, 360$ and 390$: https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Walther/

The Diana 34 Premium break barrel @ 413$, 340 NTEC Premium gas ram @ 480$, and 430 Stutzen underlever @ 560$ (my personnal favorite!): https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Diana/

The Benjamin Discovery pcp w/o pump, 450$, and for adjustable power, the Benjamin 392/397 pumpers @ 290$: https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Benjamin-Sheridan/

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 am 

fishguy wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:
I think pcp is easier but in the $600 constraint a tough go.

The 97 is no doubt a good gun but somehow I feel similar to the tx200 and I wonder if I’d feel like I almost bought the same gun again?

If you already have a TX200, I don't see the point of a 97.

Another option would be to open a different bank account and dump the $600 in there... and add money to it whenever possible.
Some 'tricks' that have worked for me.
- Instead of buying coffee and muffin at Tim's/Starbuck... bring them from home... That's at least $5/day
- Instead of eating out, bring you lunch to work... That's another $20/day
- When you think you want a new car... keep on driving your paid-off car... and put the payment in that account. Here's another $400/mount

Next think you know, you'll have the $$ for a Steyr Hunting 5 :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 pm 

airmec wrote:
OK, here are my suggestions :) :

The Cometa Orion in pcp, 500$-550$: https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Cometa/

The Walther Terrus and Parrus break barrels with wood stock, 360$ and 390$: https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Walther/

The Diana 34 Premium break barrel @ 413$, 340 NTEC Premium gas ram @ 480$, and 430 Stutzen underlever @ 560$ (my personnal favorite!): https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Diana/

The Benjamin Discovery pcp w/o pump, 450$, and for adjustable power, the Benjamin 392/397 pumpers @ 290$: https://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Benjamin-Sheridan/

Cheers!

Thanks for the ideas.. I’ve already got the Orion SH model and it is an extremely underrated gun in my opinion. Unbelievably accurate, nice adjustable stock, multishot, power level is easily adjusted by turning a screw, the trigger isn’t quite a rekord but is a solid two stage. It is a steal at the price they sell at currently. I would actually consider getting another in .25. Why they haven’t caught on is beyond me.

I’ll look at the Walther guns.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 pm 

sillymike wrote:
fishguy wrote:
jckstrthmghty wrote:
I think pcp is easier but in the $600 constraint a tough go.

If you already have a TX200, I don't see the point of a 97.

Another option would be to open a different bank account and dump the $600 in there... and add money to it whenever possible.
Some 'tricks' that have worked for me.
- Instead of buying coffee and muffin at Tim's/Starbuck... bring them from home... That's at least $5/day
- Instead of eating out, bring you lunch to work... That's another $20/day
- When you think you want a new car... keep on driving your paid-off car... and put the payment in that account. Here's another $400/mount

Next think you know, you'll have the $$ for a Steyr Hunting 5 :D

While I agree and have done the saving thing previously I think I’ve maxed out my budget for a long time. The $600 is about it. I can’t justify more than that with well over 5 figures into the Airguns I have, not including the powder burners... so unless I clear out a couple, I won’t be going big.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm 

Does it have to be a "rifle" ?

Looking at your signature, I don't see any PCP pistol?

The Artemis PP700 seems to be getting decent reviews

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:13 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Does it have to be a "rifle" ?

Looking at your signature, I don't see any PCP pistol?

The Artemis PP700 seems to be getting decent reviews

I can’t find that one available in Canada? Krale has it but it’s specs suggest it would be an rpal pistol?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm 

Yep they would be rpal otherwise this would be a great choice along with the newer version that has the black grips.
Very popular in the US and Europe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 am 

So after much ado... I went with a Diana p1000 in .22.

Dan had one last one left in the forum store for an incredible price. I ended up being able to sell another scope mount and made up the difference for the little extra it cost. It just arrived today and my impressions are that it’s excellent. The initial release issues have all been addressed and it is well worth the price. I’ll post a proper review in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 am 

Congrats! I look forward to your review!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am 

Yup, addiction plain and simple.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 am 

jckstrthmghty wrote:
Yup, addiction plain and simple.

I’m afraid you’re incorrect good sir... clearly this was a necessity!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:34 pm 

Looking forward to the review. I wonder what the shot string looks like...