Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:49 pm 

So, tired of dealing with the constant lock-up issues on my break-barrel, I'm considering something drastic.

Anyone tried building an off-set scope mount onto the barrel? The scope would be about 6" further forward than normal, so I'd probably need to change/modify the stock into a shorter pistol grip.

I saw pics online where someone had done this, but can't find them now.

I've got a parts gun that I can cut the top of the receiver off of for the dovetail for the mount. Wish me luck! I'd appreciate any advice if anyone's gone this route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 pm 

Lightening the gun will increase scope stress. I do not know what a lock-up problem is that will or may be remedied by altering the scope mount to the barrel & shortening the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:35 pm 

post503487.html?hilit=break%20barrel%20lock#p503487

No pics there (thanks to Photobucket)

There are some threads out there for putting a scout mount on a mosin nagant that might be useful. It involved screwing a rail to a piece of pipe and fixing the pipe around the barrel with glass bed.

For us I'd screw the dovetail to the bar, screw the bar to a pipe, slip the pipe over the barrel and epoxy. Poor mans cantilever scope mount. I guess if you are willing to cut up a grooved tube that will be even easier.

I still haven't gotten around to it but it's on my list.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:47 pm 

Anatine Duo wrote:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/post503487.html?hilit=break%20barrel%20lock#p503487

No pics there (thanks to Photobucket)

There are some threads out there for putting a scout mount on a mosin nagant that might be useful. It involved screwing a rail to a piece of pipe and fixing the pipe around the barrel with glass bed.

For us I'd screw the dovetail to the bar, screw the bar to a pipe, slip the pipe over the barrel and epoxy. Poor mans cantilever scope mount. I guess if you are willing to cut up a grooved tube that will be even easier.

I still haven't gotten around to it but it's on my list.

The Jmeck mount like that. Just a rail with a band that clamps around the receiver.

You could do something like this. Clamp a couple to the barrel.

But you will need to use a scout scope. Only issue with scout scopes is that the FOV is less at higher range. Most you will get is a 7x. scout scopes or pistol scopes allow 7 -9" of eye relief.

But if its a crosman should be 2 tapped holes under the barrel. That you can try and match the hole pattern with a weaver mount and screw it on. If the contour doesn't fit the best. place some sand paper and rub the mount over till it gets you a better contour.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:18 pm 

I’ll post some pics up once the JB Weld sets. I had to put the non-PAL internals back in since it looks more like a pirate’s blunderbuss than any legal firearm.

Basically i mounted a dovetail rail (cut from a spare airgun) to the top of the breech block extending back about halfway down the receiver. Too far forward for a traditional scope/rifle, so I also cut the shoulder stock off behind the grip. I packed as much lead weight into what’s left of the synthetic stock as I could.

Should be a little awkward to shoot, at least it will be different!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:25 pm 

Attachment:
9864370E-EF98-4B64-87EA-DEC861317336.jpeg
9864370E-EF98-4B64-87EA-DEC861317336.jpeg [ 620.31 KiB | Viewed 1219 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:27 pm 

987654321 wrote:
I’ll post some pics up once the JB Weld sets. I had to put the non-PAL internals back in since it looks more like a pirate’s blunderbuss than any legal firearm.

Basically i mounted a dovetail rail (cut from a spare airgun) to the top of the breech block extending back about halfway down the receiver. Too far forward for a traditional scope/rifle, so I also cut the shoulder stock off behind the grip. I packed as much lead weight into what’s left of the synthetic stock as I could.

Should be a little awkward to shoot, at least it will be different!

You should have just put a scout or extended eye relief scope on. Would saved you from cutting the stock and still use it as a rifle. Than cutting it to try and use a standard eye relief scope.

You can never go back to that being a PAL rated airgun. Because it would be deemed a prohib. Cut barrel and cut stock.

Also if you want the JB to actually hold and not break first shot. You'll need more than a elastic band holding it, and the weight of the scope doesn't help either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:34 am 
Site Moderator

You could also work on the lock-up problem. Shim barrel washers, stiffer plunger spring, fitted hinge bolt and bushing, moly paste, proper fitting breech seal. It's worth a try.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:25 pm 

Looks kinda interesting. I'm imagining a giant over the shoulder holster... fun plinker if it holds together.

I had a glued on improvised mount fall off with the help of my 3 year old... just glued it again and good to go. That wasn't a springer though (150 ftlb pcp)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pm 

Update: JB Weld has held together so far (maybe 50 rounds?). More accurate than before, IF I'm shooting rested. Trying to shoot off-hand with no shoulder stock is not much fun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 pm 

Guys trying the pistol-grip shotguns on our bear course, found out they were useless. Bear got them before they could hit it with slugs. Shoulders stocks were a must have feature for even semi-accurate standing shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm 

http://www.airgunrendezvous.com/rendezv ... tachment=1

not sure if this link will work...

Have you tried this position?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 pm 

Anatine Duo wrote:
http://www.airgunrendezvous.com/rendezvous/file.php?12,file=1222,in_body_attachment=1

not sure if this link will work...

Have you tried this position?

Permission denied: links to files in the forum are only allowed from the forum itself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 pm 

I tried to find another spot but failed. I saw Gary Barnes shooting a big long pistol with rifle scope by folding his arms. Fore end of the gun goes into the crook of your off arm.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=gary+bar ... KwY9oriyFM:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:05 pm 

do you mean this one...