Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:05 pm 

NOE has decided to take my revised pellet design to Group Buy in .30 cal.... http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php ... 360.0.html

It will be available only in their "RG" base pin system, and 3 sets of pins of different depths will be supplied.... allowing you to cast 3 different weights, of 59, 62 and 66 gr. (shown).... The moulds are a nose pour design.... Please note that the skirt is 0.308", but the head is 0.300", just like JSBs.... The length will fit in the AirGunLab modified MRod magazines, and Flex mags....

2 and 4 cavity moulds will be available, in brass or aluminum.... Those signing up will get a 15% discount upon production.... 10 orders are required before the tooling will be made....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:05 pm 

If we get 1 more guy in the next 3 hours, we will have the 10 orders required in just one day.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 pm 

This Group Buy has moved to Last Call.... http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php ... 360.0.html

Get your name on the list now or pay full price....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm 

This Group Buy is now closed.... I will post when it hits the NOE Store, you can buy it then, Al always seems to make extras....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 pm 

From Al at NOE, posted in the Closed Group Buy thread....

Quote:
Moulds are ran.
RG pins are in the works
Should finish them up mid next week.

Bullet maker, maker
Al Nelson

Not long now !!!

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 pm 

The moulds for this pellet are done and in the store.... http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php? ... 74_378_532

If you participated in the Group Buy, you should get your Discount Code shortly....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:16 pm 

I finally had a chance to pour some pellets today.... Al surprised me by sending everyone a fourth set of pins to make a flat base, 73 gr. pellet as well.... I cast all four versions, and here is what they look like.... Virtually all of the solid base pellets were great, but about half the skirted pellets got tossed back into the pot because the back edge of the skirt had a slight notch from improper fill-out (regardless of the skirt depth).... This was despite running the pot at over 800*F, preheating the mold, and using a fast tempo while casting.... It looks like these pellets will take a while to learn the best technique.... but I'm sure I can reduce the reject rate with practice....

I used 40:1 lead/tin (2.5% tin) and got the following weights....

Deep base pin = 59.3 gr.
Medium base pin = 62.9 gr.
Shallow base pin = 65.7 gr.
Flat base pin = 73.3 gr.

I tethered my .30 cal BRod at 2900 psi, and adjusted the velocity so that the 59 gr. pellet was just under 1000 fps, and got the following for a 5 shot average.... I shot some 50.2 gr. JSBs for comparison.... The chambering effort for the 59 gr. was no different than the JSB, but as the weight increased and the bolt probe pushed the pellet deeper into the throat of the chamber, the effort went up a bit.... However, even the 73 gr. solid chambered in my TJ's barrel just fine, and at 0.301" groove it is tighter than most .30 cal airgun barrels.... so I don't anticipate anyone having chambering issues....

59 gr. = 987 fps (128 FPE)
63 gr. = 944 fps (124 FPE)
66 gr. = 955 fps (133 FPE)
73 gr. = 881 fps (126 FPE)
50 gr. JSB = 1039 fps (120 FPE)

For some reason the 63 gr. (medium base pin) pellets were a bit down on velocity compared to the 66 gr.... The bolt probe in this gun is 0.109", so smaller than the bottom of the recess in the deepest skirt, so the loading depths should progress in a logical order, with the flat base loading the deepest and the lightest pellet the shallowest, so I don't think that is the reason.... This leaves me to conclude that the shallowest base (the 66 gr. pellet), and of course the solid, flat base (73 gr.) are not obturating in the same way, and have less friction as they travel down the bore.... I'm sure the are sealing fine, because the back of the skirt is 0.308", and the head is 0.301".... but it is likely that the deep and medium base pellet skirts are blowing out a bit from the air pressure (as is normal for pellets) which is adding some bore drag.... I can't think of any other reason that the 66 gr. pellet should shoot faster than the 63 gr.... but it did so consistently in this gun....

My backstop inside my shop is only 20 ft. away, but I can usually spot pellets that aren't promising because groups don't just leave one ragged hole at that distance.... In this case, all 5 pellets tested, the JSB and all 4 weights of the NOE pellets, left just one ragged hole about 1/2" OD, with no consistent variation between the different weights.... I am hopeful they will provide good accuracy at range.... but is it very likely that others will get a chance to find out long before I do.... The nice thing is that by tethering my BRod at 2900 psi I have enough power to drive any of these weights into the mid 900s, even the 73 gr. solid....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:53 pm 

I finally got a chance to shoot these pellets at range today, using the BRod setup described above.... I also shot a group with the 44.8 gr. JSBs and the 50.2 gr. JSBs as well, at the same tune.... Pretty high velocities (almost supersonic with the 44.8 gr), but I wanted to compare the NOE pellets to the JSBs at the same 120-130 FPE tune.... Here are the targets at 50 yards....

When this gun is tuned down to about 90 FPE, it shoots the 44.8 gr. JSBs a bit better than the 50.2 gr., so the larger group for the 44.8 gr. is probably due to the high velocity.... As you can see, the 63 gr. (middle weight) NOE pellet shot a little tighter than the 50.2 gr. JSBs, which really pleases me.... The 59 gr. NOE was second, with the 44.8 gr. JSBs third.... The 66 gr. NOE started to open up, and the 73 gr. was really starting to scatter, but of course it really isn't a skirted pellet, the base is completely flat, it was just an experiment.... I shot some 7 shot groups at 100 yards, and I could see the 73 gr. spiralling, and only 5 of 7 shots hit the paper.... The 66 gr. shot a 4.5" group at 100, but the 59 gr. and 63 gr. at 100 yards shot similar size groups at 2-2.5" in a gusty 2-10 mph wind, with no holdoff to allow for the wind....

All I all, I am VERY pleased with the NOE pellets.... In this gun, using a TJ's barrel, the two lighter pellets were definitely superior, so I will cast more of those to experiment with.... I don't know if the change in group size is a velocity affect, with the 63 gr. running in a sweet spot.... or if there is a stability difference between the different weights.... Certainly a different gun may have a different weight preference.... Like with any other pellet, your gun will tell you what it likes and doesn't.... but I can say comfortably that these new NOE pellets work great, and are certainly worth a try if your gun has the power to use them....

Bob