Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: 14.5" Barrels
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 pm 

Does anyone know what would replace 2289-001 barrel? From what I can find, the part number is obsolete. I'm looking for a 14.5" barrel without the recess for the barrel band grub screw for a 2289 build I'm doing. Any info would be appreciated. Tia, Ken

Post subject: Re: 14.5" Barrels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:56 pm 

You can get the original, with a dimple, here: http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/pro ... rrel-p-463

There are other sources too. Not quite sure where you could find one without the dimple though, maybe a custom machined QB78 one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm 

Didn't the 2289 come with a 12" barrel?

I'm not sure whether it has a dimple or not, but I've seen the 12" barrel for sale at Alliance Hobby (USA). It does have the flat part at the muzzle for the stock front sight. If you're planning to use a muzzle brake, then maybe you can just turn the barrel over so that the dimple is on the bottom?

I'm using a 14" on my 1322 myself, the dimple doesn't really bother me and it gives me an alignment cue too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm 

Thanks for the help guys. The 2289G I got from Mr.Marvin is 14.5". It's longer than the others I've seen online.
I'm planning on a polished version, so the dimple would definitely stick out and bother me. I don't think I can turn the barrel over, because wouldn't the barrel port be 180 off?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:49 pm 

You should be able to polish the dimple. Just have to completely remove the bluing ( boiled vinegar ). And get a fine tip felt polishing and metal polish. Then polish it up. Shouldn't be too noticeable.

I polished one of my 1911's and got the engraving fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:01 pm 

You can buy discovery barrels from Dlairgun for $29, 24". Not sure if they have dimples but they might be far enough ahead that when you chop the barrel to 14.5" it will be lopped off. Kelly seems like a good guy to deal with, and seems to like people to call him, so might be worth giving him a call or email and checking with him. questions@dlairgun.com
Phone number (604) 533-3556

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:59 pm 

ratchetman wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. The 2289G I got from Mr.Marvin is 14.5". It's longer than the others I've seen online.
I'm planning on a polished version, so the dimple would definitely stick out and bother me. I don't think I can turn the barrel over, because wouldn't the barrel port be 180 off?

I believe the early versions of the 2289G came with a 12'' barrel, and second version with a 14.5'' barrel (or is it the opposite?). I think they were even offered with a 18'' barrel in the UK, but not sure about that, maybe it's the 2250.

I take it you won't be using a barrel band, if you say the dimple will stand out. Will you be using a steel breech? If so, I strongly suggest re-drilling and tapping at the very least one other grub screw hole, so your barrel is held firmly. And yes, if you turn the barrel over, the TP will be off, you'd have to cut about 1/2'' off and have a new TP and leade machined.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:38 pm 

There is a longer steel breech that would provide more stability for a free floating barrel. There is several options but this brass one may look good (or not?) with the polished barrel. It has two grub screws. http://www.canadashootingsupply.ca/bras ... ights.html

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:05 pm 

All the 22-89's I've had with the 14" stock bbl have had the dimple for the 22-60 bbl band set screw. Just a matter of manufacturer's simplified procurement.

Not really a fan of polished off bluing as a matter of personal taste, and as a hunter. I like leaving that layer of minimal corrosion protection as is, again a matter of personal taste.

Those 22-89 bbls can be surprisingly accurate in .22...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:44 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
All the 22-89's I've had with the 14" stock bbl have had the dimple for the 22-60 bbl band set screw. Just a matter of manufacturer's simplified procurement.

Not really a fan of polished off bluing as a matter of personal taste, and as a hunter. I like leaving that layer of minimal corrosion protection as is, again a matter of personal taste.

Those 22-89 bbls can be surprisingly accurate in .22...

-D.S.

I'm thinking I'm going to nickel plate this one, stave off any corrosion.
I might just order a LW barrel and have it machined when I get back from the ice roads in April.
I've been reading alot on the forums about aftermarket barrels such as TJ's etc. but can't seem to find anything recent about where I can actually purchase something. Maybe I'm just following the wrong links or wording my searches incorrectly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:22 am 

Crosman lists Lothar Walther bbls on their site~ Currently 10.1" and 14" in .177 and .22 are available- but they do not ship to Canada.
Might be do-able through Pyramyd Air... I won't start pursuing anymore a/g project financing until well after Christmas....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:23 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Crosman lists Lothar Walther bbls on their site~ Currently 10.1" and 14" in .177 and .22 are available- but they do not ship to Canada.
Might be do-able through Pyramyd Air...

I've seen those in the Custom Shop, but can't find any part #'s, I'd definitely would try to get one from Pyramyd Air or Oshoot if I could.